Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turbo-and-turbo-s-forum-72/)
-   -   Interest in a “plug and play” EGT probe kit? (https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turbo-and-turbo-s-forum/308623-interest-in-a-iplug-and-playn-egt-probe-kit.html)

Laust Pedersen 10-31-2006 02:28 AM

Interest in a “plug and play” EGT probe kit?

Those who have read the “EGT probe NON weld?” thread may have noticed that I helped Rick (RK951) with a custom installation of an EGT probe in the cross-over pipe as a substitute for the test tube.

After a number of trial and errors it actually came out well and we assume that it may have general interest for those who want to monitor their EGT, but don’t want to go through the hassle of welding/installing a bung in their header.

So therefore I would like to hear who would be interested in a “plug and play” EGT probe kit, consisting of a custom EGT probe with appropriate cable length, custom ferrule, custom stainless nut, installation instruction and a few minor items such as spade connectors and cable ties. All for $98 + S&H (which may be about $8 domestically and twice that internationally).

Rick posted some pictures here .

The probe is based on a K-type thermocouple, which is compatible with 99% of the EGT gauges on the market. As most other probes it has closed tip (more rugged).

Based on my very short test drive the response is quite similar to my probe(s) mounted near the cylinder head ports, except during warm-up and under idle on a cool day, where it as expected is a little cooler.

The installation is fully reversible, meaning that the test tube can be installed again if you for some reason want to return to stock configuration.

Again, please let me know here if you are interested and I will start making some kits. :)

Early list of interested Rennlisters:
Ross255 (1)
Turbo Fanatic (2)

Laust

TRP951 10-31-2006 02:51 AM

How accurate is this compared to the ones in your headers? Do you have any datalogs?

Trucho-951 10-31-2006 03:15 AM

I'm interested.

marcoturbo 10-31-2006 07:40 AM

I'm also interested.

tconn 10-31-2006 08:05 AM

I'm interested. But would like to see how accurate it is compared to one mounted in the header.

Keith E. 10-31-2006 10:03 AM

I'm in.

Duke 10-31-2006 10:22 AM

The only thing up for debate is if the ring type spanner was the best tool of choice for installation ;)

eclou 10-31-2006 10:48 AM

I'm in

SamGrant951 10-31-2006 10:51 AM

Interested. edit: I'll take one. :cheers:

Frank@Work 10-31-2006 11:21 AM

If it can be hooked up to a Zeitronix I am interested!

Buckaroo Banzi 10-31-2006 11:41 AM

Sign me up...

Add me to the list...

-BB

35thSLP 10-31-2006 11:48 AM

I'm interested as well.

Laust Pedersen 10-31-2006 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by TRP951
How accurate is this compared to the ones in your headers? Do you have any datalogs?

It measures the gas temperature where it is located as accurately as any EGT probe. Maybe the question is if the temperatures measured are identical to a (top of the) header location. Bases on my observations after one test drive (comparing Rick’s and my cars) they are very similar once the engine is hot and with adequate exhaust flow (slightly lower temperatures at idle).
I don’t have and will probably not in a foreseeable future get any logged data, but maybe in a week or two I’ll move one of my 4 probes down to the X-over location and will let you all know in more detail how they compare.

Btw, as with most instruments installed to monitor a parameter on a well-functioning engine you first get a sense of how the parameter behaves under different conditions, after that it becomes much easier to detect any creeping or abrupt abnormality.

Originally Posted by Duke
The only thing up for debate is if the ring type spanner was the best tool of choice for installation.

I just did that to show that it was possible to thread a closed wrench onto the nut … and remove it again BEFORE the wire has been routed, otherwise just leave it there for next removal :evilgrin: . An open wrench works too.

Originally Posted by SamGrant951
Interested - (will it work with the Zeitronix?)

If the Zeitronix has an EGT input then it will work, but I will look into the details a little further.

Laust

PCinDC 10-31-2006 02:49 PM

The Zeitronix uses a K type thermocouple so I think you guys are fine using this with the ZT2.

Jeremy Himsel 10-31-2006 03:32 PM

I'll take one as well.