Dyno tuning in Midwest

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2006, 10:12 AM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Dyno tuning in Midwest

Does anyone have any recommendations for a dyno tuner in the midwest? I've made some minor changes to my car and suspected that I was running a bit lean before these changes - the changes are (will be) Lindsey 3" exhaust, no cat, no muffler, Lindsey clubgate, SFR stage 2 headers and modified airbox assembly.

The car is a PCA race car so I can't raise boost, swap chips, etc...

There are a couple of dyno shops locally but they know nothing about tuning these cars...I'd like to take it to someone who can help me optimize A/F ratios and get the most out of my setup.

I'm willing to tow the car to anyone within a reasonable drive of Indianapolis (6-8 hours would be OK). I really want to work with someone who knows what they're doing with these cars.

Thanks,

Rick
Old 11-24-2006, 10:24 AM
hockeydude
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

there's a good place in Columbus (Ohio) that some of the local guys have gone to. They are really nice people and have dealt with numerous 951's, and can measure a/f. if you would like th contact info i can get it and then pm it to you.
Old 11-24-2006, 10:31 AM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Rick, I think a Wideband system the measure AFR will be very beneficial here.. It's a must for tuning, and will warn you on the track if things get out of hand.
If you are not allowed to modify the chips, is this for both DME and KLR? If that's the case the only option is to play with the AFM, not the best approach, but "might" get you there.. Another option, is to use the Fuel Quality Switch (FQS) on the DME to richen the mixture some.

I believe adding a 3bar Fuel Pressure Regulator is not legal...

If you did not have the race class rules to deal with you can do the followings:
- Retune DME chip (timing & fuel)
- Change injectors and/or Fuel pressure regulator
- Add a PiggyBack gives you control over fuel and timing..

However, without modifying the DME chip, and not being able to change fuel pressure regulator or injectors, you are stuck with the FQS and adjusting the AFM. To get a bit more fuel, in the old days, people used to pinch the stock fuel pressure regulator in order to increase the fuel pressure which raises fuel delivery.

All of the mods must be done by someone that is familiar with the process..
Old 11-24-2006, 11:39 AM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

Kansas City is within your 6-8 hour range, so I would mention Imagine Auto as an option. They have a 4 wheel Mustang Dyno and between Karl and Stephen, they can take care of you. They currently service a number of the local PCA club racers in KC and surrounding area, and are also a Rennlist sponsor. Call and talk to Stephen or Karl at 913-310-9927.

Disclosure: I have no finanicial interest in recommending them, but they are friends of mine, so take that for what its worth.

Regards,
Old 11-24-2006, 07:38 PM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Guys - thank you very much for the suggestions. I'll follow up on these recomendations.
Old 11-24-2006, 07:41 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

What class are you looking to run? the list was fine for stock class until you got to the headers...

Quick Reply: Dyno tuning in Midwest