Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Replacement engine for blown motor?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2006 | 02:41 PM
mudbuddha
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Replacement engine for blown motor?

Hey guys...

Blew my turbo S motor. Not sure exaclty why other than something blew out from underneath the car- probably a rod or something. One thing for sure is that I am looking for a replacement engine and would like your thoughts on what to do and where to find a decent motor as well as price range.

I just had a K27, 3 bar FPR and Greddy EBC installed as well as the WF HG and have not been able to tune it and boost spike and the lack of tuning must have contributed to this mess. The motor was sputtering slightly and a/f was a little out of whack just prior to it blowing. On boost, it pulled very strong before it gave in. From the top everything looks normal but from the bottom is not so good. Can the top be reuse some how or the whole thing got to be replaced?

TIA

Duke
Old 09-11-2006 | 02:51 PM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Geeeez, sorry to hear that Duke. You can't really know what you can re-use until you get inside. So long as your pistons and valves didn't meet you should be able to use most of your top I would think.

Russell
Old 09-11-2006 | 03:18 PM
caster951
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 50k mile motor out of an 87 951 available for sale. Send me a PM for details if interested. It is located in Columbus, Ohio.
Old 09-11-2006 | 03:42 PM
EdC
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Time for a V8?
Old 09-11-2006 | 04:58 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Duke, Sorry about the engine. Tuning is the most important element for a long engine life!!
The only way you can figure out what components can be reused is by inspecting the parts once you take the engine apart. Assume the bottom end is gone, the top-end and turbo MUST be inspected, don't assume they are fine..
You should clean out the oil cooler and ALL oil lines before installing the new engine. Make sure you get the proper software/tuning before running the new engine.

Getting a used engine might be the least expensive route. However, make sure it has a well documented history. I recommend replacing the rod-bearings and all maintenance items (seals, water pump, belts..) while engine is out of the car.

Good Luck!
Old 09-11-2006 | 08:16 PM
mudbuddha
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks you for your thoughts. It's the first time that something like this happen and I am not quite sure what to do other than to make sure the motor is properly tuned like John and other mentioned.
I'll do some search on HG failure and such but is it normal to have something blown out from underneath the car when the HG fails? What should I keep in mind when preparing it for the next install?

Caster944- I'll send you a PM.

EdC- What's the cost involve for such a conversion?
Old 09-11-2006 | 09:12 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sounds like you had a rod bearing failure...

but here's a teaser if it's still active
http://www.560sec.com/albums/944-six...1luvnItVid.mpg

Quick Reply: Replacement engine for blown motor?