Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Post Zeitronix Observation and question (A/F)

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2006, 09:03 PM
chapstic951
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Post Zeitronix Observation and question (A/F)

After doing some slight mods (see my signature) I had the feeling I was running a bit lean...and I was. I have since installed a WB02 and a AFPR with my Zeitronix system. Here is what I have noticed.

1. I have turned the fuel pressure to about 54-psi. Does this seem high? Per the read out, I am running between 11.10 and 12.60 @ WOT. There abouts.

2. When I completely let off the throttle, the A/F reading spikes to full lean 21.00. Normal?

3. At WOT, I noticed some smoke coming out of the exhaust. After I stopped, I went to see what was going on in the back and I noticed a spray of soot on my garage floor and driveway. It did not smell like burnt oil and it was completely dry, not moist at all.

Man, the Zeitronx tool is neat but is opening a whole box of new questions.
Old 09-29-2006, 09:10 PM
eospeed
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1. I think that is high you need bigger inj

2. Yes thats normal

3.Pretty standard I think.
Old 09-30-2006, 01:28 AM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Aren't WideBands fun

Fuel pressure is a little high - I would rather see lower pressures and bigger injectors.
When you let off the throttle, the idle switch is tripped, and the engine cuts fuel - this causes the lean condition (no harm 'cept saving a little gas). Running rich will cause some black smoke, this is normal also.
11.1-12.6 is kinda a big spread, are you stock chipped/afm?

Rogue
Old 09-30-2006, 01:32 AM
M Danger
Three Wheelin'

hey i have a simillar set up, with the same head and Tial, did you notice any increase?
Old 09-30-2006, 08:34 AM
chapstic951
Pro

Rogue,
The spread is closer to 11.10 - 11.70 (there was a spike here and there that encouraged me to include the 12.+ numbers). As for chips and afm, I forgot to include that info in my signature. I have Weltmeister chips and a stock afm. Regarding the high pressure. Can the OEM injectors handle higher PSI's or am I tempting fate with them leaking.

I am looking into larger injectors today. Since a Vitesse MAF is in my future, I think it may be wise to upgrade the injectors too. I will talk to Chris about my options.

M, I have definately felt some improvements, i.e. the boost holding until it hits .8 bar from the Tial and it being more consistant. I have been troubleshooting a lot of vacuum leaks recently so it is tought to tell what are performance improvements and what is "how it should be running." I am also running stock boost right now until I get all vacuum leaks down and the A/F under control
Old 09-30-2006, 10:32 PM
chapstic951
Pro

PM bump for more feedback.....

What is an unsafe pressure to put on OEM injectors?
Old 09-30-2006, 11:25 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by chapstic951
Rogue,
The spread is closer to 11.10 - 11.70 (there was a spike here and there that encouraged me to include the 12.+ numbers). As for chips and afm, I forgot to include that info in my signature. I have Weltmeister chips and a stock afm. Regarding the high pressure. Can the OEM injectors handle higher PSI's or am I tempting fate with them leaking.
I wouldn't expect an issue with the higher pressure... the old turbo dodges ran 55psi (base fp) from factory.
BTW you could prob get the AFR narrowed down with a piggy-back of some sorts. No need to run richer then 11.5 (anything richer and your losing power anyway).

Rogue

Quick Reply: Post Zeitronix Observation and question (A/F)