Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What is a 930?
Old 11-28-2006, 10:15 AM
Guns951
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by icon
it sounds more like an inferiority complex to me!
been driving porsches since i got my license and never heard of a 951 until rennlist.
do a search on pag or pcna's site for a 951. nada!
obviously people can call it what ever they want,
but that won't change the fact that except in some small groups the car is known as the 944 turbo.

I would never want to change that fact!

you just want to call it the 951 so you can look down your noses at the 944.

Incorrect. My first Pcar was a 944, I am very proud as it was my automotive education along with my e30 (1986 325). I look down on no one, the second day I owned my 944 I got stopped by a 996t owner in the parking lot of my gym and he asked me about it (it was very pristine) when I told him I just bought it he said, "welcome to the family."

you havent even gotten rennlist to recognize the designation on your sub-forum

Why do we need to? We're not snobby as you said before. I don't know anyone that owns a 20 year old car that pursits never embraced (and never will) that's snobby about their 944 turbo.
I love all Porsches and browse most the boards, I do see it as one big family.
Old 11-28-2006, 10:29 AM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

it sounds more like an inferiority complex to me! been driving porsches since i got my license and never heard of a 951 until rennlist. do a search on pag or pcna's site for a 951. nada! obviously people can call it what ever they want, but that won't change the fact that except in some small groups the car is known as the 944 turbo. you just want to call it the 951 so you can look down your noses at the 944. you havent even gotten rennlist to recognize the designation on your sub-forum
And good morning to you from the east coast. Wow, I never thought that this would still get twisted even more so. As I mentioned to your colleague, this thread was started by a fellow 951 owner who was sharing his wonderful experience, and wanted to expose someone new to our community too. Yet, your friend felt compelled to ignore that by having his own agenda, which is stated below.

This is what your friend said, "This is all very well and good, but why do so many people on this forum refer to the 944 Turbo as the 951? That's not exactly a number that everyone knows. It's clear that everyone knows terms like 911, or 930, or 944, or 928, but 951, or 986, or 987? Gees. Call it what it is." That to me isn't a "hello guys, I thought I'd pop in and say hello, or I never heard people refer it to a 951 why do you guys? Nothing of that nature. Instead, he approached our community and came across with a strong and dictating tone that was very authoritative. Can you deny that based upon his verbiage above? You can't for it is uncontestable, hence, this set the stage for other people who felt to enlighten him and got a tad bit defensive. I personally don't see how his posting added any value to the authors thread at all. And now yours too? Either he contacted you and told you to post some comments, or you happened to "wander" by our unrecognized forum and add more fuel and lash out? Interesting my friend, to say the least.

With that preface now said, let me share my thought on your posting above. First, the poster that you are referring to is named "Guns", and he doesn't have an inferiority complex. If you even bothered to read his signature, let alone his location, he is one of the bravest people in the US protecting our country. Go ahead, re-read where he is located, see it? He doesn't have a complex, he is pro USA and loves his 951 too. Second, I am glad that you do love Porsches, for that is one reason why we all joined Rennlist, for the love and passion of our cars, regardless of how each community decides to call themselves. That said, I need to remind you that we are on Rennlist, an Internet-based Porsche community. And in our tiny "951", most of us do refer to our cars as 951s. We are not in the real world here my friend, this is the Net. So you need to distinguish the difference. But more so, among 944 turbo owners, people on here and real life do refer to them as 951s. Now many people who don't own them still call them a 944 turbo, and that is fine, but your friend with that Napoleon demeanor, and now yourself, are going to tell us how to refer to our cars? I'm sorry my friend, but that doesn't fly with us. You are more than welcome to visit us here, chat with us, share stories or whatever, but don't be a dictator, let alone be condescending and tell us how to call our cars. Let alone, don't come on here attacking fellow Rennlisters. It is disrespectful to us, the author, and the community at large too. Also, we don't look down upon 944s my friend. There are actually many, many people on here that own a 944 and a 951. We even have 944 members who race 944 spec cars, and we love having those people on here too. So your statement is incorrect, unwarranted, and invalidated too.

