Oil Cooler Sizing

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2006, 07:59 PM
GeorgeNZ
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Cooler Sizing

I've got a KISS kit on my turboS and I would like to replace the factory cooler on my 968 race car with something with more capacity to lower the oil temp.

The motivation is a catastrophic #2 bearing failure in my 3rd race last weekend and want to give the replacement motor a fighting chance.

Oil pressure starts off at 4.8-5bar and drops about 1.5bar as the session progresses (MXL Datalogger) with Redline 15W50.
I'm going to baffle the sump and fit an oil temp cannel to the logger when the engine goes back in as well.

Any experience or recommendations on sizing would be much appreciated.
Old 12-08-2006, 11:15 AM
pk951
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My Swiss was running a 72 row mocal cooler not sure of the height maybe 10-inches average temps 205F when running on the track.

Here is there web site http://www.batinc.net/coolers.htm
Old 12-08-2006, 11:20 AM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GeorgeNZ
I've got a KISS kit on my turboS and I would like to replace the factory cooler on my 968 race car with something with more capacity to lower the oil temp. Any experience or recommendations on sizing would be much appreciated.
I too had the KISS unit on my 944T and saw a difference. But unfortunately I don't have any knowledge with 968s, I'm sorry. I hope that someone on the 944T board will chime in and be able to help you. Otherwise, why not try posting in the 968 section? Actually, contact a guy named "Konstantin". He has a 968 turbo, and knows a lot about those cars. He should be able to help you, so try him. Best wishes to you.

Old 12-08-2006, 12:13 PM
Bill N
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's a big pressure drop. I had a similar experience, and it was a cracked pickup tube. What oil temps are you running on the track?

Quick Reply: Oil Cooler Sizing