Am I ready for a timing belt?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2006 | 12:26 PM
Lanny Curlett
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Am I ready for a timing belt?

Hi,

I bought my 88 "Euro" Turbo "S" in late September. I bought it right and when I flew out to pick up the car the P/O had warned me it was not getting any boost. I changed the cycling valve, all the vacuum lines, wastegate, BOV and then discovered a bolt from the stock airbox jammed in the turbo impeller which had reduced the blades to nubs. I changed the turbo and hooked up an EBC. I kept cranking the EBC up but couldn't get beyond stock boost. Then I discoverred another vacuum leak, repaired it and went for a test cruise. At 29 PSI the head gasket let go (I'm thinking maybe I should have reset the boost controller down. ) Anyway, I had an engine from my wrecked 88 (see my other posts for the ugly details ) so I swapped engines and it's all together and runs great! Three questions for the "Gurus of Rennlist": Having described the work above to you do you thinlk I have the mechanical skillsest to do timing belts? Also, I will buy the Porsche timing belt tensioning tool if I have to but is there a decent and reliable aftermarket tool to use? Has anyone used the Blaszak (sp?) tool? BTW, every problem I have run into with these cars has been solved by reading previous posts from Rennlisters or following provided links. Truly a great community!

TIA,

Lanny
Old 10-22-2006 | 12:55 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 287 Posts

Lanny, if you change turbos, wastegates, whole engines, etc., you should be able to put a belt on.

I bought the 9201 for peace of mind -- never had any problems (knock on wood). There are long endless debates about other accuracy of tools like the Krikit available at Napa. The only tool I know of specifically designed for the 944 -- and with the apparent precision of the 9201 -- is the arnnworx tool. See link below.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ght=bruce+arnn
Old 10-22-2006 | 02:27 PM
Lanny Curlett
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
Lanny, if you change turbos, wastegates, whole engines, etc., you should be able to put a belt on.

I bought the 9201 for peace of mind -- never had any problems (knock on wood). There are long endless debates about other accuracy of tools like the Krikit available at Napa. The only tool I know of specifically designed for the 944 -- and with the apparent precision of the 9201 -- is the arnnworx tool. See link below.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ght=bruce+arnn
Thanks, Tom. Timing belts on these cars are somewhere between voodoo and the black arts, to me. I have been thinking I can probably do them and with two running 944's and one spare engine I'm thinking the tools and skillset would be good things for me. I'm hoping to freshen
Old 10-22-2006 | 02:30 PM
Lanny Curlett
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Lanny Curlett
Thanks, Tom. Timing belts on these cars are somewhere between voodoo and the black arts, to me. I have been thinking I can probably do them and with two running 944's and one spare engine I'm thinking the tools and skillset would be good things for me. I'm hoping to freshen
the "out" engine (new LR head, intake, rings bearings, seals, rollers, belts etc) and keep it for a spare. I also figured on practicing T belts etc on it as I would have the luxury of access with the engine on a stand.
Old 10-22-2006 | 02:35 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Once you do the belts, you realize that it isn't all that bad. Follow clarks garage and you will be ok.
Old 10-22-2006 | 03:23 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by Lanny Curlett
the "out" engine (new LR head, intake, rings bearings, seals, rollers, belts etc) and keep it for a spare. I also figured on practicing T belts etc on it as I would have the luxury of access with the engine on a stand.
Especially if the motor is out of the car -- great chance to see everything and practice up -- go for it!

I'd guess the black magic mystique came from the combination of the interference engine design and a $500 tensioner with reference-less readings (must be black magic if the tension can't be measured on any known scale...). Haynes don't help either by saying the car has to be towed to the dealer to have the belts tensioned! (I always found it funny that Haynes seems to think tranny rebuilding is a home-machanic activity, whereas installing a belt needs to be done at the dealer...)

Quick Reply: Am I ready for a timing belt?