Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Welt chip users

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 03:20 PM
TT
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by philcav7
Wierd, when I spoke to Dave Lindsey several weeks ago he said not to run a 3bar FPR. He said that he was very familair with the chips and had used them on his own car.

He recommended that I install a 1/8" shim only and said that was all that was included with the chip sets.

Is there more than one version/generation of the Welt chips out there for the 951? For a given model/year that is, I would understand that the chips would vary for the different models of the 951.
If you bought the set new and they didn't come with a 3bar FPR or shims, then continue using the stock FPR and don't run more than stock boost. If you bought the set used, if you can get someone to read the chip image for you then compare the idle fuel map to the stock idle fuel map. If the idle fuel maps are the same as stock, use the stock FPR. If different, then use the 3bar FPR. Information on reading the chip and examining the maps is here on the list and google.
Old 08-30-2006, 10:19 PM
CO951
Burning Brakes

I have the manual that came with the chips for my S and it says to use a 3bar FPR and WG shim (they actual came with the chips) and boost is limited to 1bar.
Old 08-30-2006, 11:25 PM
philcav7
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TT
. If you bought the set used, if you can get someone to read the chip image for you then compare the idle fuel map to the stock idle fuel map. If the idle fuel maps are the same as stock, use the stock FPR. If different, then use the 3bar FPR. Information on reading the chip and examining the maps is here on the list and google.
I bought the set used and received only the chips. I recently bought the shims but have not been able to put them in...I am trying to figure out if I want to do it myself or pay my mechanic to do it.

At any rate, getting the chips imaged seems easier said than done. Is there any way to identify by product number or the label?

I called the number on the Welt website for info but the people that answered the phone said they had nothing to do with Weltmeister, no longer carried their products, and had no information for me....bummer.
Old 08-30-2006, 11:31 PM
PORSCHE RED 951
AutoX

I have a 86 944t with the Welt. chips and WG shim installed. I purchased mine though Strasse a Porsche parts store and using the stock FPR. For this year turbo no mention of a higher FPR in the manual.
Old 08-30-2006, 11:32 PM
TT
Racer

Originally Posted by philcav7
I bought the set used and received only the chips. I recently bought the shims but have not been able to put them in...I am trying to figure out if I want to do it myself or pay my mechanic to do it.

At any rate, getting the chips imaged seems easier said than done. Is there any way to identify by product number or the label?

I called the number on the Welt website for info but the people that answered the phone said they had nothing to do with Weltmeister, no longer carried their products, and had no information for me....bummer.
Are there any labels on the chip? If so post the info (including if it is 24 or 28 pin EPROM).
Old 08-30-2006, 11:38 PM
philcav7
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, there was a label. Give me a day or two to dig them out.
Old 08-31-2006, 12:28 AM
lleroyb
Burning Brakes

I have the Welt chips, 3 bar FPR and 3mm shimmed waste gate. Search last Jan for my dyno charts with the AFR curve. I too found a dead end for current support for the chips.

Lou

Quick Reply: Welt chip users