Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive
View Poll Results: Have you used Seafoam and did it work?
Yes I've used it. Worked great. Would do it again.
37.50%
Yes I've used it. Never again. Created more problems than it solved.
8.33%
Never used it and would not recommend it.
10.42%
Haven't yet but may in the future.
43.75%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

The Seafoam Poll

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 01:35 PM
SD Porsche Fan
Cast Iron Man
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The Seafoam Poll

Thinking of using one of the vac lines (probably from the diverter valve) to suck up about half a can of Seafoam to let it disolve any carbon deposits. I'll probably put the other half can in the crank case just before changing the oil and filter. Who here has used it and what was your experience.
Old 10-23-2006, 02:22 PM
Zero10
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I removed the idle adjustment screw and used the cone fitting and clear vinyl hose that came with my vacuum pump to introduce the stuff into my intake. This way it will feed all 4 cylinders for certain. The vacuum line from the diverter valve will only feed #3 and #4.

I am very leery of putting anything like this in the crankcase. Seafoam is a very powerful solvent, but it probably is also badly lacking in its lubricating abilities. If you do this, do not run it above idle or drive it.

I ran the whole can through my intake. I let it suction half the can at a relatively high rate (maybe 30-45 seconds to suck it in) then shut the car down for 5-10 minutes and fired it back up. It left an AMAZING smoke screen as it ran, and it was very difficult to start.
After the smoke stopped I went for a drive and the smoke started to pour out again. It took better than 10 minutes of driving to clear out all of the smoke. Then I took it home and fed it the other half of the can and repeated the process. Both times I got unbelievable amounts of smoke, and the car ran much better afterwards.
Old 10-23-2006, 03:04 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Used it on two non Porsches. All ive gotta say is its probably a good idea not to do it in your own driveway/neighborhood because it WILL smoke the hell out of the place and the smoke isnt pleasant smelling. Did it in a buddies driveway and mine and both times the smoke rivalled that of a big house fire. Totally smoked out his entire Cul De Sac
Old 10-23-2006, 03:13 PM
skene
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used it and two days later I needed a new clutch! Well, in all honesty my clutch fork broke and I'm 99% sure it was unrelated as there were 220k on the fork.

I got a decent amount of smoke out the back, but not the huge plumes like other people have said. I also put it through the idle screw. The car revs a little smoother but my idle is a little goofy now. I think that's mostly from not adjusting the screw correctly after and having random shorts in my injector wires. Overall I don't think it really did much either way....unless it broke my clutch.
Old 10-23-2006, 03:17 PM
f1rocks
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by skene
I used it and two days later I needed a new clutch! Well, in all honesty my clutch fork broke and I'm 99% sure it was unrelated as there were 220k on the fork.

I got a decent amount of smoke out the back, but not the huge plumes like other people have said. I also put it through the idle screw. The car revs a little smoother but my idle is a little goofy now. I think that's mostly from not adjusting the screw correctly after and having random shorts in my injector wires. Overall I don't think it really did much either way....unless it broke my clutch.

Don't have an opinion one way or the other on the Seafoam but that is a funny post.
Old 10-23-2006, 04:55 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

If you pull the idle screw and let it in through there, will the car even hold idle????
Old 10-23-2006, 04:58 PM
Brantley
Addict
Rennlist Member

I am no expert, and not sure if it is related, but before using Seafoam, I barely failed CA smog. After using it, and changing the exhaust on the car, I am no where near passing. I even installed a new catalytic converter and still I failed... bad... My HC is in gross polluter territory... and I did nothing else to the car!

It could just be coincidence, I don't know...
Old 10-23-2006, 05:02 PM
Brantley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by toddk911
If you pull the idle screw and let it in through there, will the car even hold idle????
I added it to the idle screw and stalled my car out. It all depends on how much you pour in there and at what rate it is poured in.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 10-23-2006, 11:18 PM
SD Porsche Fan
Cast Iron Man
Rennlist Member

Pretty close call for those who felt their car improved and those who had more trouble after. I haven't heard anything that would be a deal breaker yet. Dosen't sound like anyone blew up their motor anyway.
Old 10-23-2006, 11:37 PM
SeaCay
Thefu
Rennlist Member

Received 658 Likes on 330 Posts

Used it on my DD (Exploder). Didn't fog the neighborhood, and no real notable difference in mileage, performance (ahem), etc.
Old 10-24-2006, 12:11 AM
chrly924s
Three Wheelin'

Used it on my Cherokee 1st. Lots of smoke, but it runs better. Used it on my 951, can't tell any difference, but the tops of the pistons and the intake valves are very clean now.
Old 10-24-2006, 12:46 AM
CO951
Burning Brakes

I tried it. It blew a lot of smoke, but I didn't really notice a differance.
Old 10-24-2006, 12:59 AM
czar
Instructor

A certified Bentley mechanic recommended it to me a few weeks ago. I'm leary about putting crap like that in my car, but he showed me how to put it in through the brake booster line. I waited a week, and then did it. I put about 1/3 through the booster line and the rest in the fuel tank. I didn't get a lot of black smoke like everyone else, but maybe I needed to use more through the booster line. It did smoke a little, which helped me find an exhaust leak. Overall, I'm glad I did it because the idle smoothed out (was erratic b/w 1000-1300 and now it sits at 1000), and it feels more responsive when I hit the throttle. I dunno, it could be all in my immagination, but I think it did good and I plan on dumpring another can in before good 'ol jack frost heads our way. This time 1/2 in the booster, 1/2 in the crank case.
Old 10-24-2006, 02:50 AM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What is this stuff supposed to do? Clear out all the carbon desposits?

The only thing I know about products like these is that my neighbor used some of that ___(clr?) piston restorer stuff that is supposed to fix bad compression and it ended up blowing his head gasket.
Old 10-24-2006, 05:33 AM
Zero10
Race Car

The brake booster line is pretty big to feed it in through, plus it only feeds 2 cylinders.

Quick Reply: The Seafoam Poll