Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

8-valve, 500+ hp 944 Turbo - Excellence #82 Dec 1998

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2007, 02:51 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No. Wrong issue too. If it was sold, that was Bob Howard's car. Long story and problems behind that car. But that's not the car Todd started this thread on.

Old 01-01-2007, 03:15 PM
SoloRacer
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

I decided to get off my butt and dig out the Excellence collection. I found the issue and now I remember this article. It's red with Fikse wheels. Some pretty impressive numbers are listed in the article. Anyone know where the car is today? Does Mr. Gillies still have it? The article also mentions numerous track days. I'm going to do a search on the web and see if I can find some lap times.
Old 01-01-2007, 03:19 PM
SoloRacer
Drifting

I did a little search and found this:

http://www.968.net/modifications/powerhaus_turbo.htm

It appears the engine in the Excellence magazine didn't last long.
Take a look at the dyno comparison. Even though the new 3.0 turbo made less peak power it makes much more all over.
Old 01-01-2007, 03:31 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by SoloRacer
I did a little search and found this:

http://www.968.net/modifications/powerhaus_turbo.htm

Take a look at the dyno comparison. Even though the new 3.0 turbo made less peak power it makes much more all over.
Correct, it didn't last long and blew up. Live and learn. For me, these charts are very old, I saw them over 3 years ago and analyzed them.

Old 01-01-2007, 07:10 PM
wjk_glynn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 493 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by SoloRacer
Nope.

The PowerHaus built 2.8L engine with stock injectors ran very reliably for over 60K miles, and this included lots of track days. This is the engine in the Excellence article

It blew-up "after installing the Huntley Level-IV+ parts: ARC-II, injectors, and associated nonsense" (according to http://www.968.net/modifications/powerhaus_turbo.htm).

In fact, the car owner went back to PowerHaus to get have a 3.0L turbo engine built after the 2.8L grenaded.

Karl.
Old 01-01-2007, 07:40 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Porschefile
To convert lb/hr units into CC's, multiply by 10.5: 37# x 10.5 = 388.5. I said 370cc to be a bit conservative as there can always be differences in flow from an injector to injector. The stock injectors are rated at the stock fuel pressure of 2.5 bar AFAIK. Running 3 bar will increase the flow capability of the injectors a bit. Here is an official source if you want to double check my math :

RC Engineering
I would call RC and ask them about that calculator. Last time I called and went over a flow rate, they told me that their Internet calculator was off. This was last year though. I'm sure there are others you can use, besides this one that Danno used and everyone knows from him.

Old 01-01-2007, 10:09 PM
Porschefile
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're a funny guy Rolex, equating my comments with Danno as if that should automatically invalidate anything I say. RC Engineering is a large and reputable company. The conversion factor may be off by a small amount, however it's close enough. The stock injectors would have to flow a SIGNIFICANT amount more to be physically capable of flowing the volume of fuel required to make 400+whp on a 951 running the typical ~3bar of fuel pressure. The fact remains, there is no substantiating evidence to suggest that it would be possible on stock injectors.
Old 01-01-2007, 10:24 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Porschefile
You're a funny guy Rolex, equating my comments with Danno as if that should automatically invalidate anything I say. RC Engineering is a large and reputable company.
You missed the point, totally. Point being that calculator that Danno has told people to use on here may be off, that's it, dont read into it. Chill dude.

Old 01-02-2007, 01:35 AM
Laust Pedersen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RolexNJ
I would call RC and ask them about that calculator. Last time I called and went over a flow rate, they told me that their Internet calculator was off. This was last year though. I'm sure there are others you can use, besides this one that Danno used and everyone knows from him.

Rolex,

Since nobody else took you up on the verification challenge and these are very simple formulas, I tested RC Engineering’s calculator out and found a couple insignificant errors. Also, I have to take their bsfc recommendations at face value, but the end-result seems to correspond to my previous energy calculations.

The calculator does not take into account fractions of fuel pressure (in psi). Only whole numbers can be used (a random error between 0% and 3%).

The unit conversion factor of 10.5 for gasoline flow between lb/hr and cc/min is slightly off and should be 1 lb/hr = 453.6 g/hr = 7.56 g/min = 10.23 cc/min with the assumption that the specific gravity of gasoline is 0.739 g/cc (a systematic error of 2.6%).

Referring to fuel pressure as “System fuel pressure @ fuel rail” is only valid for a N/A car at WOT. A more correct term could be “Pressure drop across injector in- and outlet”, which a typical fuel pressure regulator keeps constant.

It is worthwhile noting that they are only referring to bhp or flywheel HP.

A frequently occurring (minor) flow mislabeling comes from the fact that injector retailers use a flow-test fluid with slightly different properties than gasoline. So for example an injector that flows 72 lb/hr of gasoline flows 75 lb/hr of test fluid, see Racetronix .

All in all, after going through it in detail, I find RC Engineering’s calculator fully adequate for sizing injectors.

