??? for Mafterburner gurus

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 11:01 PM
Andial951
Legend Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rberry951
The mafterburner, or any other signal tuner is only meant to make small changes to dial in 'already good' baseline performance which should be provided by the chips. But chips that use the FQS to select injector size aren't the best way to go. The FQS switch uses an across the board change in fuel, and no timing adjustments. Different injectors don't flow largely different rates across the board, so that method of sizing isn't the best way to do it. Several chips have selectable injector size via FQS, but they are all the same, an across the board sweep.

Regards,
Russell
So keeping the above in mind is the mafterburner worth the extra expense for that little bit of fine tuning? How much more are you getting out of the car by using it or any similar piggyback?
Old 09-19-2006, 12:29 AM
RKD in OKC
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

MafterBurner is not InjectorTuner. The main function is to tune the voltage ouput of the MAF. MAF's may be all calibrated to something, but in my experience of trying different hotwires, they are all just a bit different and can use a bit of tweaking.

And yes you can get chips that are tuned close enough for most situations, especially if they come as a kit with the MAF. That being said, the chips that came with the Autothority MAF that was on my car when I got it were quite rich in the midrange and leaned out up top with the stock fuel pressure regulator. A 3bar regulator fixed the top end just fine, but the midrange was pig richer. With an adj fuel pressure regulator and the MafterBurner I was able to get it runing great.
Old 09-19-2006, 06:06 AM
tedesco
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My opinion is clearly that the mafterburner is worth the money. It is about the same price as a set of chips and you can modifie and tune it as you like whereas chips are fixed. It additionaly offers data logging capabilities which would cost additional money if you just have chips. The adjustment range is not little but quite big. If you look at my grah you can see that adjustment of about +/-30% were made.
So the answer for me is clearly YES if you want to keep stock ECU.
On the other hand a stand alone is the better alternative. Add the cost for fuel piggyback, chips, boost control and a simple data logger and it will easily buy you a reasonably good aftermarket ECU with some money left for dyno time. In the end it will still be a bit more expensive but will also be superior in the results and a lot more flexible.

Quick Reply: ??? for Mafterburner gurus