Anyone have a Tensioner Tool?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2006, 11:04 AM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by pk951
If you go with the cricket, it is not too accurate I would take Jeremy up on his offer of helping you he's been around these cars for a bit, been the list for a few years. Just my 2 cents
Just in case anyone hasn't visited the Arnnworx site in awhile, Bruce has a slick new tensioning tool that's a piece of cake to use. It uses a dial gauge and the price is definitely right. I don't even think he sells the Kricket anymore.

Good stuff!
Old 12-09-2006, 11:56 AM
ryanm6100
Pumice King
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Shhhhh, don't let that out. There may be a hot and rich woman lurking the boards who has no taste, values, morals, and lacks self esteem who also has a fetish for bad facial hair that may be interested several minutes of unfulfilling sex.
I can tell you have lived in Arizona for a while...

If you're going to do the water pump, it's best to pick up the wrench, spanner, and flywheel lock.
I think I will pick those up, just to have 'em around.

Since you have the water pump off, I would spend the extra $50 and replace all of the front seals (cam tower front seal is included in these) at that point since it only adds another hour labor.

When you replace the water pump, change the thermostat out. It's a 3 minute job with the water pump out of the car and a two hour job with it installed (especially if the snap ring placement is wrong). It's also a good time to closely inspect all of your cooling hoses.
Sounds reasonable.

I advise against using the cricket. It'll work in a pinch but a few years ago during a belt tensioning day at my house I checked the accuracy of one against the 9201 on 4 cars and the readings were not consistent across all the cars with the cricket. The 9201, once you learn how to use it and it’s properly calibrated is dead nuts.
Agreed. When I read more on the website, the seller sold the part, but didn't recommend it. Scary.

If you want to save yourself some cash on the tools and get some help with the pit falls, you're welcome to come and do the job at my place on a saturday.
I think I'll take you up on that offer. It'll be a nice little Saturday. I'll PM you when I get back into town, most likely just after the 1st of the year. Thanks!

I'm in Peoria and I live in the pop-up trailer with the dubs on it.
Old 12-09-2006, 01:53 PM
smac951
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm tossed about which tool to buy myself. I don't want the crickett but Arnworx has this tool set up that comes with everything needed to do the job. I will buy the 9201 if need be but just how critical is an exact measurement anyway. I heard the twist method works too, what really breaks belts anyway? Either the belt is old or worn out --right? Over tensioning will wear out tensioners, so too loose of a tension will wear the belt, but the twist method 45 degrees is okay? Anyway, anybody have this setup from Arnworx?

Last edited by smac951; 01-20-2008 at 10:17 PM.
Old 12-09-2006, 02:01 PM
ryanm6100
Pumice King
Rennlist Member

That's the kit I'm looking at for myself, for just over $100, you can't beat it.

..As long as the quality is there.
Old 12-09-2006, 03:19 PM
ryanm6100
Pumice King
Rennlist Member

Default What parts do I need?

When I replace the Cam gasket/water pump/master cylinder, what parts do I need?

Master Cylinder
Water Pump
WP Gasket
WP Adapter Kit
Timing Belt
Front Engine Reseal Kit
Cam Housing Gasket

Is there anything else I need, or should pick up "while I'm in there"???
Old 12-09-2006, 03:24 PM
smac951
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I recently did a search on this subject and found a lot of info. Call Paragon parts and tell them what you are doing, they will steer you in the right direction.
Old 12-09-2006, 06:50 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Has anyone tried there torque wrenches?? Are they any good?
Old 12-09-2006, 07:59 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

if the car is an 87+ and has the "auto-tensioner" it should get you closed. I know all i do on my (damn, I mean Jake's) car is set tension with the auto tensioner and its perfect. (varified with a genuine 9201 porsche tool)

Quick Reply: Anyone have a Tensioner Tool?