Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Perfect red "944 Turbo" aka 951 sighting in Waldorf Maryland

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 07:33 PM
hockeydude
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no. i'm pretty sure that a 951 is watercooled...
Old 11-27-2006, 07:44 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Edgy01
So if I take a 931, and change the body a bit, it sort of becomes a 951?
Well, I am not sure why you decided to partake in this thread? The author, Josh, wanted to share his experience with someone who had a beautiful "951", and to expose him to Rennlist. I don't see the value in you twisting his thread, not mine, by questioning why we call our cars what we do? What is your motive, and how does this add to his posting, I'm lost. Please feel free to enlighten me and others. I sense, and could be wrong here, that you're offended that we call our cars 951s? If so, why bother posting here? Two, I'm not the Rennlist Police, but is it necessary to attack our verbiage? As far as I am concerned, you can call your car whatever your heart desires, but kindly refrain from twisting this thread and attacking our "951s". We love our cars, are proud to own them, and love calling them what we want.

So thanks for stopping by the 951 community too!

Last edited by RolexNJ; 11-27-2006 at 08:10 PM.
Old 11-27-2006, 07:52 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 233 Likes on 128 Posts

Not trying to divert the thread from a 944 Turbo sighting but we used to always call a 944 Turbo a 944 Turbo. I just wasn't used to someone calling them a 951. In fact, I've never even seen a 951 badge on a car. Perhaps it's the same as my present car,--marketing. (I don't think we'll ever see a "997" badge).

It's a very defensive crowd here! I wasn't even saying anything bad about them, and everyone's ready to tear my head off for asking a question. Aren't we all Porsche drivers?

P.S. For hockeydude,--a 931 is a 924 Turbo. They always came as watercooled, just like the 944 Turbos, aka 951.

Sorry to hijack the thread. Please return to regular programming.
Old 11-27-2006, 09:25 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I wasn't even saying anything bad about them, and everyone's ready to tear my head off for asking a question.
Gees. Call it what it is.

Sure sounded like your asking a question

The internet is hard to convoy intent, simply because people are used to face 2 face communication. SO unless people are very familiar with you, your words have to be taken very literally.

Rogue
Old 11-27-2006, 09:32 PM
Guns951
Race Car

Wow...I leave the room for 5 minutes....

We're proud of the 951's internal designation as it differentiates it from the regular 944. The reason so many people get bent out of shape about the subject is due to the fact that ungodly sums of money are dropped on 951 motors to make them out perform your car and others like it.

Now how would you feel if I told you that your 997 it was just a souped up 912? You probaby wouldn't like it very much. Also, it puts us in a different class, a smaller one if you will, that enables us to focus on the aspects that make our cars different than a regular 944.

Its a way of distinguishing one's self the same way a patron at a restaurant would order a 1997 Opus One Reserve instead of just asking for red wine. We have particular tastes, and that taste sir is boost!

We're a different breed, not better, no higher up on the food chain despite any styling difference, motor displacement or budget. And yes we're defensive, its what happens to those who become affectionate towards their mere automobile. Welcome to the 951 forum.
Old 11-27-2006, 11:04 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by guns951
We're proud of the 951's internal designation as it differentiates it from the regular 944. The reason so many people get bent out of shape about the subject is due to the fact that ungodly sums of money are dropped on 951 motors to make them out perform your car and others like it.

We're a different breed, not better, no higher up on the food chain despite any styling difference, motor displacement or budget. And yes we're defensive, its what happens to those who become affectionate towards their mere automobile. Welcome to the 951 forum.
I'll see you at the finish line Guns!!

Old 11-27-2006, 11:17 PM
Andial951
Legend Killer
Rennlist Member

Wow...I leave the room for 5 minutes....

Now how would you feel if I told you that your 997 it was just a souped up 912? You probaby wouldn't like it very much. Also, it puts us in a different class, a smaller one if you will, that enables us to focus on the aspects that make our cars different than a regular 944.

Its a way of distinguishing one's self the same way a patron at a restaurant would order a 1997 Opus One Reserve instead of just asking for red wine. We have particular tastes, and that taste sir is boost!

I say Guns races Edgy and ends this dispute..............
Old 11-27-2006, 11:56 PM
luckett
Three Wheelin'

So if I take a 931, and change the body a bit, it sort of becomes a 951?
Exactly, kind of like when you take a VW beetle and put a 997 body on it.