Laust
Old 01-02-2007, 02:15 AM
JET951
Drifting

Received 82 Likes on 48 Posts

well said Laust
Old 01-02-2007, 02:22 AM
Keithr726
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by mtnman82
I don't know how you guys can concentrate after rocket makes a post (drooooooooooollll!!!!). Who is that most beautiful woman in your avatar, rocket???
+1

OOOOO double d boobies
Old 01-02-2007, 03:23 AM
SoloRacer
Drifting

Originally Posted by Karl Glynn
Nope.

The PowerHaus built 2.8L engine with stock injectors ran very reliably for over 60K miles, and this included lots of track days. This is the engine in the Excellence article

It blew-up "after installing the Huntley Level-IV+ parts: ARC-II, injectors, and associated nonsense" (according to http://www.968.net/modifications/powerhaus_turbo.htm).

In fact, the car owner went back to PowerHaus to get have a 3.0L turbo engine built after the 2.8L grenaded.

Karl.
Question is why did he install a bunch of Huntley parts if the car was running reliably and making exceptional power for 60k miles? I'm not judging anyone here, I'm just wondering what happened and why.
Old 01-03-2007, 01:07 AM
billindenver
Burning Brakes

Porschefile, you really are a touchy and emotional kind of guy. Anything anyone says that you in your 'experience' disagree with must be an attack on your personal integrity. You really need to relax. Have you built any 951's that hang with Rolex's? His 'experience' is in THIS car..how many modified 951's have you built? If you don't choose to believe dyno charts, that is your choice. If you don't choose to believe people posting with no objective other than to inform others, that is also your choice. But if it really takes you 8 years to build ONE car....seriously, give those with experience the benefit of the doubt.

So the powerhaus 2.8 on stock injectors is impossible. My car is impossible (80k miles in this impossible build). Rolex is smearing you to promote his love of fuzzy wuzzy bears. It really doesn't matter how many people tell you their actual experience differs from your mathmatics does it? You must be some kind of misunderstood genius.

Ok, I'll bite...what is your experience in the 951 line? How many heavily modified motors have you built and tuned yourself? I mean seriously, if you are going to poo-poo on everyone who disagrees with you...lets hear your resume. Post some of the dyno charts from engines you have built and tuned yourself or for the love of god pipe down and admit to yourself that you might be wrong. Is it really that hard for you? Do you honestly think you are going to convince anyone that you know more than powerhaus? Post up the proof of your knowledge and I might lean towards believing the car in my garage hasn't really run so well for so long.

Wanna race for that beer now? Oh and by the way...anything you build...don't ever put it up against anything Rolex is driving.

Bill
89 951
Old 01-03-2007, 01:50 AM
DFASTEST951
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey Solo, I have that answer. Grahm let Huntley convince him that there was more power to be had by installing the parts mentioned here. He went back to ask David at Powerhaus what he thought. He said don't do it or you'll be back for a rebuild. He did it anyway and it grenaded as David said it would so he went back for the 3.0 liter build. I was there through most all of both builds as my car was in and out often then. You should have seen how badly it blew from Huntley's products. Hence Derek has since left the industry.
Old 01-03-2007, 02:23 AM
JET951
Drifting

Received 82 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by billindenver
Porschefile, you really are a touchy and emotional kind of guy. Anything anyone says that you in your 'experience' disagree with must be an attack on your personal integrity. You really need to relax. Have you built any 951's that hang with Rolex's? His 'experience' is in THIS car..how many modified 951's have you built? If you don't choose to believe dyno charts, that is your choice. If you don't choose to believe people posting with no objective other than to inform others, that is also your choice. But if it really takes you 8 years to build ONE car....seriously, give those with experience the benefit of the doubt.

So the powerhaus 2.8 on stock injectors is impossible. My car is impossible (80k miles in this impossible build). Rolex is smearing you to promote his love of fuzzy wuzzy bears. It really doesn't matter how many people tell you their actual experience differs from your mathmatics does it? You must be some kind of misunderstood genius.

Ok, I'll bite...what is your experience in the 951 line? How many heavily modified motors have you built and tuned yourself? I mean seriously, if you are going to poo-poo on everyone who disagrees with you...lets hear your resume. Post some of the dyno charts from engines you have built and tuned yourself or for the love of god pipe down and admit to yourself that you might be wrong. Is it really that hard for you? Do you honestly think you are going to convince anyone that you know more than powerhaus? Post up the proof of your knowledge and I might lean towards believing the car in my garage hasn't really run so well for so long.

Wanna race for that beer now? Oh and by the way...anything you build...don't ever put it up against anything Rolex is driving.

Bill
89 951
so by going off your post must we all just agree with each other and get along? i quite like this technical discussion, why must porschefile pipe down? he brings like others on these forums, infomation. if it werent for this infomation what would be the point of even havings these forums. whats wrong with someone wanting to move our cars into the 21st century, there is a lot better technology out there we should be looking for it.

why did you bring Rolex into this either, i dont want to disrespect Rolex but i dont think he builds 951 engines, he relies on advice from others as to which way to go. so really the experience is somewhat left to others in the game.

Quick Reply: 8-valve, 500+ hp 944 Turbo - Excellence #82 Dec 1998