Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

How to connect a testpipe to wastegate dump tube?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 06:50 PM
Maciek
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to connect a testpipe to wastegate dump tube?

I recently bought a bursch test pipe and it came with a flange. My stock cat has a slip on type of joint with no flange. How do I connect the two? Any thoughts?
Old 12-27-2006, 08:59 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

You have two choices -- 1) find a flange from a later style wastegate dump tube and use it with the flange on the bursch (available at places like Parts Heaven) or 2) cut the flange off the bursch test pipe and use the clamp your car came with.

I cut the flange off my Bursch testpipe, but later regretted it when I discovered how much nicer the flange set-up is. For my new SFR test-pipe, I went to Parts Heaven and picked up a used flange for $10 if memory serves.

Option 1.5 would be to tie the flange out of the way with wire and use your existing clamp arrangement until you get a new flange -- but be prepared for rattling.
Old 12-28-2006, 12:04 AM
Maciek
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tom,

Would it make sense to buy the entire wastegate dump tube with the flange? Then I wouldnt have to have this thing welded? Does the different style bolt up to the wastegate in the same fashion?

Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 12-28-2006, 12:16 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

I'd snap a picture for you, but my Dell laptop malfunctioned and their warranty service has been astonishingly and offensively unhelpful to date, but I digress....

No need to weld anything -- the other flange just slides freely on the dump tube. You bolt the two flanges together squishing the exhaust donut between them.

Quick Reply: How to connect a testpipe to wastegate dump tube?