Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Loose Cold side turbo?????

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2006 | 09:25 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Default Loose Cold side turbo?????

SHOULD THE FRONT SIDE/COLD SIDE OF MY TURBO BE LOOSE?????

I am thinking NOT. But before I blast the company that sold me this turbo (as a replacement for their ruebuilt turbo that blew to ****)

Anyone???

As I was checking the turbo to IC hose, I tugged and noticed the turbo was moving back and forth on the front/clode side.

Fixable??

If so, is this a turbo I should keep???
Old 11-01-2006 | 09:29 PM
Mike Murcia
Three Wheelin'

A lot of builders will ship turbos with loose cold sides so they can be clocked correctly during installation. No big deal. Just tighen it up or you won't have much boost.
Old 11-01-2006 | 09:32 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

OK, but this has been installed for over a year now.

Also, is there a way to get at the bolts to tighten without having to pull the turbo???
Old 11-01-2006 | 09:35 PM
Mike Murcia
Three Wheelin'

Tightening the bolts should be doable, but if it has been run like that, the compressor fins may have hit the compressor housing, depending on how loose the housing is. I'd pull it for inspection.
Old 11-01-2006 | 09:36 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

You should be able to tighten some/most with the intake off and the turbo in place, if my mental snapshot is accurate.
Old 11-01-2006 | 09:40 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

OK, not so bad, but not what I call a quality turbo.

I have never heard anyone else post this issue on here....????
Old 11-01-2006 | 09:42 PM
Mike Murcia
Three Wheelin'

The boost should build sooner when you tighten those bolts!
Old 11-01-2006 | 09:44 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Well, I just developed a boost leak and was checking things and did not see any leaks after pressurising and started to check the turbo to IC hose and noticed the cold side was slightly loose.

I make about 8-10psi but will NOT touch boost unitl I get this tightened up.

Would this have been a sudden come loose thing or slowly over time?? I am thinking slowly since spool up and max boost all seems the same.
Old 11-02-2006 | 01:26 AM
AL951
Racer

Todd dont worry man, most turbo builders will ship there turbos with the housing(s) loose for clocking the to each set up. Most people dont post about this because most of the time is pertty obvious or and the biulder tells you it is loose. ether way that is not samething to complain about in my opinion.

Regards,
AL
Old 11-02-2006 | 09:15 AM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

OK, so that explains why I have never seen this problem posted before.

Still not sure how it was secure when installed and just now looks like one bolt has come out a year later.

I can see it, just can't get at it. Hopefully can be done with only pulling the intake and not pulling the turbo itself.
Old 11-02-2006 | 11:49 AM
Tms951
Pro

This has nothing to do with the quality of the turbo. It is all because of the poor installation of the turbo. When the turbo was installed and indexed it was not tightened down enough. If you want to b!tch some one out it should be the person who put it in the car.
Old 11-02-2006 | 11:54 AM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tms951
This has nothing to do with the quality of the turbo. It is all because of the poor installation of the turbo. When the turbo was installed and indexed it was not tightened down enough. If you want to b!tch some one out it should be the person who put it in the car.
I can give you the shop name and phone number and I am sure they can, if they had the inclination, to post about thier Porsche experience and knowledge that would embarrass any tuner or shop that sells turbos for our cars.

Also, you can call Alex Job (Alex Job racing???) and he has their phone number also as he was the owner's partner in racing 911 and 951 and has them do some work on his track cars.

The place I got this replacement turbo from tried to say the same about the rebuilt turbo they sent me that fried in about 1 week since the "rebuild" of the turbo was not done properly.
Old 11-02-2006 | 12:14 PM
AL951
Racer

The installer should have tighnen the housiBut like i said before it is nothing to complain about. Maybe it was a honest mistake. Belive it or not even race shop make mistake. Thing it that it looks like nothing bad happen and that is what matters.

Regards,
AL
Old 11-02-2006 | 12:25 PM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Check your IC tubes for pieces of housing material and inspect the compressor wheel for "blade tip curl", that will tell you if the blades came in contact with the housing.
Old 11-02-2006 | 12:25 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AL951
The installer should have tighnen the housiBut like i said before it is nothing to complain about. Maybe it was a honest mistake. Belive it or not even race shop make mistake. Thing it that it looks like nothing bad happen and that is what matters.

Regards,
AL

Yes, you are 100% correct.

TMS951: Didn't mean to lash out to you I just kept being told with the rebuilt turbo and then this one it has to be the instalation and the shop I go to are top of the line, Porsche only shop/race shop.

But that doesn't mean small mistakes can escape anyone.

I would have suspected though if it was not installed/indexed properly by them, this would have come up a long time ago and not a year or more down the road from instalation.

Quick Reply: Loose Cold side turbo?????