Anyone have a Tensioner Tool?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2006, 03:53 PM
ryanm6100
Pumice King
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Anyone have a Tensioner Tool?

So I am buying a 951 this weekend (will post pics/details ASAP)

It needs a new brake master cylinder, a Cam Housing Gasket replaced, and possibly and new Water Pump .

I'd like to tackle them myself, if at all possible. The master cylinder shouldn't be a big deal, but the gasket/water pump might get a little hairy..

I am buying the car in IL, and shipping to Arizona (Tempe/Scottsdale) in late December. I'm looking for some suggestions, as I don't have experience with Porsche's -

Should I do this myself?

Does anyone have that Belt Tensioner Tool (don't want to pay $600)

Anyone want to lend a hand? Beer is included!

Thanks!
Old 12-08-2006, 04:08 PM
jakery
resident n00b
Rennlist Member

hey ryan.

i just bought a 951 too, and i'm having it shipped from LA to boston. car is going to go into shock from the cold.
I believe that these cars are pretty simple, i've worked on many in the past including BMW's. Master cylinders are easy is there isn't ABS, but what do i know i havn't even driven my car yet.

-jake
Old 12-08-2006, 04:42 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Aside from the genuine 9201 tool, there is a 'aftermarket' option available that in my opinion is just as good and less than 1/3 the price.

http://www.arnnworx.com/
Old 12-08-2006, 05:19 PM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

+1 on the Arnnworx tools. I have the newest tensioning devices as well as the other specialty tools. Bruce is a pleasure to deal with, the tools are great and the price is right.

Congrats on your new car!
Old 12-08-2006, 06:11 PM
pk951
Burning Brakes

I don't know how handy you are at mechanics but you can do the twist method twist no more then 45-deg if you have done a belt on vw it's a bit less.
Old 12-08-2006, 06:12 PM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Shoot me a PM when you get the car. I have a 9201 (and every other 944 specific tool), if you can get it to my house i'll tension it for you. Can you throw in a stripper with the beer?
Old 12-08-2006, 07:16 PM
ryanm6100
Pumice King
Rennlist Member

I AM on a first name basis with a few ladies from PinkKitty..

So we might be able to work something out...

Thanks for all the helpful responses!
Old 12-08-2006, 07:23 PM
pk951
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ryanm6100
I AM on a first name basis with a few ladies from PinkKitty..

So we might be able to work something out...

Thanks for all the helpful responses!
He's a married guy, but it guess llife is too short .
Old 12-08-2006, 07:28 PM
Tms951
Pro

If you plan on working on your car it is worth it to buy all the speacialty tools now and having them for as long as you have the car. Then when you sell the car you can sell the tools with or post them here in the classifieds. Buying tools once is less than paying to have it done once. Just look around for the right ones.
Old 12-08-2006, 07:35 PM
ryanm6100
Pumice King
Rennlist Member

I do agree that I might want to buy some special tools, but $600 for that tensioner tool is a little outrageous..

I will look at some "aftermarket" or used versions of it, but I am worried about the calibration...

I will be doing all the work myself - It really doesn't need anything, I would just rather be able to stop (master cylinder), and protect against engine fires (oil leak onto exhaust headers), and during the PPI they said the water pump is "dripping". I assume this means it might not be critical, but I might as well do all the work at once.

Does anyone have any tips regarding these repairs?
Old 12-08-2006, 07:43 PM
ryanm6100
Pumice King
Rennlist Member

Just took a look at the arnnworx site -

I think I'm just going to buy everything they have - It's still going to be less than the original tensioner tool!
Old 12-08-2006, 08:56 PM
pk951
Burning Brakes

If you go with the cricket, it is not too accurate I would take Jeremy up on his offer of helping you he's been around these cars for a bit, been the list for a few years. Just my 2 cents
Old 12-08-2006, 09:18 PM
amschnellsten
Racer

twist check, twist check
Old 12-08-2006, 09:45 PM
ryanm6100
Pumice King
Rennlist Member

I think I will take up Jeremy's offer, but I could still use the other tools in the kit - and we could check the calibration against the two tensioners.
Old 12-09-2006, 10:55 AM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pk951
He's a married guy, but it guess llife is too short .
Shhhhh, don't let that out. There may be a hot and rich woman lurking the boards who has no taste, values, morals, and lacks self esteem who also has a fetish for bad facial hair that may be interested several minutes of unfulfilling sex.

If you're going to do the water pump, it's best to pick up the wrench, spanner, and flywheel lock. I did my first belt job without them about 7 years ago and it was a real bitch. If you're replacing the cam tower gasket you may want to pick up a 10mm cheese head socket (triple square) to change the seals on the front of the cam tower as well. Since you have the water pump off, I would spend the extra $50 and replace all of the front seals (cam tower front seal is included in these) at that point since it only adds another hour labor.

When you replace the water pump, change the thermostat out. It's a 3 minute job with the water pump out of the car and a two hour job with it installed (especially if the snap ring placement is wrong). It's also a good time to closely inspect all of your cooling hoses.

I advise against using the cricket. It'll work in a pinch but a few years ago during a belt tensioning day at my house I checked the accuracy of one against the 9201 on 4 cars and the readings were not consistent across all the cars with the cricket. The 9201, once you learn how to use it and it’s properly calibrated is dead nuts.

If you want to save yourself some cash on the tools and get some help with the pit falls, you're welcome to come and do the job at my place on a saturday. I'm in Peoria and I live in the pop-up trailer with the dubs on it.

Quick Reply: Anyone have a Tensioner Tool?