Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

B&B Cat-back

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 10:50 PM
Keithr726
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default B&B Cat-back

I've been thinking about a new exhaust and thought B&B was a bit on the high side price wise. Performance products is offering a 20% discount until december 5th. PERFECT opportunity for me to get a great new exhaust. Does anyone have a video or sound clip of their B&B cat-back that they wouldn't mind sharing? I want a nice sporty sound but nothing too ricey. My old NA had a aftermarket exhaust that was nice and loud but this 951 is just too damn quiet.
Old 11-29-2006, 11:21 PM
aeronautica86
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sorry, no sound clip here, but I have heard a few b&b exhausts on a few different cars (no 951s though) and was always pleased with the sound, my favorite probably being an lt1 corvette. that being said, I bought a magnaflow muffler and cat to be installed with 3" piping for my exhaust and also really like the sound of it on my 951; anyway, I think you would be happy with the b&b
Old 11-29-2006, 11:58 PM
Waterguy
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am very happy with the sound of my 2 1/2" B&B catback and Bursch test pipe. Nice mellow sound but quiet enough for long highway trips. Much quieter than the 3" exhausts I have heard on 951s around town.

Sorry, no sound clips, but some vieos with fairly crappy sound for comparison.

Stock '87 951: Terry Burnett Autocross

My '86 with 2.5" Bursch test pipe and B&B catback: Don B spins

Ian Manning's '89 with MAF, T04E and custom 3" exhaust: Videos:Ian M autocross

Too bad about the wind noise on the videos. Ian's car is quite loud; he thinks it is perfect. I would find it too much for touring, but nice for track and autocross. I find mine just right, some don't find it loud enough.

HTH!
Old 11-30-2006, 01:08 AM
Keithr726
Nordschleife Master

Thanks! Very nice. I'm looking at the 3" catback with 4.5" tip. I just need to build up the confidence to buy by the 5th. I was just a little afraid it would sound to ricey and I'd want to throw off a cliff.
Old 11-30-2006, 02:21 AM
Kyle Donley
Burning Brakes

I have a B&B catback on my 951, not sure what size the pipe is for sure. I also still have a cat, the sound is not very loud, can't say I've heard anyone with a stock exhaust. I've heard a stock exhaust with a gutted cat and mine is a little louder than that. I also have a friend with the 3" SFR from the downpipe back and his is quite a bit louder than mine. Not sure of any performance gain but it sure looks pretty.

Mine is different than the one pictured on the B&B website(http://www.bbexhaust.com/car/944/), it's all one piece and the tip does not have rolled edges on the end. I'll see if I have any good pics of it. I love mine and wouldn't trade it for most of the other exhausts I've seen or heard. I would like to get a testpipe and give it a little more growl though.
Attached Images   
Old 11-30-2006, 04:49 AM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Keithr726
... but this 951 is just too damn quiet.
Ha, it sounds like we're on the same page. Do you have an all-stock exhaust currently? I'd be interested in hearing whatever you do in person if you upgrade.
Old 11-30-2006, 07:08 AM
aeronautica86
Three Wheelin'

Kyle's post reminded me of one more thing I'll say about the b&b products, and that is that the fit and finish is beautiful. Great looking car Kyle!
Old 11-30-2006, 08:19 AM
Charlie944
Rennlist Member

My B&B looks just like Kyles but I have mine on my 944 NA with an adapter plate my friend made and it sounds grrreeat! I always get compliments and I love the way it sounds when echoing off cement buildings in a downtown environement or off guard walls on the highway. Definitely not ricey either! Deep growl at idel and up to 3k which turns to a symphonic howl in the upper rpm's.

I have a 3" exhaust with a Dynomax ultraflow with a 4" tip with no cat converter on my 944 Turbo and it is has more resonance and is louder but I actually like the frequency and harmonics of the B&B better.
Old 11-30-2006, 08:47 AM
robinsonracing
Racer

check out www.fabspeed.com
3" with 4 1/2 oval. I love the sound of mine but that is also with a cat by-pass so yours would be quieter. Well worth watching their video with sound and tennis ball test.
Brian
Old 11-30-2006, 06:32 PM
Musche
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the B&B cat back and test pipe that I bought at Hershey from CDOC. They were blowing them out at 50% off. It's a very well built system with polished stainless and a rolled edge tip. I don't have a sound clip but I can tell you it has a very tasteful sound at idle..deep with a nice rumble to it. Not as loud as others under full throttle but has a sound that you know it's aftermarket. I will tell you I had a bit of a problem getting the wastegate dump tube to slide into the test pipe. The fit was extremely tight and I had to take it to a muffler shop to have it expanded about a 32nd of an inch to get it to slide in easily. Other than that, I think you will like it.
Old 11-30-2006, 09:30 PM
Keithr726
Nordschleife Master

Bill- Yeah sure, I'm really considering this. I currently had all stock with exception of a cheap (it says made in USA) high flow cat.

robinsonracing- fabspeed is great but I think I like the price of the B&B better other wise Fabspeed would be my first choice.

Musche- I'm just looking at they're catback for now but I'd like to get a test pipe in the future after going for a ride in my friends newly acquired 951 last week. He has Dansk exhaust but I don't like it, with a test pipe and chips and dang does that thing pull better than mine.
Old 11-30-2006, 11:45 PM
Kyle Donley
Burning Brakes

Kyle's post reminded me of one more thing I'll say about the b&b products, and that is that the fit and finish is beautiful. Great looking car Kyle!
Thanks for the kind words, sometimes I still don't believe that it's mine.
Old 12-01-2006, 12:34 AM
hockeydude
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kyle Donley
Thanks for the kind words, sometimes I still don't believe that it's mine.
Heheh. I offered to take it off your hands for you...

LOL! I got my Borla installed and love it though Kyle.

Keith- I would definetly go with the B&B if it is within your price range. I have heard Kyle's setup and it sounds great, not ricey, or overly loud. Just Perfect!

~Nelson
Old 12-23-2006, 07:01 PM
Keithr726
Nordschleife Master

Well I got off my lazy *** today and put this thing on. It was a very easy install and it looks and sounds great! Not too loud and not too quiet, perfect for every other day use.

Fully polished SS B&B cat back with 4" tip and high flow cat.

First video is the stock set up with high flow cat while the second is high flw cat and B&B system.

B&B + testpipe = much louder

Last edited by Keithr726; 03-15-2007 at 08:58 PM.
Old 12-24-2006, 03:44 AM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Nice how about a drive by?

Quick Reply: B&B Cat-back