Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Steering feel and Manual Rack Noise/Play

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2006, 09:31 PM
GreyDog
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry Steering feel and Manual Rack Noise/Play

Hi all, need some help on a steering issue that has not gone away....after replacing alot.

The new (from 944 online, not rebuilt) manual rack went in, and I still have play and noise in the steering.

The new rack solved alot of the wandering at speed, tracks fairly straight, but is not totally predictable or confidence inspiring. I've had many other cars with better feel. Doesn't feel hunkered down.

The rack, intermediate shaft, full tie rods and bushings have just been replaced (and KLR upper bearings). Cotrol arms, ball joints, bushings are about 1.5 years old. Suspension is Paragon koni/coil-over AHRK kit.

Other than tires, which I'm planning to change on fronts to check for difference, what is left that could be worn and can introduce play and a noise that I hear and feel in the steering wheel ? I don't hear noise outside car, more through the steering colum/wheel.

You can sit in the car stationary and hear "knocka, knocka, knocka" as you rock the wheel back and forth.

Does a Porsche rack have "normal" play and noise beyond what typical cars have ?

Driving me nuts !
Old 09-13-2006, 10:08 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nope
Old 09-13-2006, 10:23 PM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I installed the same kit from 944online this past spring, and I have no noise or play.

You didn't mention anything about replacing/checking front wheel bearings. Could they possibly be worn or in need of adjustment?
Old 09-14-2006, 01:42 PM
GreyDog
Rennlist Member

Thanks everyone !

The wheel bearings are tight, checked both in the spring, lube looked good too (not overheated or old).

I'm gonna investigate the upper steering column and steering wheel, see what's up.
Old 09-14-2006, 02:28 PM
kasturbo
Addict
Rennlist Member

Are the front struts new or did you just add the ride height kit? Do the springs bind at all when you turn the wheel? Also make sure the springs are seated all the way.

My first guess would be that bushing in the intermediate shaft, but you say you replaced that. Maybe the bearings need to be repacked. Bad sway bar bushings make noise, but only when you turn when moving, not sitting still. Also, how are the ball joints?
Old 09-14-2006, 03:09 PM
dacula951
Instructor

How about the steering shaft u-joints? A little bit of play in one of those can cause a lot of play and noise in the steering wheel.

Also, most steering racks have an adjustment for tightening the rack. I once bought a new rack for a VW and I tweaked this adjustment because I thought it was a wee bit loose from the factory.
Old 09-14-2006, 04:20 PM
jacklet
Racer

you replaced the steering rack mounting bushings right
Old 09-14-2006, 04:31 PM
GreyDog
Rennlist Member

Thanks all !

Rack bushings are new, struts were new at the time the springs went in, control arms were new and included new ball joints and now have poly bushings.

The springs boing a wee bit when going to full lock, otherwise OK.

Steering shaft was replaced, kit included that piece, I visually confirmed too !

I didn't see an adjustment screw on the manual rack (have seen that on PS racks), is there one ?

I just took a vid w/my camera, once I figure out how to do that in a post I'll include it so you can see/hear the deal.
Old 09-14-2006, 09:10 PM
GreyDog
Rennlist Member

OK, more details....

I have a vid clip, just can't find anywhere to post it. If anyone is interested in watching 4 second clip, I'll e-mail it.

Also, took another look under the dash, everything was fine, the column appears solid, there is no in/out, up/down, or side/side movement in the steering wheel.

The sound was behind the firewall. Sound occurs only when you move across the neutral zone, crossing center position. When you twist the rack beyond center and wiggle back/forth while on one side of center position, no sound/play, all sounds/feels tight.

So, my 8 year old son comes out to the garage and wiggles the wheel while I look/listen around.
- Does not sound like rack play/noise (though the center position thing has me wondering).
- Does sound like its near the firewall in the engine compartment.
- Peering through the wires/hoses above the brake vac booster and down to the firewall, I see the u-joint shaft and the splined column shaft exiting the firewall.
- That u-joint is either bad and making alot of noise, or.
- Its loose !? The coupling does not appear tight. When the wheel is wiggled back/forth, there appears to be a movement between the column's splined shaft and the upper u-joint coupling. Seems like I can see grease slightly moving in that connection. The two seem to be binding at an angle to each other as you wiggle the wheel.

Question is, how can I even steer the car if its lose ?

Last question, does the intermediate shaft only install one way, or can either end of the IS fit to either the rack or column?

Thanks !
Old 09-15-2006, 10:20 PM
GreyDog
Rennlist Member

Well, I've discovered that the upper u-joint on the new intermediate shaft is loose too, probably the major culprit. The internal cross/X shaped thing is wiggling in its sockets.

How easily are these things damaged during install ? The manual has warnings about loading weight on the shaft/u-joints. Guess they're fairly delicate?

Anyway, thanks for the input.
Old 10-13-2006, 10:30 PM
GreyDog
Rennlist Member

Update: All fixed now, the issue was the upper u-joint coupling to the steering column end was loose. The wrong bolt was used (diameter too small and wrong head).

All's good now !

New front tires, and the car drives MUCH better. Feels solid.

- Later.

Quick Reply: Steering feel and Manual Rack Noise/Play