Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Help removing brake piston dust seals???

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2006 | 08:32 PM
DAR951
Pro

Default Help removing brake piston dust seals???

The dust seals on my rear caliper pistons are pretty much gone, and while I don't plan to replace them as part of the caliper re-build I'm in the middle of (it's a race car), I do want to remove the remains. The seals themselves come out just fine, but I'm not having much luck with what's left of the dust seal (standard seal-puller won't fit inside the caliper)...

Anybody with tricks/ideas for tools that won't threaten/damage the bore???
Old 10-02-2006 | 08:47 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

I used a flat tip screw driver (a large one) and pryed them out. Are you refering to the metal ring of the scraper ring seal?
Old 10-02-2006 | 08:55 PM
DAR951
Pro

Originally Posted by Techno Duck
Are you refering to the metal ring of the scraper ring seal?
Yup.

The screwdriver was something I was hoping to avoid, but looks like it may be the only choice.
Old 10-02-2006 | 09:57 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

I tried to find some other things to get them out, but they are in there pretty good. A flat tip screw driver worked for me in the end. What i ended up doing was sticking the screw driver inbetween the exposed lip, and with a rag as protection twisted the screwdriver to pop the ring out. Becareful doing it this way...the rings will pop right out but you can very easily nick the surface if your not careful. However i did knick the surface twice, but i dont think it would cause any leaks...brake system pressurized without problems and no leaks at all.

You may want to wait for other suggestions.

Quick Reply: Help removing brake piston dust seals???