I can't speak for the rest of the people on this thread, but for me, I have remained nice, friendly, and professional. But again, this thread got twisted (sorry Josh), due to the fact of your colleague and now you too. As such, it has gotten me now a bit defensive. I went and looked at your signature and profile, for I wanted to know more about your car and credentials. And guess what? I didn't see anything. That said, I have to "assume" that your name is Jeff and that the 911 (excuse me) Cup Car you are driving is yours? Since there is lack of info, again, I have to assume these things. So even though you came to our board, talked down to us, have attacked several people, no one "yet", has attacked you and your car? So far they haven't but they may and it is warranted, because people are in a defensive mode now. I personally love Cup Cars, as per my signature, and hope to have one some day. But I would never, ever approach that forum and tell people what to do, think, how to refer to "their" cars, let alone twist a thread for the sake of having my own agenda? Never. That to me is immature, uncalled for, and just plain rude.

But let me now enlighten you my friend. Although you have talked down to my friends and our cars, you may want to think twice about us just being a "944 turbo". Because your statement is undermining our cars and their potential. I hate to break the news to you, but their are some pretty fast 951s that are out there. And I'm talking about street ones, not even full blown race ones too. It is 2006, and their are many, many, after market products and services for our cars that make them just a tad bit faster than stock. As a matter of fact, for a 1/3 of the cost of your car, I personally know of several 951s that would smoke your car in every sense, and make your car look pathetic. Can you believe that just a "944 turbo" can do that? Is it possible that such an old car which is only 1 step above a 944 could do that to your car? Well, why don't you do a search on here and look at some of the power our cars are putting down. Based purely on a cost to benefit ratio, the 951 is one of the best Porsches to have today. And me, along with my fellow 951 owners, are proud of our cars and what we like to call them. So please don't come into our 951 community, yes we have a designation as you clearly didn't read, and talk down to us, attack us, and think that your car is far superior. And again, not contribute a single comment that adds "any" value to the author and his thread. Which is? The love and passion for his 951.

Have a nice day, and I hope this posting has clarified the facts, not fiction. But more so, has made you realize that it isn't polite to attack fellow Porsche owners. Well, that's all I have to say on this for now. I am sure others will post too.

P.S. By the way, I have a 951 myself. And I know it's only a "944 turbo", and that it's over 15 years old compared to your car too. But if you like, we can take our cars to the track and see how I do? You may blow the living day lights out of me, but hey, I can at least try and give you a good fight though, right?

Last edited by RolexNJ; 11-28-2006 at 11:35 AM.
Old 11-28-2006, 10:54 AM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by silverbullet
Today as I was getting stuff out of my truck at Home Depot in Waldorf, MD; I saw a perfect red car in the lot. The owner and his wife were just getting in when I approached the vehicle. So I introduced myself and he told me how he just bought it a year ago, from the original owner.

This car was easily the best looking 951 I have ever seen! It only had 30K miles and flawless paint, tan interior, everything. Not even a single chip! He said that he's planning on keeping the car 100% original, not even a chip! I can agree to that somewhat, but I think the Vitesse chip is a easily forgivable mod and well worth it. So he hadn't heard of Rennlist, or even Clark's Garage, and I gave him the info. Hopefully he'll check Rennlist out and see what owning a 951 is all about! If you make it on here, it was nice meeting you
Sounds like a beautiful car. It would be a shame for him join the RL and read anything past your initial post. It started off so nice and turned into major drama.
Old 11-28-2006, 11:56 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 233 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by RolexNJ
P.S. By the way, I have a 951 myself. And I know it's only a "944 turbo", and that it's over 15 years old compared to your car too. But if you like, we can take our cars to the track and see how I do? You may blow the living day lights out of me, but hey, I can at least try and give you a good fight though, right?

I personally always liked the 944 Turbo,--and it was always one of the best values in Porsches,--but your statement above adds another slant,--"...I know it's only a "944 turbo"...

What do you mean it's ONLY a 944 Turbo? They're one of the nicest looking and fastest Porsches still on the streets without breaking the bank. I would be proud to drive a 944 Turbo,--and would call it such. Unfortunately, as I started out saying, "951" is a rather obscure designation, mostly known by 944 Turbo owners. As one of the other Rennlist members observed to me, it's probably all coming down to ease of typing. I, too, would rather type '951' rather than '944 Turbo' to get my point across. As far as a 951 owner being patriotic I've spent my fair share of time in the "sand box" so let's not get into that. This is simply a Porsche forum. One last question,--if you were at a PCA event and someone came up to you and asked you what Porsche you drove,--would you say 951 or 944 Turbo (assuming PCA members would be more understanding of what a 951 is)?

