Would like to hear your comments. Below are the numbers under full boost

A/F

3500 rpm 11.7
4000 rpm 12.1
4500 rpm 11.9
5000rpm 12.2
5500 rpm 11.9
6000 rpm 12.3

And there is a spike too 12.4 at 4800rpm.

How does this look to all the experts out there? Possibly a little lean? What would be ideal, 11.8 all the way under boost? Should I leave it like it is or try and tune it a little better. The car put down 341rwhp on this dyno pull.
Old 09-09-2006, 10:17 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

A/F looks fine. What type of clutch are you using and how much boost are you running?
Old 09-09-2006, 11:16 PM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like to see 11.5 to no more than 12.1 across the board, if it's leaner on the bottom end under little boost it's no biggie, it'll usually run better. But it is also dependent upon what boost level you are running. If you're putting down 341rwhp then you're running 18psi or better, or you have an enourmous turbo. You've said nothing about your setup, which plays greatly on your A/F goal. But again, judging from the numbers provided and the fact that you're spiking lean at 4800-5000 you have at least a K27/8, maybe bigger. Late spool and slightly lean condition when it reaches full boost.

To answer whether it could be tuned better, a LOT of info must be provided, everything from your air filter to your exhaust tip. Then we would be better armed to give you a definitive answer of where you are.

Regards,
Russell
Old 09-09-2006, 11:32 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Your AFR is fine, you can richen it up a bit to get 11.8:1 across. I'm sure you know that your chip/board is setup for pump gas as well as race gas. Make sure you never run the race gas maps on pump gas.
I believe the Stage 2 dyno on the website (Yellow color) is from your car (previous owner emailed it to me). Very nice power band, lots of torque early on (almost like a V8).
Old 09-10-2006, 07:31 AM
VRSTAGE2
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fast951
Your AFR is fine, you can richen it up a bit to get 11.8:1 across. I'm sure you know that your chip/board is setup for pump gas as well as race gas. Make sure you never run the race gas maps on pump gas.
I believe the Stage 2 dyno on the website (Yellow color) is from your car (previous owner emailed it to me). Very nice power band, lots of torque early on (almost like a V8).
Yes that is my car on your website. It is running great.

I'm new to the world of piggybacks and I don't know if I'm running race maps or pump gas maps. I'm running pump gas so I hope it's the latter! Is there a quick way to find out? John, I try and give you a call tomorrow.
Old 09-10-2006, 09:38 AM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

did you buy that car out of Corpus Christi? The avatar looks like an engine that JAB Racing built, based on that intercooler pipe from the turbo...is that your engine?
Old 09-10-2006, 06:24 PM
VRSTAGE2
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ski
did you buy that car out of Corpus Christi? The avatar looks like an engine that JAB Racing built, based on that intercooler pipe from the turbo...is that your engine?
Yes it is my car in the avatar. It was built in Texas by JAB racing and bought by a gentleman in Georgia, I just bought it from him last week. The car has less than 3000 miles since all the work has been done, there are a lot of nice 951's out there but I feel very lucky to have been in the market when this one was for sale.
Old 09-10-2006, 06:50 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by VRSTAGE2
Yes that is my car on your website. It is running great.

I'm new to the world of piggybacks and I don't know if I'm running race maps or pump gas maps. I'm running pump gas so I hope it's the latter! Is there a quick way to find out? John, I try and give you a call tomorrow.
Email me directly, and I'll send you the instructions.
Old 09-10-2006, 06:52 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

That's it. The intercooler pipes were done by a local guy in Corpus, it was painted in Corpus as well. The car came out of Dallas, where it sat for two years with a dead DME. Paul Piper bought it from the owner and brought it down to CC TX. He got with my partner in JAB Racing, Jim Lankford. I did the work up for the car with Jim about the budget, he did the engine as I couldn't get down for this build but would have loved to be there. It got new rod bearings, it has new OEM lifters that were sourced from a guy who'd been hoarding them. The head was sent to LR for a stage I refresh. There was no play in the crankshaft so the main bearings were not changed, nor did we think they were needed. The car has all new sensors(S&R, temp, DME temp, oil pressure sender) new water pump, belts, seals, gaskets, rod bearings, Cup Car PP and 930 disc for the clutch. VR II kit of course, new hoses and expansion tank. Rotors and pads were also done, along with the Mille Miglia wheels and I can't recall what tires or suspension. I think he was going to put 968 bars under it but can't be sure. The car fired on the first try. I think Paul also put in new carpet and and front seat leather. Paul brought it back to Jim about 3 months later after a couple of oil changes because there was oil in the intercooler pipes. The car had great compression, like 147-150 on all cylinders, less than 2% leakdown, Jim was baffled and called me. I asked him to pull the dipstick and low and behold, Paul had been adding 3/4 of an extra quart because he read on "RL" to add a bit extra. They drained a quart out, Paul drove the car for a month, all was great; no more oil in the pipes and it was on ebay the next month because he proposed to his girlfriend and they bought a house ! good find and a nice car, congrats. Get your membership here, it's well worth it.

Last edited by Ski; 09-10-2006 at 08:23 PM.
Old 09-10-2006, 07:44 PM
VRSTAGE2
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ski
That's it. The intercooler pipes were done by a local guy in Corpus, it was painted in Corpus as well. The car came out of Dallas, where it sat for two years with a dead DME. Paul Piper bought it from the owner and brought it down to CC TX. He got with my partner in JAB Racing, Jim Lankford. I did the work up for the car with Jim about the budget, he did the engine as I couldn't get down for this build. It got new rod bearings, it has new OEM lifters that were sourced from a guy we knew who'd been hoarding them. The head was sent to LR for a stage I refresh. There was no play in the crankshaft so the main bearings were not changed, nor did we think they were needed. The car has all new sensors(S&R, temp, DME temp, oil pressure sender) new water pump, belts, seals, gaskets, rod bearings, Cup Car PP and 930 disc for the clutch. VR II kit of course, new hoses and expansion tank. Rotors and pads were also done, along with the Mille Miglia wheels and I can't recall what tires or suspension. I think he was going to put 968 bars under it but can't be sure. The car fired on the first try. I think Paul also put in new carpet and and front seat leather. Paul brought it back to Jim about 3 months later after a couple of oil changes because there was oil in the intercooler pipes. The car had great compression, like 147-150 on all cylinders, less than 2% leakdown, Jim was baffled and called me. I asked him to pull the dipstick and low and behold, Paul had been adding 3/4 of an extra quart because he read on "RL" to add a bit extra. They drained a quart out, Paul drove the car for a month, all was great; no more oil in the pipes and it was on ebay the next month because he proposed to his girlfriend and they bought a house ! good find and a nice car, congrats. Get your membership here, it's well worth it.
Thank you for all the info. They also did koni adjustables on all 4 corners, front springs, front and rear 968 sawy bars etc. Could having oil in the intercooler pipes at one time do any damage? Do you know if the wastegate is venting to the atmosphere? It sounds like a "Supra" on boost!
Old 09-10-2006, 08:21 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

No, no damage, it just scared the $hit out of Paul. I don't think so, it should have SFR 3" exhaust under there - Jim didn't say anything about getting a pipe like we have on the race car, which vents to the atmosphere so I don't think so, but the other PO could have.
Old 09-11-2006, 11:15 AM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

What part of FL are you in?
Old 09-11-2006, 03:02 PM
VRSTAGE2
Instructor

Jacksonville
Old 09-11-2006, 03:33 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Cool.

We still need to get a FL get together going. We always try then seems to fall apart.

Quick Reply: A/F under boost