Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

OT- Marco Andretti Tests In F1!

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2006 | 01:52 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Default OT- Marco Andretti Tests In F1!

This might be OT and old news to some who follow F1, but I thought I'd share it. Since the Andrettis main house (God knows how many they have), is located in PA which isn't far from me, I've seen Marco race thru the years as an aspiring go-kart racer. The kid was "very" fast back then too. Anyway with his name and natural talent, it would nice to see if he makes the jump to F1 someday. Here is the article. Let's get some more American blood in there, and really do something!

http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/formulaone/34358
Old 12-19-2006 | 02:33 PM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

I've been watching, what excited me more than his test was Bourdais smoking that pansy, cry baby, arrogant, over-rated Scott Speed in the STR.
Old 12-19-2006 | 02:50 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by MPD47
I've been watching, what excited me more than his test was Bourdais smoking that pansy, cry baby, arrogant, over-rated Scott Speed in the STR.
Yes, he's over-rated pal. His days in F1 won't last long. Watch

Old 12-19-2006 | 02:53 PM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

I'll put money on him being replaced by the '08 season.
Old 12-19-2006 | 02:55 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by MPD47
I'll put money on him being replaced by the '08 season.
--->
Old 12-19-2006 | 06:49 PM
UK952
Burning Brakes

Hope he does better than Michael
Old 12-19-2006 | 06:53 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by UK952
Hope he does better than Michael
Tell me about it mate. Michael didn't devote 100% to the effort. He tried to lives two seperate lives, going back and forth between Europe and the US. You can't do that in that sport, you know that.

Old 12-19-2006 | 06:56 PM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

Yeah, but we got to see nigell mansell during that time here in the states. He lived in bellair near where I grew up in c-water. His kids were on another private school's soccer team. We smoked them bad that day, but I got to say hi to him. Nobody else knew who he was (year after F1 championship)
Old 12-19-2006 | 07:00 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Gator_86_951
Yeah, but we got to see nigell mansell during that time here in the states. He lived in bellair near where I grew up in c-water. His kids were on another private school's soccer team. We smoked them bad that day, but I got to say hi to him. Nobody else knew who he was (year after F1 championship)
You know this as well as I do, Americans (the vast majority) don't know or care about F1. Statistically speaking, it is all about Nascar. It draws the biggest crowds, and has the most sponsors and dollars too.

Old 12-19-2006 | 07:10 PM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

Yeah, but he still looked weird with that huge *** mustache. I thought people would still be like WTF?

I stopped getting up early to watch the races about 2 years ago. My girlfriend at the time thought I was nuts. I should start doing that again. Good times.
Old 12-19-2006 | 07:13 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Gator_86_951
Yeah, but he still looked weird with that huge *** mustache. I thought people would still be like WTF?
Well I don't deny that. That thing was big and old school.

EDIT: From Wikipedia about Michael Andretti.

"He joined the McLaren Formula 1 team for 1993, alongside the great Ayrton Senna, but was not a success. A string of collisions meant that he only completed three laps in his first three races, and he never fully got up to speed in Formula 1 cars. He commuted to races and test sessions from the U.S., which many feel contributed to his downfall. His third place at Monza was perceived as too little, too late, and he mutually agreed to leave the team and the championship."
Old 12-20-2006 | 03:08 AM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

It would be a good thing to have more americans to F1. After Mario Andretti there haven't been too much success. Michael Andretti was quite bad and was replaced by a Finn, Mika Häkkinen. I have wondered why there havent been many americans when you have so huge amount of population. For next season there will be three Finns driving F1's and our population is only a little bit over 5 million.
What comes to Nascar, europeans are not interested of it at all, it's purely US stuff. Also races driven mainly on oval tracks are IMO not so interesting. The only US based motorsport which is also driven in Europe is dragracing, mainly in the Nordic countries, UK and Germany.
When we will see the first american driving WRC car?
Will Scott Speed drive F1 next season?
Old 12-20-2006 | 09:57 AM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Olli Snellman
It would be a good thing to have more americans to F1. After Mario Andretti there haven't been too much success. Michael Andretti was quite bad and was replaced by a Finn, Mika Häkkinen. I have wondered why there havent been many americans when you have so huge amount of population. For next season there will be three Finns driving F1's and our population is only a little bit over 5 million. What comes to Nascar, europeans are not interested of it at all, it's purely US stuff. Also races driven mainly on oval tracks are IMO not so interesting. The only US based motorsport which is also driven in Europe is dragracing, mainly in the Nordic countries, UK and Germany. When we will see the first american driving WRC car?
Will Scott Speed drive F1 next season?
Yes it would Olli. As I posted above, that was the short reasons/ why Michael didn't make it in F1. And as Americans, we were very, very excited to see him there, but he just didn't do it right. F1 isn't polular over here compared to the rest of the world. Americans love Nascar! It is the "American" way, and has been for years.

And when will you see an American in WRC? For the same reasons I mentioned, I don't see that happening for a long time. We have off-road racing here, but it's nothing of the global magnatude of WRC, nothing even close. It is shame, but, it is the way it is.

Scott Speed? Don't even get me going. For years, Americans have tried to get a ride in F1. It is only in recent years that programs, by such companies as "Red Bull", have been developed programs to try and help Americans eventually get to that level. While I can't blame Scott Speed 100%, the fact remains, he has been a dissapointment. I think there was to much hype over him, and he hasn't lived up to any expectation. I don't think you'll see him in 2008 too. Marco Andretti has tremendous potential to get a seat in F1. He the Andretti name, awesome natural talent, is only 19, and if he tests well with Honda; there could be a great chance he would get a real shot at F1 someday soon. I think the entire Andretti family, once he wins a championship or 2 over here, would love to see him go to F1. Anyway, that is just my two cents my friend. We shall see...

EDIT: Here is the history on --> Scott Speed

Last edited by RolexNJ; 12-20-2006 at 11:11 AM.
Old 12-21-2006 | 12:43 AM
A Pilot
Instructor

i loved scott's performance at the US Grand Prix this year.
Old 12-21-2006 | 12:46 AM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by A Pilot
i loved scott's performance at the US Grand Prix this year.
Yeah, he is Da Bomb!

Quick Reply: OT- Marco Andretti Tests In F1!