Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

All new GT-K turbos

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 09:24 AM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Norm, Have you found any flow meters that small?
Old 09-21-2006, 10:16 AM
ngoldrich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lutjen, BTW - I also raced a 1989 E-stock turbo 944 for a little over a year. It was a great car.
Also in 1987 I purchased a 1986 Turbo 944 and loved it. In 3.5 years I put 90K miles on it...

Dave, the flow meters I am looking at are pretty small but I have to find out if they can handle viscosity... I dont know much about them yet. I will get into it this winter.

Your racecar in your avatar is looking pretty cool - will you race it in PCA?

Norm
Old 09-21-2006, 10:19 AM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ngoldrich
Dave, the flow meters I am looking at are pretty small but I have to find out if they can handle viscosity... I dont know much about them yet. I will get into it this winter.

Your racecar in your avatar is looking pretty cool - will you race it in PCA?

Norm
If I ever find the time this winter to finish it..

This might a be dumb idea but I was wondering if you couldn't just disconnect the line and let it pump into a graduated container and time it to determin flow over time.. make sense??
Old 09-21-2006, 10:35 AM
ngoldrich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Dave,

Thats not a dump question- it is a clever idea..

However, the problem is then I will have no flow lubricating the turbo bearings while turbo is spinning.

Although I could take a used set of turbos put them on and do it realizing they will be completely destroyed, but I dont want to do that in case it causes a catastrophic failure on the turbo shafts and causes pieces of the impeller to go into the intercooler and intake...

Plus both the cooling line and bearing line must be hooked up, because I am guessing the pressure differential on the T will affect the real flow through the bearing feed line. Which is why I think I need to do it with an inline flow meter.

But it is just a guess on my part...

Thanks,
Norm
Old 09-21-2006, 10:59 AM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by evil 944t
If I ever find the time this winter to finish it..

Let's see, the car sat here for 3-4 years as a project to be completed, and now going on 1-2 years with you? I think the car likes to sit in the garage LOL..

Norm, Since you know your oil pressure and oil temps under operating conditions. You know the size of the oil line (and orfice). Someone here might be able to calculate the flow without doing any actual testing.
Testing/measuring can be fun. Instead of running the test on the car, wouldn't it be possible to come up with some sort of a pressurized container to do the test (An accusump? + air pressure regulated to maintain required pressure, feeding the same size line as you have?)
Old 09-21-2006, 11:46 AM
jacklet
Racer

did you tee off of the original -3 line to feed both?
Old 09-21-2006, 11:52 AM
ngoldrich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Jacklet, John,

Each turbo T's off its own -3 feed line.

While I think some pressurized test method would indeed work; since I know less about flow rates I was going to take the safe actual route and see what truly happens when it runs.

I would guess that your suggestion if setup properly would indeed work; however, I am not sure of the supply feed volume and flow feeding both of the -3's..

Plus the recording it on data acq is pretty cool if I get the right sensor...

Thanks,
Norm
Old 09-21-2006, 01:26 PM
gcb951
Burning Brakes

I suppose these new fancy turbos will be avalible with the BB option? Am I right in assuming this?
Old 09-21-2006, 01:41 PM
Laust Pedersen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Jacklet, John,

Each turbo T's off its own -3 feed line.

While I think some pressurized test method would indeed work; since I know less about flow rates I was going to take the safe actual route and see what truly happens when it runs.

I would guess that your suggestion if setup properly would indeed work; however, I am not sure of the supply feed volume and flow feeding both of the -3's..

Plus the recording it on data acq is pretty cool if I get the right sensor...

Thanks,
Norm
Norm,

How are the bearing oil supply and cooling supply connected?

In series, first through the cooling section then to the bearing?
Or in parallel, part of the oil to the bearing and another part to the cooling section and then both drained to the sump?

The parallel connection gives the best cooling, but requires two separate restrictors to keep adequate flow to the bearing. The restrictor to the cooling section could in this case be increased until the pressure drops slightly before the split.

Laust
Old 09-21-2006, 01:55 PM
gcb951
Burning Brakes

Pisses me off that as soon as I am ready to bolt my crap back together, something better comes along. Oh well, can't stop progress.
Old 09-21-2006, 03:06 PM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

Dave,

Thats not a dump question- it is a clever idea..

However, the problem is then I will have no flow lubricating the turbo bearings while turbo is spinning.

Thanks,
Norm
Cleavor, thanks..lol

I would test it at idle and then at a couple different rpms and see how much oil comes out. I would not drive the car but take the measurements and try to figure out how much oil flows at X amount of rpm. It will increase in volume as rpms increase and it should be linear.

I'm not for sure but thats my 2cents..lol
Old 09-21-2006, 03:28 PM
TurboTim
Banned

Originally Posted by gcb951
I suppose these new fancy turbos will be avalible with the BB option? Am I right in assuming this?

They only come ball-bearing.

Tim
Old 09-21-2006, 04:25 PM
Trucho-951
Pro

Tim,
I know you said these new turbos will be bolt on for the 951, but with such a large diameter air inlet, will it be bolt on without having to relocate the alternator?
Old 09-21-2006, 04:44 PM
TurboTim
Banned

Originally Posted by Trucho-951
Tim,
I know you said these new turbos will be bolt on for the 951, but with such a large diameter air inlet, will it be bolt on without having to relocate the alternator?

They will come with inlets ranging from 3-4" so yes they will fit without relocating the alternator.

Tim
Old 09-21-2006, 05:04 PM
Porschefile
Three Wheelin'

Norm, on behalf of the 951 forum, thank you for all of the valuable first hand info you've given us! I too would absolutely love to see the dyno sheet, if it's not too much of a bother. Just curious but, what does your car weigh again? God, that car must really move! I remember seeing a video or 2 of it floating around the 'list, and it seems to be the equivalent of strapping a Recaro to an ICBM.

Quick Reply: All new GT-K turbos