Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

How low is too low??

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 05:50 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts
Default How low is too low??

Just doing a bit of research on Control arms and there seems to be a fair bit of info in the search section. What I can't quite find is if there is a definitive measurement when lowering our cars that you have to get new and improved control arms eg 'Charlie-arms'. Is it 1", 1.5", 2" etc...or is it just a good idea anyway when lowering and racing to get a stronger product that also has superior bushing/bearing/ball-joints?
Thanks
Old 09-05-2006, 07:38 AM
OZ951
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

As usual it depends on a couple of things. If you lower the car a lot and do nothing else then you will get into strife with ball joint binding as the body rolls. However lowered track cars also tend to employ stiffer springs to limit body movement and hence minimise body roll and ball joint binding. In other words if you lower the car a little you'll probably get away without having to do anything else. If you lower the car a lot then stiffer suspension would help or get better control arms.
Old 09-05-2006, 08:29 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Thanks Wayne. Well I am swapping out all my Mo30 stuff for a custom made race system from KW Germany. The springs will be approx. 616 lb/in front and 708lb/in
rear so no fears of it being too soft! Their system incorporates a high speed bypass valve which is great for larger impacts such as riding the kerbs. They are adjustable in height, bump, and rebound as well. Oh and this car will be driven on the street as well although only reasonably short distances. I am still inclined to fit a stronger control arm though such as the one offered by Karl at RacersEdge. In fact OT, I bought this car out of Adelaide and it looks just like your slate grey one in some of the photo's on your website. You didn't sell that one did you?
Patrick
Old 09-05-2006, 06:04 PM
OZ951
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 333pg333
In fact OT, I bought this car out of Adelaide and it looks just like your slate grey one in some of the photo's on your website. You didn't sell that one did you?
Patrick
I sold the silver turbo when I left the US but I still have the silver NA that I bought here in Adelaide.

The spring rates you are talking about are very close to what I am looking at for my new suspension as well. Mine will be track only though.

Quick Reply: How low is too low??