Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Paragon front coil-over kit opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 06:09 AM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Would upgrading to the Turbo S torsion bars be good? Or would you recomend just going bigger with aftermarket?

I ask because I found a set of good condition 951S bars on ebay (don't anybody else steal them )
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWA%3AIT
Old 08-30-2006, 07:57 AM
TheRealLefty
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Again, it comes down the nose-tail balance. The Turbo S torsion bar will balance with front spring maybe up to 200/250 lbs. If you snoop around the Paragon Tech Articles, I think there is a good piece on "calculating F/R effective spring rates". Worth reading before spending.
Old 08-31-2006, 03:29 AM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ah, ok. I'll give that a read.
Old 08-31-2006, 05:34 PM
altonj
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You can also get those bearings at Smart Racing Products. They are nice piece, I use them on my coil sprung 911 DE car.

Cheers
Old 08-31-2006, 06:42 PM
Porschefile
Three Wheelin'

For all the trouble it takes to replace/index the TB's on our cars, I'd go with something larger then Turbo S TB's. I believe they were only ~175#. Depending on your front rates, I'd go with something in the 27-30mm range.
Old 08-31-2006, 08:54 PM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^^what he said...

18 year old used springs aren't on my big list of recycleable parts. And, you only want to do this job once. 27mm with your 250 front is a great setup. Bump up to 28mm if you like a loose rear (o). My favorite street setup is 300 front, 28mm rear. Those sway bars give you a little room to fine tune the whole setup no matter what, but 250 front and 25.5mm (951S) rear and that monster 28mm sway in front will be a little too pushy.

Good Luck!
Old 09-02-2006, 02:49 AM
N_Halbert
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by billthe3
Looking at the parts the springs look like they are 250lbs (or at least have 250 written on the end of the springs).

I'm getting myself confused with suspension parts though - are torsion bars different from sway bars? The car already has a 28mm Weltmiester in the front and a 22mm Weltmiester in the rear. Would these be enough to help compensate for the increased understeer the coil-overs create?
They are a good place to start especially if the rear is adjustable. The M030 stup uses a 30mm front with a 19 mm three position adjustable rear. The 22mm rear will keep the understear away.

Originally Posted by billthe3
On a side note: I really should get under the car to look at all this stuff myself - is there any special floor jack mount needed to lift the car or will the floor jack cup thing work fine with the sideskirts?
A standard 2 ton floor jack is usually fine. On mine the cup is an exact match. You may have to lift the car manully to get it under skirts or just pull up on some 2x4 or 2x6 slabs before lifting. If you have not noticed before, there is a diamond dent in the rocker half way between the front and rear. There is a jacking point under the car there. You can lift the front and rear with one lift.

NOTE: use only the jack points or front sub frame frame and suspension members to lift the car. When you place jack stands under the car (and never go under the car with out them) place them under suspension or sub frame members. Jack stands will punch up through the floor boards.

Quick Reply: Paragon front coil-over kit opinions?