Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Anyone ever warp their Fidanza?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 07:34 AM
Charlie944
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It might be the angle or the shadowing, or the black dust from the disc, but there is no aluminum scored away at all. I appreciate the close examiniation of the pics though.
Old 08-23-2006, 01:51 PM
Dal Heger
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Charlie944
It might be the angle or the shadowing, or the black dust from the disc, but there is no aluminum scored away at all. I appreciate the close examiniation of the pics though.

Ok, but it really looks like it's an ellipse. Maybe it is the picture. The friction surface looks like it's just plain not going out all the way to the edge, consistent all around the flywheel. Even the line were the friction area ends looks like it's not the same distance from the edge of the flywheel all the way around.
The wear area (black area) looks correct, and the friction surface doesn't.

Maybe it is the picture, maybe I'm seeing things.

Take another picture of the flywheel and post it! Just to satisfy my curiosity.

Dal.
Old 08-23-2006, 06:32 PM
Charlie944
Rennlist Member

Sure will Dal, I'll take the picture straight on because I have it off the engine now.
Old 08-23-2006, 09:07 PM
Charlie944
Rennlist Member

Here are a couple more pics of the Fidanza and the last is my OE steel flywheel for comparison.
Attached Images    
Old 08-23-2006, 11:14 PM
Dal Heger
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, it was the picture. Man, that just looked weird.

Hope you get it figured out. I just installed a fidanza on mine. . .

Dal.
Old 08-24-2006, 07:47 AM
Charlie944
Rennlist Member

Man, I hope I do too! I really enjoy the weight savings but I have had some pretty substantial clutches fail miserably before my eyes with this setup. First was the stock OE disc and pp...okay it slipped, next was the modded pp (30% stronger) and Stg 3 Kevlar disc, and fidanza which worked great until my first track day. Then would slip once heated up and this is at .5BAR too. Next was the same pp, same flywheel and Feramic disc...I thought I had it licked this time. The disc was certainly grabby and yet was tame enough to street drive. But it did not turn out to like the heat of a serious traffic jam. Although I did not feel it slip on the track I was limiting it to 1/2 throttle and .7 Bar of boost. The only thing I can narrow it down to is either the Pressure plate is still not strong enough, or the flywheel is giving me hell. And since I have the visual evidence of the clutch only wearing on the outer most edge of both the flywheel and pressure plate. I am leaning towards the flywheel. But I will be changing out both. It is so aggrevating to not be able to full-throttle the car at the track!. Good thing the suspension rocks so I am quite quick in the corners. And the tracks so far are only a couple miles long.

I hope none of you ever have these problems.
Old 08-24-2006, 08:14 AM
special tool
Banned

Charlie- I don't think it is the flywheel. I just removed mine for service of other things, and I had wear on only about 65% of the friction surface of the Fidanza from my metal clutch disk. Mine is performing beautifully at up to 30 psi.

You have done this many times, so something has to be wrong though.
The kevlar doesn't count, because that just does not belong on any 2 valve turbo Porsche - so don't sweat that one - those are fine for BMW's and hondas and other cars with no torque, not yours.

I would just get a bronze/ceramic (with spings - ask Jimbo111 where) and a KEP stage 1 - you will be done forever. You have been taken for a ride long enough - take it from me, I have actual EXPERIENCE with high HP 951.

With your engine, you might really be making serious power, and if you use that Callaway manifold close to the block, that will give you more torque earlier.
Old 08-24-2006, 08:22 AM
Charlie944
Rennlist Member

Good morning ST! I PM'd Tconn (Tim) because I seen he had a Bronze ceramic disc and he said he got it from clutchnet.com. I believe Jimbo got his from Patrick motorsports. My Feramic disk is still good and has plenty of thickness left and I spent $375 for disc alone....I would really love to use it again. Do you see or know of any reason why this would be detrimental and cause me to have to do this clutch job yet again. I have heard the Feramic is kinder on the street versus ceramics yet has a coefficient of friction of 0.7. This of course will be with KEP.
Interesting your Fidanza showed similar wear patterns...why do you think it wears like that?
TIA!
Old 08-24-2006, 08:26 AM
Charlie944
Rennlist Member

I do use the Callaway exhaust manifold so the torque is always just a snap of the throttle away...I hope to get it dynoed when I am done with all these clutch issues.
Thank you all for your help!
Old 08-24-2006, 08:29 AM
special tool
Banned

Originally Posted by Charlie944
Good morning ST! I PM'd Tconn (Tim) because I seen he had a Bronze ceramic disc and he said he got it from clutchnet.com. I believe Jimbo got his from Patrick motorsports. My Feramic disk is still good and has plenty of thickness left and I spent $375 for disc alone....I would really love to use it again. Do you see or know of any reason why this would be detrimental and cause me to have to do this clutch job yet again. I have heard the Feramic is kinder on the street versus ceramics yet has a coefficient of friction of 0.7. This of course will be with KEP.
Interesting your Fidanza showed similar wear patterns...why do you think it wears like that?
TIA!
Please do yourself a favor and get the bronze metal - I have had good results from 3 VERY VERY high HP 951's with it - one of which probably makes more torque than my car.
Its too much work to do again - we know for sure now that the bronze/copper-ceramic disks are able to deal withh the 951 engine characteristics.

Also - I am sure you know that you need to check 1000 times that nothing is leaking on your disk.
Old 08-24-2006, 08:38 AM
Charlie944
Rennlist Member

Thanks again for the quick reply! I will contact Andy over at South Bend Clutch Co. who I have been dealing with and bought the disc from about getting different material rivited on. He has been great to deal with!
I am going to replace the rear main just because I have the clutch out and due to I see a little dribble of oil underneath it. Never any drops on the floor. And the disc always looked dry.

Quick Reply: Anyone ever warp their Fidanza?