Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Name that part....cooling system leak.

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 11:23 PM
formerGMguy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Name that part....cooling system leak.

I've been helping a friend out with a 951 he just bought that has a coolant leak. Today we tore off the batwing and shroud to find it and of coarse it going to be a PIA to get to. It looks like the leak is coming from about a 3/4" hose that connects just to the drivers side of the lower radiator hose where they meat the engine block. It seems like a pretty weird design since this hose appears to connect to a metal manifold/nipple that then bolts onto the engine block right beside the lower radiator hose. At any rate the leak appears to be coming where the manifold for the small hose and the engine block meat. Anyone know if there is a gasket there or what exactly this part is?

My guess is that the joint is exposed to and caused by leakage from both the oil filter during changes and power steering fluid seepage since both are right in the same proximity.

Anyone else had the same leak?
Old 08-22-2006, 11:32 PM
2bridges
Drifting

if I understand what you are seeing, you are talking a bout the turbo thermostat "housing". There is in fact an O-ring under it. Also it is actually composite (plastic) not metal. In my case the mating surface had somhow been damaged. I have to hand file aprox 1/8" to get aluminum mating surface good again. Worked great, and sealed my leak
Old 08-22-2006, 11:41 PM
formerGMguy
Racer

Excellant. That sounds about right. The hose appears to only be about 6" long and then connects to a structural black metal hardline that doubles as a brace and runs underneath the headlight accuators and then over in the direction of the turbo, so that sounds dead on.

How hard would you rate this repair. It looks like its going to be a bitch to get to. And did you come from the top or bottom?
Old 08-23-2006, 12:24 AM
2bridges
Drifting

that's it... I would say it is a 2 in dificulty........... but a 10.5 in frustration factor.

nah not really, it is a bitch to get at but really not too bad....as I recall I came in from the top for one bolts..... and the bottom for the other....

Just order up your O-ring before you start and should be a piece of cake
Old 08-23-2006, 12:37 AM
formerGMguy
Racer

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Name that part....cooling system leak.