Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Custom/DIY spark plug wire kits or sources? For wasted spark coilpacks.

Old 08-18-2006, 08:48 PM
dand86951
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try clewett.com.
Old 08-18-2006, 10:27 PM
Glider
Instructor

I do not know anything about wasted spark installation. I do have my engine out of my car. Is there something that I would need to do to prepare for a WS setup before the engine is installed
Old 08-19-2006, 01:24 AM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Glider
I do not know anything about wasted spark installation. I do have my engine out of my car. Is there something that I would need to do to prepare for a WS setup before the engine is installed
A standalone engine management system, or a bunch of Vitesse stuff. Im using MegaSquirt.
Old 08-19-2006, 01:25 AM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Charlie944
Hey Brian! I called Magnecor and had them whip a custom set of R-100 10mm race wires with GM DIS 90deg ends and the their Porsche 944 spark plug ends. I just had to give them my custom wire lengths. They were $125.99. Their KV-85 (8.5mm) will be less expensive and it is the same wire just has less silicone jacketing.
Good to hear! Price isnt overkill either. I spent more on 4 gallons of coolant
Old 08-19-2006, 01:26 AM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chris White
Don't need a part number - call Magnacore and just ask for a set of 944 wires that will fit the tec3 coil pack. They know this set up well!!
With the tec3 ignition contol there is enough power that i have never worried about plug wires much. I think that it would work with pipe leaners strung together

Chris White
Thanks for the info! Do you have any specs on the coilpacks themselves? Im trying to calculate the dwell for the MS.
Old 08-19-2006, 09:13 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by theedge
Thanks for the info! Do you have any specs on the coilpacks themselves? Im trying to calculate the dwell for the MS.
Not sure what I can tell you – the Tec3 ignition system is a little (OK a lot) different than most. It calculates dwell based on rpm and load. I don’t know what the electronics are that are buried in the base of the tec3 coil pack. The coils them selves are GM style units.
Old 08-19-2006, 11:51 AM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Not sure what I can tell you – the Tec3 ignition system is a little (OK a lot) different than most. It calculates dwell based on rpm and load. I don’t know what the electronics are that are buried in the base of the tec3 coil pack. The coils them selves are GM style units.
Hmmm ok. I dont THINK there is any eletronics, due to the fact that my coil drivers went Lucas on themselves last night. To do that takes 7.5 amps and too much dwell, and I left dwell at 4ms. I suspect it has to be around 2-2.5ms. Im pretty sure that if there was circuitry or ignitors of some sort in the base, my coil drivers would have kept their smoke, and the ones in the base failed.

Ill test again today and see.
Old 08-19-2006, 12:58 PM
Raceboy
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

3ms should be fine.
Old 08-19-2006, 01:39 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Raceboy
3ms should be fine.
Nope, the drivers werent happy there either. Ive tried 1.5, 2, 2.5, and 3. All resulted in similar heating up of the coil drivers along with a fading spark as they heated up. Im going to post on the MS forums now and see what ideas they have. Ill also try to dig up a proper resistor so I can see whats going on using my scope.

However, heres a pic that Chris might enjoy. I accidentally noticed they could do this, so I removed the test wires and ran it for a second like this to take a pic. True, spark length etc isnt a true measure of coil pack performance apparently, but its damn cool to see and it backs up the sticker on the coilpack

Old 08-19-2006, 05:39 PM
TT
Racer

You should be able to run the coil with 5msec dwell most of the time dropping down to 2-3msec at higher rpm. What kind of drivers are you using for the coils?
Old 08-19-2006, 05:39 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by theedge
Nope, the drivers werent happy there either. Ive tried 1.5, 2, 2.5, and 3. All resulted in similar heating up of the coil drivers along with a fading spark as they heated up. Im going to post on the MS forums now and see what ideas they have. Ill also try to dig up a proper resistor so I can see whats going on using my scope.

However, heres a pic that Chris might enjoy. I accidentally noticed they could do this, so I removed the test wires and ran it for a second like this to take a pic. True, spark length etc isnt a true measure of coil pack performance apparently, but its damn cool to see and it backs up the sticker on the coilpack

I use that as a coil pack test - you can see it from the drivers seat!!
Old 08-19-2006, 07:08 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

For the curious people, I think I found the (or a) issue. It seems my MegaSquirt is putting out 30ms+dwell long ignition pulses intermittently along with proper length pulses. This means is putting out several normal sparks, strong spark, several normal sparks over and over. That then puts the VB921s (the coil driver ICs, TT) into current limit mode for 30ms or more. Current limit kicks in at around 7 amps. They get real hot real fast when this is happening.

Im trying to figure out whats up with the 30ms long pulses.
Old 08-19-2006, 07:09 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

I use that as a coil pack test - you can see it from the drivers seat!!
Nothing like the smell of fresh ozone in the morning
Old 08-20-2006, 01:16 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Problem solved!!! Config error on my part
Old 08-20-2006, 05:39 PM
OZ951
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I use a Tec coil pack with stock Beru wires and connectors, they work fine and you can solve the seal or looseness by placing an appropriately sized electrical grommet over the post (ie it sits between the post and the boot of the plug wire). It's a $2 solution that works well.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Custom/DIY spark plug wire kits or sources? For wasted spark coilpacks.