Periodic start issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 06:08 PM
dime1622
I never notice, anyway
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Periodic start issues

I'm having problems with the car wanting to start only some of the time. Sometimes it starts just perfectly. Other times, it just cranks and cranks and never fires. Then every now and then it'll crank and crank for maybe 10-15 sec and finally fire. The fuel pump runs when the key is turned.

It's really random, too. Sometimes it'll sit for several days then not start. Then it'll sit a few more days and suddenly start. Sometimes it'll sit for only 30 minutes and then not start. I haven't noticed any relationship to weather, as I thought maybe I was having problems due to condensation/rain. Could it be my computer? Should I swap out my chips for my stock chips? I'm really lost here as this happens 50% of the time.

I also know it's not a problem with engine speed because hooking up another battery to see if I have enough cranking amps doesn't change the situation. The ref and speed sensors are new as of last fall. I gotta get this thing on the road as it needs to drive 1600 miles to AZ next week :/ Any ideas?
Old 12-27-2006, 06:38 PM
dime1622
I never notice, anyway
Rennlist Member

Ok I just got her started by pulling out the DME and KLR boxes. I held the key in the start position and tapped on the boxes and she fired. I don't know if I just got lucky and she started or if the knocking on the computer boxes (I knocked on both the DME and KLR boxes, though I think it was on the DME that it fired up) did the trick. If this is the problem, what is my remedy?
Old 12-27-2006, 06:57 PM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Source a new DME/KLR maybe? I've never heard of anyone knocking them to get them to work tho. Have you opened them up and checked to see if anythings deteriorated?
Old 12-27-2006, 07:04 PM
dime1622
I never notice, anyway
Rennlist Member

Haven't opened them up yet. I'll be able to get to that tomorrow when I have light to work with, but as of now, it's sitting in a parking lot with no available light.

When I first started having these starting problems, I searched the boards, and someone had gotten theirs to work by pounding on the floorboard. It may be corrosion, possibly caused by a leak from the battery tray. I'll find out more when it's light again.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:21 PM
FRZ
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you find the problem??
Old 04-07-2011, 10:40 PM
Willard Bridgham 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Check the soldered connections in the DME. Re-solder if necessary.
Old 04-08-2011, 02:40 AM
Grandpa#3
Three Wheelin'

Location: Hawkinsville / Perry, Georgia, RETIRED USAF GO BLUE

X1 on Cold Solder Cracks in the DME.

Cheers,
Larry
Old 04-08-2011, 12:05 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Wow another old thread (2006!) Kudos to FRZ for clearly utilizing the "search" function though!

I'll add to this thread as a "something to check" for the next person who uses the search function...

My car at one point developed the random "no-start" issue. My reference sensors crumbled when I removed them (like old cheese, literally, the connectors crumbled.) So I replaced them with brand new ones from Pelican. And on random occasion, I'd STILL get a no-start.

The whole "jiggle the wires" trick always did it. Even with the brand new sensors.

My theory (just a theory)... the signal that comes over these wires is pretty weak. The two wires, when routed right next to each other, can sometimes cause interference with each other and cause the car to not start. By simply moving the wires around a little, you eliminate the interference.

I haven't had a no-start issue since I made sure to route the two reference sensor wires separately and keep them away from one another.

Quick Reply: Periodic start issues