441.9 bhp 944 Turbo S

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2006, 07:48 AM
promax_motorsport
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 441.9 bhp 944 Turbo S

Hi All,

If anybody is interested in another 944 Turbo power house - see details here: http://www.promax.eclipse.co.uk/pmnl200605.pdf

This car recorded 441.9 bhp (on May 18th on a Bosch roller dyno). It then recorded 402bhp on a Dyno Dynamics dyno (May 20th 2006). Shows the difference between different dyno units!

Spec:
2.5 litre Turbo with ProMAX Level 4 Kit (more details here: http://www.promax.uku.co.uk/promaxkit4.htm)

Regards,
Andrew
Old 08-15-2006, 08:19 AM
sweanders
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cool, can you post a dyno sheet and rwhp numbers? How much power were the gains with the intake?

I looked at Lindseys site and could not find any MAP kit, did you use the Wolf 3D?
Old 08-15-2006, 09:03 AM
promax_motorsport
Racer

Originally Posted by sweanders
Cool, can you post a dyno sheet and rwhp numbers? How much power were the gains with the intake?

I looked at Lindseys site and could not find any MAP kit, did you use the Wolf 3D?
Dyno Chart: http://www.cannell3.co.uk/images/Dyn...C7KOE_TQ_2.jpg

Hi,

The intake is the most visible part of the upgrade (by Lindsey as you rigtly pointed out) but is probably not a significant part of the overall power result. We also use the Lindsey Stage 3 head.

The biggest liberator of power was the custom modified exhaust (Level 4 now uses a different custom exhaust system in place of the much modified Fabspeed this car used). The MAP solution is usually seen on BMW cars and is the Alpha N+ and integrates with the standard Motronic DME/KLR combination with custom mapping to suit the car. I have dyno charts at home - but you should be able to see the 402bhp run here:
http://www.cannell3.co.uk/UKL%20C7KOE-2.htm (shows RWP as 348 rwhp). If this car was dyno tested in the USA - it would probably be 500+ I'll get a link to the 441.9bhp chart tomorrow.

This car only has 135psi of compression - hence, we would expect more power with the more usual 145psi. It is mega fast and has all standard internals.

Regards,
Andrew
Old 08-15-2006, 09:47 AM
tedesco
Instructor

"If this car was dyno tested in the USA - it would probably be 500+ "

exactly! From my experience your numbers sound absolutly sensible. My car is modified in a similar way and makes virtulay the same numbers you claim at the same boost. But if you look through the net you will porbably find a lot of almost stock cars making in the range of 300+RWHP which I find quite unbelivable.
Old 08-15-2006, 09:51 AM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally Posted by tedesco
But if you look through the net you will porbably find a lot of almost stock cars making in the range of 300+RWHP which I find quite unbelivable.

Elaborate that statement. How do you define 'mostly stock'? 300rwhp is basic and easily achievable without taking the engine apart.
Old 08-15-2006, 09:57 AM
sweanders
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have participated in dynoing cars in the US and Sweden and those who claim that there is a difference in numbers are probably wrong. In the US people talk about power to the wheels while europeans have a bad habit of guesstimating flywheel numbers.

Andrew, maybe it is not so smart to make fun of US dyno numbers when the same car has a ~40 hp difference in the UK.

Bottom line is that dynos are great tools for tuning but the numbers cannot always be compared directly between dynos.
Old 08-15-2006, 11:00 AM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

"This car recorded 441.9 bhp (on May 18th on a Bosch roller dyno). It then recorded 402bhp on a Dyno Dynamics dyno (May 20th 2006). Shows the difference between different dyno units!"

So each of these would be like comparing a Dynojet and Mustang?
Old 08-15-2006, 11:02 AM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally Posted by toddk911
"This car recorded 441.9 bhp (on May 18th on a Bosch roller dyno). It then recorded 402bhp on a Dyno Dynamics dyno (May 20th 2006). Shows the difference between different dyno units!"

So each of these would be like comparing a Dynojet and Mustang?

I thought that myth was dispelled by Lindsey when they tested the same car within hours on a Mustang and a Dynojet. The numbers were pretty close.
Old 08-15-2006, 11:21 AM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Correct. But that is the only example I have ever seen or heard about where that happened.
Old 08-15-2006, 11:37 AM
promax_motorsport
Racer

Originally Posted by sweanders
I have participated in dynoing cars in the US and Sweden and those who claim that there is a difference in numbers are probably wrong. In the US people talk about power to the wheels while europeans have a bad habit of guesstimating flywheel numbers.

Andrew, maybe it is not so smart to make fun of US dyno numbers when the same car has a ~40 hp difference in the UK.

Bottom line is that dynos are great tools for tuning but the numbers cannot always be compared directly between dynos.
Hi,

Sorry - I didn't mean to make fun of US numbers, I am just making reference to experiences that I have had with power kits that I have already tried from some other suppliers. The numbers just did't show up here. This was on a variety of cars - power being well down on what was claimed by the supplier / manufacturer.

I also appreciate how poorly calibrated dynos can be and how much variance there can be too (as demonstrated by the example I posted above). Ultimately, it is hard to prove and is only a theory based on experience.

As an example, the Big Red car made 347 rear wheel HP. This is running very similar kit to some other big power cars (and the same level of boost, 1.5bar) - the difference being that there are claims of 450+ rear wheel HP for these cars! This could be a combination of differences; namely dyno calibration or the unit of measurement. Whatever it is, there do seem to be quite substantial differences. If I only I could bring Big Red to a trusted USA dyno to test. It's also possible that the UK dyno's could be seriously under reading.

What do you all think?

Regards,
Andrew

Last edited by promax_motorsport; 08-15-2006 at 12:01 PM.
Old 08-15-2006, 11:49 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Nice. What is exactly included in the package?

What are the rwhp numbers on the different runs? Did the dyno calculate the loss or did you use a fixed value to recalculate?

Some Bosch rollers take into account a driveline loss while the Dyno Dynamics show the rwhp numbers. It would make sense in this case since it is roughly a 10% difference wich is reasonable for a 951 at this power level.
Old 08-15-2006, 11:50 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

More important... time to capture a 100-200 km/h run

Quick Reply: 441.9 bhp 944 Turbo S