So what's a 931, a turbo 930?
Old 11-28-2006, 02:54 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chris luckett
Exactly, kind of like when you take a VW beetle and put a 997 body on it.

So what's a 931, a turbo 930?

Is this a rhetorical question? A 931 is a 924 Turbo.

The reason I asked in the first place was because back when the 944 Turbo first came out we always referred to them as a "944 Turbo." That's what is seen on the back of the car. The only time the internal numbers got thrown around was when you needed a number to differentiate one particular model from another. For example, when you say "911 Turbo" to someone it could mean anything from a 1978 930 or even a 997 Twin Turbo of today. Few people refer to a 924 Turbo as a 931, but that's what Zuffenhausen used for them, internally. Even today's "911" isn't referred to as a 997 by Porsche,--none of their marketing literature refers to a "997." It's always the "new 911." (Well, how many times can you call a 911 the "new 911?" They said that with the 964, the 993, then the 996, and again with the 997. In parts catalogs they refer to the 944 Turbo as a 944 Turbo,--not as a 951. The latest "911" is referred to as a 997 there. All just to make it a little easier to differentiate one car model from another. Frankly, I find it harder and harder to keep up with some model designations (factory) on rarer models. I sure don't know the number for the Carrrera GT or the Cayenne. The new Cayman S is known as a 987S but so is the Boxster S. Where does it all end!?

I just hate to be banned from the 944/944 Turbo pages as it's all very interesting stuff,--I thought I was just asking a simple question, but apparently nothing is simple ever!

I'm often visiting on the 911 forum and people have asked me why I post there. I post there because I drove several 911s from that era and since many of today's questions are maintenance related I try to pass on some tricks that we learned about those cars twenty years ago. I started on a 1 year old 914-4, so sometimes I toss i some tips from those days.

I think we should be able to pass through all the forums. They're all Porsches. There shouldn't be any defensiveness. We all share a common excitement about the unique engineering of Porsches,--or so I thought.
Old 11-28-2006, 03:29 AM
smac951
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Edgyo1,
I bet you wear one of those white collar baseball caps with your cute convertable.
Old 11-28-2006, 03:44 AM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, like I said earlier - it can be hard to understand your intentions unless they are made very clear. That is the bane of the internet.

But I don't think anyone said 'don't come here' as everyone on this forum shares similar interestest.

That being said, perhaps I mis-understood your initial post.

Rogue
Old 11-28-2006, 04:26 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by smac951
Edgyo1,
I bet you wear one of those white collar baseball caps with your cute convertable.

sorry--I don't wear hats.
Old 11-28-2006, 06:25 AM
icon
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

We're proud of the 951's internal designation as it differentiates it from the regular 944.
but what did porsche call it externally during the time in which it was sold?
you guys are changing the public name after the fact.

Now how would you feel if I told you that your 997 it was just a souped up 912? You probaby wouldn't like it very much.
that's the analogy you come up with?

Also, it puts us in a different class, a smaller one if you will, that enables us to focus on the aspects that make our cars different than a regular 944.
so you want snob appeal? buy a ferrari! the f40 has some boost!

it sounds more like an inferiority complex to me!
been driving porsches since i got my license and never heard of a 951 until rennlist.
do a search on pag or pcna's site for a 951. nada!
obviously people can call it what ever they want,
but that won't change the fact that except in some small groups the car is known as the 944 turbo.
you just want to call it the 951 so you can look down your noses at the 944.
you havent even gotten rennlist to recognize the designation on your sub-forum
Old 11-28-2006, 06:44 AM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by icon
obviously people can call it what ever they want,
but that won't change the fact that except in some small groups the car is known as the 944 turbo.
you just want to call it the 951 so you can look down your noses at the 944.
It's not our fault that people don't read the chassis designations and know what we're talking about.
Old 11-28-2006, 08:51 AM
SeaCay
Thefu
Rennlist Member

Received 658 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by icon

Ahem...

Rennlist Discussion Forums > 924/944/951/968 Model Specific Technical Forums

Look above and take it up with John D.

Quick Reply: Perfect red "944 Turbo" aka 951 sighting in Waldorf Maryland