Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Curiosity killed the clutch

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 04:44 PM
chapstic951
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is that what that stench was? Damn, I am 2500 miles away and I can smell it all the way over here.

I did a clutch drop once and that stink was enough to make me not want to do it again....plus the bill I would be looking at if I roached it.
Old 09-20-2006, 04:58 PM
gstreev
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This may come in handy.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWA%3AIT
Old 09-20-2006, 08:09 PM
mwc951
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Correct me if I'm wrong.....but that PP sure looks more like a KEP than an OEM.
Old 09-21-2006, 12:11 AM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

First off I'll say that aside from one drag-track session where I did very poorly due to slow starts, I hadn't done anything stupid like that with the tranny prior to this attack of retardedness. Luckily nothing seemed to happen with the clutch-drop, but I probably am exagerating it (it may have been a 3k drop?). Only knew about the wheel hop from one of the botched starts at the drags.

Reading through the posts it sounds like I'm pretty much like you guys - I usually am extremely slow with starting, slowly slipping it out from about 1500 or so. Also was in one of those "just taking the new car out" modes since I haven't really done that yet, so thats probably why I did this.

The car is still very drivable, I've been driving it almost every day since then. As I had mentioned in the first post, the clutch just seems to be a lot easier to use than before - like a cheap manual truck or something. Well, not even close to that bad, but more so in that direction of application than it was before. As I've been driving I'm getting the idea that the clutch is in fact slipping, because when on the highway and it gets to full boost it definatly doesn't pull as hard as before. So unless I fux0red the engine or the rest of the drivetrain up somehow, I'm guessing thats the clutch. Still stinks like burnt clutch whenever it moves. Maybe I'll get lucky and the stink is just the glazing being burnt/rubbed off.

But yeah, at the rate I'm going I'll probably just keep driving it until its completely gone and then take it to the shop and get the other work done at the same time. Maybe let my brother learn to drive a manual or something since its already gone.

Poo, I haven't been thinking of anything else but this recently. Well, how much it'll cost. I feel so retarded... I've definatly learned my lesson now.

Another question: How long can clutches last? I just looked through the records and didn't see anything about a previous clutch replacement - is it possible that its still on the original clutch after 80k mi? I know the previous owners were not at all hard on the car.
Old 09-21-2006, 12:22 AM
Zedmau5
Instructor

I did a clutch drop at the dragstrip in my first car, a 2000 camaro. Terrible idea... i was 16, and teenagers make bad decisions. You could hear all the pieces of the clutch bouncing around the tranny when the car was running.

I Called my parents, they chewed me a new one for racing, had the car towed to the tranny shop... when the tech took apart the tranny i was there, and all the pieces of my clutch fell onto the floor and he yelled "JENGA !"

Moral of the story... I will never drop my clutch, ever again. Too bad I had to learn the hard way.
Old 09-21-2006, 12:36 AM
Eharrison
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

"Jenga" that's pretty funny. For him, not you....
Old 09-21-2006, 01:21 AM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ShawnHart
I did a clutch drop at the dragstrip in my first car, a 2000 camaro. Terrible idea... i was 16, and teenagers make bad decisions. You could hear all the pieces of the clutch bouncing around the tranny when the car was running.

I Called my parents, they chewed me a new one for racing, had the car towed to the tranny shop... when the tech took apart the tranny i was there, and all the pieces of my clutch fell onto the floor and he yelled "JENGA !"

Moral of the story... I will never drop my clutch, ever again. Too bad I had to learn the hard way.
Lucky for you it was only a chevy.
Old 09-21-2006, 08:50 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

I do clutch drops all the time….they usually roll under the tool box and are a pain to go get. Flywheel drops are worse – you can loose a toe that way.

Chris White
Old 09-21-2006, 11:13 AM
Phi1720
Rennlist Member

BaDumpChing!^^^
Old 09-21-2006, 11:44 AM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

So how do all do all these people do these cluthc drops over and over and 2 minute long brunouts and their cars are just fine??? both imports and somestics.
Old 09-21-2006, 11:44 AM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 183 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by billthe3
First off I'll say that aside from one drag-track session where I did very poorly due to slow starts, I hadn't done anything stupid like that with the tranny prior to this attack of retardedness. Luckily nothing seemed to happen with the clutch-drop, but I probably am exagerating it (it may have been a 3k drop?). Only knew about the wheel hop from one of the botched starts at the drags.

Reading through the posts it sounds like I'm pretty much like you guys - I usually am extremely slow with starting, slowly slipping it out from about 1500 or so. Also was in one of those "just taking the new car out" modes since I haven't really done that yet, so thats probably why I did this.

The car is still very drivable, I've been driving it almost every day since then. As I had mentioned in the first post, the clutch just seems to be a lot easier to use than before - like a cheap manual truck or something. Well, not even close to that bad, but more so in that direction of application than it was before. As I've been driving I'm getting the idea that the clutch is in fact slipping, because when on the highway and it gets to full boost it definatly doesn't pull as hard as before. So unless I fux0red the engine or the rest of the drivetrain up somehow, I'm guessing thats the clutch. Still stinks like burnt clutch whenever it moves. Maybe I'll get lucky and the stink is just the glazing being burnt/rubbed off.

But yeah, at the rate I'm going I'll probably just keep driving it until its completely gone and then take it to the shop and get the other work done at the same time. Maybe let my brother learn to drive a manual or something since its already gone.

Poo, I haven't been thinking of anything else but this recently. Well, how much it'll cost. I feel so retarded... I've definatly learned my lesson now.

Another question: How long can clutches last? I just looked through the records and didn't see anything about a previous clutch replacement - is it possible that its still on the original clutch after 80k mi? I know the previous owners were not at all hard on the car.
Bill,
Do we need to bring the BFH for the next run to tap you on the head for your behavior? Really, if you just glazed the disc and turned the PP/FW facings a pretty blue color you can drive the car for quite a while. You are not hearing any loose noises from wayward springs or parts so I would just give it some time and see what happens IMO. Could be that once the resin you cooked burns off a bit you will get some of the old grip back. The backside of Ebbett's Pass should do the job on the Sierra Run Oct. 8th.

Last edited by KuHL 951; 09-21-2006 at 12:22 PM.
Old 09-21-2006, 11:47 AM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by toddk911
So how do all do all these people do these cluthc drops over and over and 2 minute long brunouts and their cars are just fine??? both imports and somestics.
Burnout is different, clutch is engaged fully through it, but they are probably have a better technique for feathering a little and not just popping their foot off the clutch at 4500rpms. Actually I was going to direct you to this thread on what you mentioned your car did this morning, that hopping is something mine did right before it started slipping!
Old 09-21-2006, 12:10 PM
dacula951
Instructor

The best way of determining clutch slippage is to get on the boost in top gear and watch the tach. If the RPMs increase a bunch and decrease when you let off, you know it slipped. It will tend to slip less in the lower gears and will be harder to notice.
Old 09-21-2006, 12:24 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rberry951
Burnout is different, clutch is engaged fully through it, but they are probably have a better technique for feathering a little and not just popping their foot off the clutch at 4500rpms. Actually I was going to direct you to this thread on what you mentioned your car did this morning, that hopping is something mine did right before it started slipping!
Ok, but my clutch is pretty new. ?????
Old 09-21-2006, 05:17 PM
Kool
Part of the IN Crowd
Rennlist Member

I could never bring myself to drop the clutch in any of my cars.

My first truck was an automatic and it would leave 100ft black strips and chirp second. That was fun. My dad could never figure out how I would go through tires soo fast.

Quick Reply: Curiosity killed the clutch