I certainly apologise if my question came off as dictatorial,--I merely wanted to know why 951 was used, particuarly when you find "944 Turbo" and "944 Turbo S" as the Rennlist category subdivision. And I certainly don't encourage any street racing between the cars.
Old 11-28-2006, 11:58 AM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Edgy01: You didnt read correctly, that post wasn't directed at you per se. It was your friend. Period.

EDIT: Who said street racing? Not me, I said "track" - big difference.

Last edited by RolexNJ; 11-28-2006 at 12:14 PM.
Old 11-28-2006, 12:59 PM
PCinDC
Rennlist Lifetime Member
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Edgy01
So if I take a 931, and change the body a bit, it sort of becomes a 951?
Not wanting to stir up a fight here, as I think you are just trying to bust our *****, but if you know that a 924 Turbo's internal designation is 931, how can you in the same breath say no one knows the internal designation of the 944 turbo, a much more common car? Besides, I'm sure you are aware of the complete dissimilarity of the two powerplants/drivetrains.

And to the rude guy who made a comment about us looking down our noses at 944 drivers, you've got a lot to learn! 944 Turbo owners tend to not look down their noses at anyone (well, most of us), as we are all too used to being treated in that manner by gents like you! In fact, I own a 944 and a 951, and I certainly don't look down my nose at the 944 or anyone who owns one! The fact that you assume as much is indicative of your personal viewpoint on car ownership - thankfully, it is one most here do not share.

The bottom line here is that every part I've pulled off of my 944 Turbo that was made specifically for my 944 turbo has a part number beginning with 951. Kind of like how your crankcase part numbers begin with 996.

Old 11-28-2006, 01:05 PM
Guns951
Race Car

I hope that guy does find the 'list and sees this thread, at least he'll know we take pride in our cars the way Porsche meant for us to.
Old 11-28-2006, 01:18 PM
silverbullet
Pro

All I can say is WOW!!!

But mainly it's just a hell of a lot easier to type or say 951 than 944 Turbo.
Old 11-28-2006, 01:22 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

All I can say is WOW!!!

And it's your thread my friend, so whatever you like.

Old 11-28-2006, 01:34 PM
MichelleJD
Jane Bond 007
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

Exactly!
Old 11-28-2006, 01:39 PM
Sysgen
Drifting

Even Wikipedia recognises the 951 nomenclature,

In 1985 Porsche introduced the 944 Turbo, a higher-performance variant, known internally as the 951 (952 for right-hand drive models). This had a turbocharged and intercooled version of the standard car's engine that produced 220 bhp (164 kW) at 6000 rpm. The Turbo also featured several other revisions, such as improved aerodynamics, a strengthened gearbox, wider wheels, and uprated suspension. Major engine component revisions, more than thirty in all, were made to the 951 to compensate for increased internal loads and heat.

It's not a name that people on rennlist came up with.

Just my .02 cents.
Old 11-28-2006, 01:42 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Sysgen
Even Wikipedia recognises the 951 nomenclature,

In 1985 Porsche introduced the 944 Turbo, a higher-performance variant, known internally as the 951 (952 for right-hand drive models). This had a turbocharged and intercooled version of the standard car's engine that produced 220 bhp (164 kW) at 6000 rpm. The Turbo also featured several other revisions, such as improved aerodynamics, a strengthened gearbox, wider wheels, and uprated suspension. Major engine component revisions, more than thirty in all, were made to the 951 to compensate for increased internal loads and heat.

It's not a name that people on rennlist came up with.

Just my .02 cents.
Bravo Stephane, bravo my friend for doing the research!!

Old 11-28-2006, 02:19 PM
icon
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by guns951
I love all Porsches and browse most the boards, I do see it as one big family.
that's the spirit!
that rolex fellow is long winded isn't he?
Old 11-28-2006, 02:30 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

that rolex fellow is long winded isn't he?
If you have a beef with me, PM me, don't trash the thread and people on here like you already did. PM instead, period.

Quick Reply: Perfect red "944 Turbo" aka 951 sighting in Waldorf Maryland