944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Running Car with no exhaust???

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2006 | 04:56 PM
BlacknRedGT
Pro

ok... an update: Travis (Porschefile) came over last night and helped me out. We basically just took the part of the crossover pipe that comes off the turbo off to get some more room. Then while I held the exhaust from below we both helped the v-band clamp get on both pipes then i held it together while he got it clamped in enough so we could tighten the bolt down. Talked to Wes at LR and he said there was no need to remove that part of the crossover-pipe but I think it would be nearly impossible w/o doing it. FYI - If you are going to purchase the 3 inch downpipe from LR then you will need to modify the heat shield where the dp runs by. Wes at LR has a picture and i will try to post one up of what needs to be done when I finish my car so everyone can see. Not a big deal but I was never told that until I figured out something isnt right.

Thanks again to Travis for helping me.
Old 12-21-2006 | 04:59 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Just like my LR Super 75 was a "direct" bold on with no modifications needed.
Old 12-21-2006 | 05:42 PM
hot-J
Three Wheelin'

so its all on?
Old 12-21-2006 | 05:50 PM
BlacknRedGT
Pro

well the whole exhaust isnt on yet... although it will be in a few hours after I get home.... most of the rest of the exhaust is just a slip fit. and what all did you have to do for the super 75 todd??? I want to upgrade my turbo pretty soon since I now know how to pull everything apart What kind of numbers did you get out of it?
Old 12-21-2006 | 06:16 PM
special tool
Banned

Porschefile successfully assisted you?
With hand, or encouragement?
Old 12-21-2006 | 07:37 PM
BlacknRedGT
Pro

lol special tool...... he did help me hold some bolts and helped out on the vband clamp... I have another question, but Im going to start another thread just so I can get the exhaust and xover pipe on tonight
Old 12-21-2006 | 07:50 PM
Porschefile
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by special tool
Porschefile successfully assisted you?
With hand, or encouragement?
Lol, not much help I'm afraid as holding a v-band clamp in place isn't that complicated a job.

No problem BlacknRedGT, just let me know if you need any more help. Just FYI but, the Super 75 is a 600+rwhp turbo (with the proper hotside). That's a bit beyond the goals of many people here so you might want to look at something a bit smaller if you just want say 300-400hp.
Old 12-21-2006 | 07:57 PM
BlacknRedGT
Pro

ohh ok.. didnt realize it was such a big turbo.... My car should be laying down 300 as is (of course it is running really rich low/mid range because it leans out like crazy towards redline (Authority Stage 2 chip). I would be really happy with a turbo that can get me in the 400-450 range without having to spend thousands for a dyno to tune my car.
Old 12-21-2006 | 11:32 PM
Porschefile
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by BlacknRedGT
ohh ok.. didnt realize it was such a big turbo.... My car should be laying down 300 as is (of course it is running really rich low/mid range because it leans out like crazy towards redline (Authority Stage 2 chip). I would be really happy with a turbo that can get me in the 400-450 range without having to spend thousands for a dyno to tune my car.
At the point that you want to make 400-450whp on a 951, you are going to be spending a significant amount regardless, that is if you want to make it reliably. Much above 350whp and then things like cams, intake manifolds, etc start to become more important which can add to the cost considerably. You could of course cut out some of the cost by just using a big turbo like the Super75 to make up for the restrictions in some of the stock stuff (at those power levels) like the intake. If you want to cut costs, I'd seriously consider going with tuned chips from somebody like John at Vitesse. He's been able to squeeze quite a bit of power from the stock Motronic, and it could potentially save you several thousand over converting to a standalone.
Old 12-22-2006 | 12:07 AM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Porschefile
If you want to cut costs, I'd seriously consider going with tuned chips from somebody like John at Vitesse. He's been able to squeeze quite a bit of power from the stock Motronic, and it could potentially save you several thousand over converting to a standalone.
Not could, can. Been there, done that. His chips would be the best thing for him to do at this point, and a MAF kit too. Right out of the box, John's chips are between 95 to 98% on the money. No more hours, and hours of tuning, either on a dyno or street driving too. You can plug, play, and drive, and be rest assured the A/F will be perfect regardless of the PSI level he runs. This will be the best investment to build upon as he has more mulah in the future.

BlacknRedGT: Talk to John, trust me you won't regret it!!

Old 12-22-2006 | 01:04 AM
Guns951
Race Car

^^^I second that motion. If I wasn't going so "crazy" I'd go with John's setup. Can't beat the support, the knowledge or the quality. I may not be getting his electronics due to my application but I am getting his Stage V turbo because I know there isn't a better one to be had.

Do yourself a favor and listen to those that have put their money where their mouth is and see what they have to say about his setups. Remember you ALWAYS get what you pay for, no exceptions its pay now or pay later.
Old 12-22-2006 | 01:16 PM
BlacknRedGT
Pro

Alright.. Thanks for the info
Old 12-22-2006 | 01:38 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by BlacknRedGT
Alright.. Thanks for the info
Yup, been down several roads with both MAFs and EMSs. Used Garrett, LR turbos, and VRs too. Travis knows his stuff really well, he should, he has a Phd in Masters in Mechanical Engineering from M.I.T. plus years of hands on experience. If you need any extra help or adice please PM me, ok? But for the love of God, call Lindsey and have them help you with that exhaust. It is a great exhaust!

Old 12-22-2006 | 09:35 PM
Porschefile
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by RolexNJ
...Travis knows his stuff really well, he should, he has a Phd in Masters in Mechanical Engineering from M.I.T. plus years of hands on experience....
Lol! I must have completely forgot that decade! I wish! Maybe if M.I.T gave away degrees in coco puffs or something, then I might have a chance.
Old 12-22-2006 | 11:22 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Porschefile
Lol! I must have completely forgot that decade! I wish! Maybe if M.I.T gave away degrees in coco puffs or something, then I might have a chance.
You give some of the most educational and informative posts, and I appreciate that a lot. As for me, I am not a engineer or wrench, so God forbid I say something that is speculative, because I "may" misinform people on here. And that is the last thing I want to do Mr. Coco Puffs! So I appreciate all the hard core scientific data you post. Especially for people looking at turbos configs, to make big power, and those with 968Ts too!

Cheers T!

Quick Reply: Running Car with no exhaust???