Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

240SX or 951

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2006, 01:46 PM
2000wrx
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I guess i'm many many years to late then

Hmmmm maybe an E30, M5 power and a turbo...

Its just hard to find one car that will satisfy all that I want. In the end I keep finding that my Subaru is a hard number to beat when it comes to performance/utility/cost. Its lacks the luxury, but that for me isn't an issue.

We'll see, I think the 240sx just makes more sense, sure the Porsche will be worth more 10 years from now. Only if I don't mod it or drive it, but what fun is that.
Old 09-22-2006, 02:55 PM
turbo8
Pro

get a 951 with blown engine\missing engine and put a ls1 in there bodda bing bodda boom
Old 09-22-2006, 03:45 PM
azmi951
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2000wrx
Hey another Michigan guy... I'm from SE Michigan, about 45 minute south of Flint.
that would put you in Burton or Waterford....I'm living in Farmington Hills right now. I'm sure my room mate would show you his 240.
Old 09-22-2006, 06:28 PM
Porschefile
Three Wheelin'

Many here will probably rag on the 240sx out of ignorance. If you want something that's cheap/easy to work on, has a massive aftermarket following, and is a car that you can drive as hard as possible plus beat the ever living sh*t out of then buy a 240sx. The 240sx can take so much more abuse than the 944. The 240sx is cheaper/easier to mod and can easily surpass the performance level of modded 944's for relatively cheap. It is a cheaper car, so there are some short comings to begin with (chassis isn't as stiff, stock brakes suck, etc....). I think everyone here has to have at least a little appreciation for having a car that's simple/easy/cheap to work with.

On another note, 951's are great cars as well. You get a much better car in stock form, and with simple mods you can have a very nice level of performance and power. I bought mine for more sentimental reasons, as it's one of the cars I always wanted ever since seeing one as a kid.

I think the real deciding factor is your budget and how much power you are looking for. For the price of a really nice '87+ 951 (figure $10k), you could have a 240sx with full suspension/brake upgrades and 400rwhp, including the price of the car. There's nothing wrong with either route. Drive a few of each model and decide what you enjoy, as that's all that really matters.
Old 09-22-2006, 08:53 PM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

ROFL!!! I remeber that guy that posted that street racer junk on the honda forum..even THEY tore him a new one. sooo funny...
Old 09-22-2006, 09:40 PM
Barry Johnson
Burning Brakes

Actually, if you want...
E30 bucket 2 door with a fried motor, upgrade the suspension and brakes, pop in an M50 w/E36 M3 tranny and boost it. Guys in Sweden are making over 1400hp on those motors. Then you have a light, good handling car, that makes retarded power.
Old 09-24-2006, 12:18 PM
2000wrx
Instructor

Azmi I am in the Macomb twp, Sterlign Heights area.

Thanks for all the help guys.... I was talking with the wife and if I can by some dumb luck pull it off I may shoot for a MKIV Supra... The 240 was a alternative because I figured the MKIV was way out of my range. After looking I have seen a few in the mid 20's which I think I may be able to pull off.

We'll see, besides the Porsche I really want is a nice 911 3.2L (though I dream of 930's)
Old 09-24-2006, 12:44 PM
Over Boost
Instructor

why not a cheapo 951 with no or blown motor and then put a RB in that? Better chassis + Better engine =

Its funny you said the E30 though. I used to have one and love them. First its light handles great and the motor turbo's easy. Plus its still a BMW so you still have some good rep and good quality. Thats my next project though so im biased.

Edit- Oh yea the 240sx is a great car, I almost bought one my self. However what turned me away is that EVERYONE has one and almost anything you do to it will not be that different from what others have done. But if that dosnt really matter to you then eh.
Old 09-24-2006, 03:23 PM
951North
Pro

Well my friend I've walked this road too.

The deciding factor for me was TIME. How long would it take for me to build a 240sx to my desired performance level (power, brakes, handelling, etc) In the end (after owning the 240sx for a year) I bought a 951 and sold it (240sx) because family time was worth more to me (your boys are only young once). The premium I paid for the 951 was worth it, also the performance out of the box was enough for me (for now ). That said if you REALLY want 450bhp go Nissan. If you want a Q-ship go BMW+Turbo. (I have a BMW as well).

Good luck!
Old 09-24-2006, 07:44 PM
sillbeer
Pro

If I had to do it again I would go with a sr swapped 240sx providing emissions and safety inspections wouldn't be a problem. For a street car you can have the same or better performance from an sr swapped 240 for the money. I lived in Japan for 4.5 years and owned several sr Silvia's. Parts are cheap and readily available. Many parts are interchangeable upgrades from other Nissan models. Also working on an sr is extremly easy.

-Destin
Old 09-24-2006, 08:16 PM
chris951
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love nissans, but really really hate the 240sx. I've worked on countless of these turds. The KA engines are worthless. Get a 300z if you want a decent car. Many people say that the 240 is such a good car, but I spent a year helping my roommate get his running and it didn't run very long, ****ty ****ty engines. I had another roommate buy one that caught on fire, I had one at work that the air filter had been on fire at one point, replaced everything in the coolant area and the power steering pump died. Most 240 people buy them to trash them anyways in the form of a wannabe drifter. People go crazy because it's japanese, cheap, and rear wheel drive. The aluminum head on the E and DE KA engines are rediculously soft. Find me one that hasn't had anything stripped on it. I have worked on quite a few 240s so I know how much of an absolute piece of **** they are, so don't talk **** about ignorance.
Old 09-25-2006, 12:07 AM
slownrusty
Rennlist Member

Received 337 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by chris951
I have worked on quite a few 240s so I know how much of an absolute piece of **** they are, so don't talk **** about ignorance.
Someone did not have their oatmeal this morning...wow! I disagree...but thats OK.
Old 09-25-2006, 01:51 AM
Guns951
Race Car

Save and get the 951, i may be biased but instead of just seat of the pants performance you also get a classicly styled body. Hell you can toss a big 'ol wing on and it looks at home (on the track). Porsche all the way, its not about the car itself but about its history and passion for racing - and the simple fact that these cars were raised on the track (born rather) speaks volumes. There is also much power to be found in these cars as the factory did not follow through as they should have as it would have beaten the flagship 911.

Take your time, save up and go for the Porsche go fast goodies from Vitesse and SFR, you'll have something you can one day show your kids and they'll go "wow!"

Either way best of luck
Old 09-25-2006, 11:02 AM
2000wrx
Instructor

Thanks guys for all the words...

I will save my cash and see what my budget says, I know I can afford to buy and drive a 951, the bigger question is will if fill me curent need for performance.

Another car that I have considered is the last gen. Supra... The cost to buy is very high but the performance potentional is untouchable for the money. Sure it isn't as light and flickable on the track but it can get it done just the same. Seems to fit a in more of a GT class of car.

Who knows... but I appreciate all the opinions.

Quick Reply: 240SX or 951