Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Track prep in progress

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2006, 06:00 AM
OZ951
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Track prep in progress

I decided I'd make my 951 a track only car now so I got started on the weight loss program. I didnt bother taking any pics until today after I got her primed. Its nice to have the car at this stage now as getting the dynamat out was a pain in addition to the usual hassle of cleaning up the interior. I've being weighing everything on an accurate digital scale since I started. Its pretty amazing where some of the weight is. Just a tad under 500lbs of gear has come out of the car (stuff thats not going back in) and I started at 3000lbs with cage and fire system so I'm looking forwards to the next track day (where I will probably spend most of my time in the dirt while I get used to the new power to weight ratio and new suspension
Old 11-18-2006, 06:49 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Sweet! What cage will you get? A custom one?
Old 11-18-2006, 07:15 AM
Guns951
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks great i'm jealous! That's one heck of a diet!
Old 11-18-2006, 08:42 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts

Hey Wayne are you going to put the current engine, mechanicals etc back in or are you also starting from scratch there? If so what are you up to and are they on your site? What's the new suspension?

Patrick
Old 11-18-2006, 04:33 PM
OZ951
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Hey Wayne are you going to put the current engine, mechanicals etc back in or are you also starting from scratch there? If so what are you up to and are they on your site? What's the new suspension?

Patrick
The same motor is going back in, what has changed in the engine bay is that I have eliminated unnecessary accessories like AC and electrics and simplified the cooling system plumbing. Since I am running the Waste Spark Haltech now I decided that I would relocate the electronics and the Accusump to the heater location and that tidies up the engine bay. I have purchased a Odyssey drycell battery as well and that is being relocated to the passenger area floor along with the fire bottle for weight distribution and C of G purposes. There wont be a passenger seat. Anyone want a spare EVO 2 ?

The new suspension is a Leda single adjustable setup. I haven't ordered springs yet, I might get those manufactured here in Adelaide. The T bars will be coming out. The rest of the suspension is ok with Weltmeister & M030 sways, camber plates and Elephant racing monoballs ( I figured I should use them since they used my car in their advertisement) I haven't got their polybronze rear bushings but that's tempting since I'll be pulling the tbars out anyway.

I'm pinching the 17x9" rears from my 'old' set of street wheels to put up front with 255 Victoracers. I figure some extra stopping power is going to be nice with the car going faster thanks to the weight loss.

The autopower roll cage is going back in, I have to admit to not being entirely happy with that budget option. Whilst the cage is not bad, its not as extensive or stiff as a weld in.

So that's about it, lighter, lower, stiffer, simpler and a bit more rubber. There will be other work in the future of course (Diff / Control arms / composites eventually).
Old 11-18-2006, 04:39 PM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow, that really looks great! Keep posting pics as you go along...please!
Old 11-18-2006, 04:58 PM
sharky47
Set to Full-Auto
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 67 Posts

Holy **** - your alive!!!!!

I am currently doing the exact same job on my NA track car, just bought a heat gun to finish scraping all of the sound deadening/glue out of there.
Old 11-18-2006, 05:35 PM
OZ951
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by sharky47
Holy **** - your alive!!!!!

I am currently doing the exact same job on my NA track car, just bought a heat gun to finish scraping all of the sound deadening/glue out of there.
Hey Sharky, yeah I am still around, in fact I was over in San Diego 2 weeks ago but didn't get time to head to Texas, as much as I would have liked too. (July 07 maybe).

I ended up with a heat gun as well but it was more to soften the bitumen from the dynamat. It once looked like this.....
Old 11-19-2006, 06:55 PM
hally
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

500lbs, wow, looking good oz.
Old 11-20-2006, 09:03 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts

Yes I second Hally, 500lbs is amazing!!! It's going to be like adding at least another 100 hp I would guess? It should stop on a dime too!!I would suggest doing both the PolyBronzes and new A-arms. Not a bad idea to do new hubs too for the sort of loading you're going to be getting.
I might be interested in that Evo2 as well. I need to take out my stock passenger seat. Is it on your site?
Old 11-20-2006, 09:08 PM
whakiewes
Pro

What was the reasoning for the extensive dynomat'ing?

Wes
Old 11-20-2006, 09:33 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Less weight to load though.

I was able to get down to 2300lbs and change, I still have more mods to do. But I did things like odyssy battery, welded aluminum Bumper supports to delete shocks. 12lb Sparcos, etc. etc. I'm sure you will be down close to that. Oh yeah, I cut out about 10lbs of wiring harness I didn't need! tons of things like that. Car does run very fast now comparibly. Low 12 sec 1/4. (270@wheel) I still have tons of suspension stuff to buy / work to do.

I am also wondering about how much better the stock brakes will work since there is so much less weight. Less heat. Also wondering if the control arms will be able to handle the stress better. I really have no choice but to find out. It won't be until they either break or the end of next year before I get the arms and upgrade the suspension.

How awesome is it that all these 951's are becoming race cars. Looks like some sort of revival. I love it, because the performance capabilities will truly command respect to any car out there. I know I plan on passing most out there!

I look forward to follow ups on this one. Good job!
Old 11-20-2006, 09:51 PM
Guns951
Race Car

I'm going to be doing my part in the GAR Cannonball These cars are a force to be reckoned with.
Old 11-21-2006, 07:32 AM
OZ951
Three Wheelin'

I got a second coat of paint on the car tonight, I'm surprised how solid the colour is after just 2 coats.

The dynamat stems from the early days of the car and the 'car audio phase'. However it wasnt long after that that I got into tracking the car and ditched the stereo to save weight.

To get the weight down I took a leaf from Russ's book (I think it was Russ or maybe Alan Coleman) where he removed all the stock wiring. I have also cut away the guts of the doors so there is no glass either and no stock dash.

Hally - Yeah I can barely wait to get her back to Mallala with so much less weight. It really is going to be a case of re-learning the car all over. Its going to take a while to retune the suspension too I imagine. All in all its going to be very interesting.

Guns - Yes its nice to see 951's alive and well. The annual classic Adelaide Rally was held here this past weekend and it was neat to see several 951's in race livery driving on the public roads. It was a special treat because there just arent that many of them in Oz.
Old 11-21-2006, 07:57 AM
JET951
Drifting

Received 83 Likes on 48 Posts

wow, i wish i could do that with my car. it makes me want to buy a cheap one and get to work with it. i love how clean the inside looks

Quick Reply: Track prep in progress