Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

So this box with my name on it arrived from Vitesse...

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2006, 05:51 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Thom
Not trying to compare apples with oranges but ...

What would experienced 951 owners here go for between a DTA with GT30** turbo and a VR kit ?

I suspect the latter would require less work, but would it offer as much "refinement" as the former ?
I have used the DTA, I even sell them. For a standalone, I like the DTA, it's a very nice system. On the 951, I'm yet to see a reason to go to a standalone, as we (Vitesse) are able to perform anything we want with the stock Motronic.
Drivability wise, it takes lots of work to get a standalone to match the stock setup. For a race car, you may not worry about the drivability as you are (or better be) under WOT most of the time.
As long as you get good drivability, good AFR and ignition under all conditions with top-notch reliability, it really makes no difference which system you use.

People that do not know the Motronic sell it short. Lots of people claim to know the Motronic. If the end user wants full access, today there is only one option, and it's a standalone system. But who knows, things might change!

Brian, theedge - Nice system. I was thinking of installing a MS on my supercharged 914, the price was very reasonable. I ended up installing a 944 Motronic system with a wasted spark setup. Talk about a project! Old technology, meats new (actually not so new) technology, all Porsche.
Old 09-29-2006, 07:16 PM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts

Hey Brian! As John knows, I'm tinkering with mine so I can't wait to hear your thoughts on the turbo. It's likely to be my next purchase anyhow...

As far as MS... glad to hear you got it down! Dad and I are having trouble getting MS running on is 911. I think we need a seperate map or control for a 7th injector. You might recall it's a 3.8 big bore with a supercharger. It's using a pickup from an Electromotive twin plug unit. 3.0 had a crank trigger, this motor is based on it, so the timing should be correct. We think it's fuel. Can you could look at a fuel map and see what's up?
Old 09-29-2006, 07:22 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris White
Ummmm…nope.
Traditional (some folks call it European) braking is to only apply the brakes while traveling in a straight line – We were all told that this was the only safe way to brake (remember drivers ed in high school?) Trail Braking or trailing brake is when you do the majority of the braking in a straight line but continue to brake as you turn in. The purpose is two fold – it allows you to start barking just a tad later but the main benefit is to use the brakes to rotate the car. No, not like fast and furious, it’s a controlled action that helps the car to turn into the apex.
From a technical stand point not only is this used to rotate the car but it also fills out the friction circle. That’s a whole other thread….

Chris White
Thanks Chris...but I'm not sure how "barking" a tad later will help? lol
and Rob, I do left foot brake and sometimes through the corner as described but it is a practised art as you say. Oh, yes fair point, I shouldn't hijak thread. Sorry. I will check out that video.
Old 09-29-2006, 08:07 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Perry 951
Hey Brian! As John knows, I'm tinkering with mine so I can't wait to hear your thoughts on the turbo. It's likely to be my next purchase anyhow...

As far as MS... glad to hear you got it down! Dad and I are having trouble getting MS running on is 911. I think we need a seperate map or control for a 7th injector. You might recall it's a 3.8 big bore with a supercharger. It's using a pickup from an Electromotive twin plug unit. 3.0 had a crank trigger, this motor is based on it, so the timing should be correct. We think it's fuel. Can you could look at a fuel map and see what's up?
I could have a look, but the maps are the only things I have yet to have much experience with, since my engine died before I got past the base map stage

What kinda troubles? Lack of fuel/running lean?

You can email me at thedge@gmail.com if youd like.
Old 09-29-2006, 08:10 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fast951
I have used the DTA, I even sell them. For a standalone, I like the DTA, it's a very nice system. On the 951, I'm yet to see a reason to go to a standalone, as we (Vitesse) are able to perform anything we want with the stock Motronic.
Drivability wise, it takes lots of work to get a standalone to match the stock setup. For a race car, you may not worry about the drivability as you are (or better be) under WOT most of the time.
As long as you get good drivability, good AFR and ignition under all conditions with top-notch reliability, it really makes no difference which system you use.

People that do not know the Motronic sell it short. Lots of people claim to know the Motronic. If the end user wants full access, today there is only one option, and it's a standalone system. But who knows, things might change!

Brian, theedge - Nice system. I was thinking of installing a MS on my supercharged 914, the price was very reasonable. I ended up installing a 944 Motronic system with a wasted spark setup. Talk about a project! Old technology, meats new (actually not so new) technology, all Porsche.
Certainly an interesting combo I would have stayed with Motronic, but I wanted a bigger challenge so I went with the MS. Its kept me out of trouble and boredom for many hours so far
Old 10-02-2006, 02:41 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by theedge
Certainly an interesting combo I would have stayed with Motronic, but I wanted a bigger challenge so I went with the MS. Its kept me out of trouble and boredom for many hours so far
Most important bonehead, you dont have a job!!! So you have nothing to do but tinker with that toy!!

Old 10-02-2006, 02:45 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Woof

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Thanks Chris...but I'm not sure how "barking" a tad later will help? lol
and Rob, I do left foot brake and sometimes through the corner as described but it is a practised art as you say. Oh, yes fair point, I shouldn't hijak thread. Sorry. I will check out that video.
Old 10-02-2006, 02:50 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

[QUOTE=fast951]I have used the DTA, I even sell them. For a standalone, I like the DTA, it's a very nice system. On the 951, I'm yet to see a reason to go to a standalone, as we (Vitesse) are able to perform anything we want with the stock Motronic.

QUOTE]

Most Stand alone systems come in shinier boxes....
Old 10-02-2006, 02:50 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Woof
Goddamit, get off of Rennlist and work on Brian and Pauls stuff, let alone the other people. And then me at the end of the line? Damn!

I got your woof, right here pal!

Old 10-02-2006, 03:14 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Your just grumpy because you are 50 posts behind!
(that should be good for another day at Rob's pace!)

Originally Posted by RolexNJ
Goddamit, get off of Rennlist and work on Brian and Pauls stuff, let alone the other people. And then me at the end of the line? Damn!

I got your woof, right here pal!

Old 10-02-2006, 04:17 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Your just grumpy because you are 50 posts behind!
(that should be good for another day at Rob's pace!)
Ok, the gloves are now now. Cancel the Tec 3, I want a AFM instead! And no shiny box too!

Quick Reply: So this box with my name on it arrived from Vitesse...