Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Tail Spring Rate?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2006, 10:55 PM
Bustadouglass
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tail Spring Rate?

Hey ppl. I was wondering if someone could tell me the spring rate in a Tial 46mm wastegate. I just got a new AEM Tru Boost controller cuz my last one was stolen, and i need to input the spring rate when tuning it.

BTW If anybody has any basic values to use in the controller that would help, cuz i dont really know what the hell im doing when setting this bad boi or where to start?

Thanks
Old 12-24-2006, 11:47 PM
Porschefile
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's Tial's PDF that shows you the color and diameter of the springs to determine the spring rate: Tial Sport
The only surefire way to know is to take the housing apart and look at the spring, then compare it to the chart above. It's easy to take apart. Just remove the allen head screws on the upper housing, though be careful because it is under alot of pressure due to the spring. You'll need to put quite a bit of force on the top of the housing to remove it and to reinstall it.

I don't know much about the Truboost controller, though judging by what their description says, it sounds like it has a "gain" function that you can adjust. Gain is simply an adjustment for solenoid response time. This has the effect of increasing or decreasing spool time by making the solenoid react more quickly or slowly. If it does in fact have this function, you are going to want to adjust it. Most of the time, boost controllers are shipped with the gain turned all the way down. The exact range of adjustment differs from unit to unit. Generally most seem to be something like a 0 to 100 range. Anyways, you will want to adjust this to acheive quicker boost response. You'll need to start off low and slowly work your way up. Increasing the gain too much can cause boost spikes among other things. I don't think there is any real rocket science behind the "correct" gain setting, so it's more a matter of trial and error. Start off slowly, turn the gain up a small increment at a time, run it through 4th gear to see what kind of effect it has, and eventually you will reach a point where going any higher and on sudden acceleration you will start to see small boost spikes. Also, just FYI but the "proper" gain will differ from turbo to turbo. You always have to start from zero when switching the unit between different turbo setups as you can run into problems if the gain is way too high, or your spool could be much too slow if the gain is too low. I hope this makes sense.

Quick Reply: Tail Spring Rate?