Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Jack stand question.

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2006 | 12:07 AM
bigred1001
Pro

Default Jack stand question.

Through searching the boards, it seems people like using the square jack points in front of the rear wheels. My concern is that the jack stands are going to crush the new side skirts that I put on. The expensive side skirts.

Also, in the picture that shosw the recommended jack stand points, on the front frame rails, they are covered with plastic, correct? Won't the stands crack that plastic?

Patrick
Old 11-19-2006 | 12:21 AM
Zero10
Race Car

I have jack stands with flat tops, they sit on the plastic at the front just fine, and they haven't broken it yet.
As for the rear, I put my jack stands under the torsion bar assembly.
Old 11-19-2006 | 03:59 AM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

I use the round areas that are there for the stock spare tire jack, and have some stands with the Y shaped tops - no issues from this yet.
Old 11-19-2006 | 06:01 AM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

I use the round areas that are there for the stock spare tire jack, and have some stands with the Y shaped tops - no issues from this yet.
DO NOT USE THE ROUND ***** IN THE FENDER AREAS. THEY ARE NOT THERE FOR JACKING.
Read your owner's manual and you will see that you are supposed to jack using the mid-point beneath each door. (look for the diamond)
Old 11-19-2006 | 06:09 AM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Through searching the boards, it seems people like using the square jack points in front of the rear wheels. My concern is that the jack stands are going to crush the new side skirts that I put on. The expensive side skirts.

Also, in the picture that shosw the recommended jack stand points, on the front frame rails, they are covered with plastic, correct? Won't the stands crack that plastic?
You should have enough room on the frame rail to position a jack stand. Be careful on the passenger side, make sure to clear the brake or fuel lines.

You can also use jack stands on the crossmember, but place them carefully. Never place them on a suspension surface that moves relative to the chassis or on anything that cannot support the weight of the car. (such as the steering rack.. )

I recommend putting a 1'x1' sheet of plywood beneath each jackstand to help ensure stable footing.
Old 01-28-2007 | 05:34 PM
ittia
Burning Brakes

Just wondering what you all thought of this collapsible jack stand. Kind of like a tripod for a camera. Says it holds up to 2000 KG's (4400 Lbs) but the collapsible part has me with visions of collapsing when it shouldn't. Thoughts?

Edit for clarity of my thoughts: unlike a traditional jack stand these things have more points of failure.
Attached Images  
Old 01-28-2007 | 05:36 PM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rich Sandor
DO NOT USE THE ROUND ***** IN THE FENDER AREAS. THEY ARE NOT THERE FOR JACKING.
Read your owner's manual and you will see that you are supposed to jack using the mid-point beneath each door. (look for the diamond)
I cant get any jacks under my car in the center, so I have to use the one in the back.
Old 01-28-2007 | 05:49 PM
pozican
Racer

Originally Posted by Lorax
I cant get any jacks under my car in the center, so I have to use the one in the back.

x2 -- Even so, what if I want to put my ENTIRE car on jacks?

Doesn't seem like 2 jack stands would make me feel safe under the car.
Old 01-28-2007 | 05:49 PM
OriginalSterm
Race Car

Time for new jacks. I have the 2 ton aluminum Craftsman jack (x2 actually) and they are low profile. Also, Harbor Freight has a similar 2 ton jack that is also low profile if you want something cheaper. Worth the investment and safety of you and your car.
Old 01-28-2007 | 05:53 PM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

I have the craftsman 2 ton jack - it fits but barely, and it compresses the black trim and messes it up when I start to lift. I feel totallty safe using the other points just to get it up on the stands.
Old 01-28-2007 | 05:59 PM
ittia
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by pozican
x2 -- Even so, what if I want to put my ENTIRE car on jacks?

Doesn't seem like 2 jack stands would make me feel safe under the car.
How about 4 of them? I'm gonna go from the sides using the stock jack at the diamond point and then put the stands under. Hopefully!

Thoughts on my first question please!!!!!
Old 01-28-2007 | 06:04 PM
jugger911
Rennlist Member

The plastic on mine hasn't messed up yet. I use a jack stand and leave the jack (out of my way) to ensure my safety.
Old 01-28-2007 | 06:06 PM
2bridges
Drifting

"Just wondering what you all thought of this collapsible jack stand"

Yeah - not me, no way.
Collapsible is not a feature I want.
I would never use, and would not even feel comfortable giving them away. my 2
Old 01-28-2007 | 06:09 PM
ELLSSUU
Geaux Tigers!
Rennlist Member

I have the craftsman 2 ton jack - it fits but barely, and it compresses the black trim and messes it up when I start to lift. I feel totallty safe using the other points just to get it up on the stands.

Using the same jack-----Run car up on 4 2x6's to lift it up higher. Put Jack under car and jack up to about half an inch from touching the lift point. Pull it back b/t those black trim pieces and the jack point and jack it up until it touchs. Double check to make sure it's on the lift points and not interfering with trim/OEM sideskirts and jack it up.

I don't use jackstands under the whole car so your guess is as good as mine from there. Note: I've got 10000 lb. low profile Rhino ramps to run the car up on if getting under it. Made some 2x6's so that I can get it up the ramp withour scraping.
Old 01-28-2007 | 07:44 PM
Kyle Donley
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ELLSSUU
Run car up on 4 2x6's to lift it up higher.
I don't think I could clear one, let alone 4.

I have the harbor freight jack and I have no problem getting it under the car, you just have to push it in far enough that it doesn't lift up on the plastic skirts. I lift in the center on each side, jack stand that side and move to the other.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Jack stand question.