Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2006, 06:06 PM
tmayst
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust

I'm just bought a 88 944 turbo and I'm looking to turn it into a dedicated track car.....in stages. Looking for advice on an exhaust system...not doing headers yet....looking for most gains possible! Any ideas?
Old 08-14-2006, 06:45 PM
95Juan
Mexican Ambassador
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

if you live somewhere that doesnt have **** smog regs, ditch the cat.

if you do, just save the cat and weld it in when it's smog time.

chips, better capacity FPR, boost controller, and a free flowing exhaust will complement each other well.

a good tune up will go a long way, though....
Old 08-14-2006, 07:38 PM
tmayst
AutoX

Thanks for the advice....I'm looking for the name of a company..I know of Billy Boat, looking for other companies to check out.....Does any one have good things to say about their systems?
Old 08-14-2006, 07:46 PM
smarlow2
Advanced

I have both a B&B cat back and a test pipe on my 89 turbo and the quality and workmanship on both is extremely good. I have all of the mods Juan suggested, including Vitesse AFM, 3 bar pressure regulator and manual boost control, plus a Tial 38mm dual port wastegate. Those mods would probably give you the biggest gains for the money and I would do them before worrying about the exhaust. When I took the cat off and put on the test pipe the car did seem to breathe a little better but I did not notice any startling gains in performance (except for the sound - much better!). That may be because the B & B cat back was so good that I didn't get that big of a gain when I switched out to the test pipe.
Old 08-14-2006, 07:58 PM
tmayst
AutoX

I used to track my S4....until I bought this car.....I've never heard the "test pipe" I don’t want to sound dumb, but, is the test pipe the equivalent of a downpipes? I'll have to keep the cat on because I drive it to and from the track....second part, any other manufacturer besides B&B?
Old 08-14-2006, 07:59 PM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Speed Force Racing, hands down!
Old 08-14-2006, 08:13 PM
buxton
Racer

Replace the cat with a test pipe to start with your exhaust modifications. I just took out my cat and the difference was noticable. Not so much in a huge hp increase although it was noticable but the power comes on earlier. Plus is does sound much better.
Old 08-14-2006, 08:16 PM
smarlow2
Advanced

A test pipe has a straight piece of exhause pipe where the cat would be. B & B is the only aftermarket exhaust I have use, so you will have to look to the more experienced Rennlisters for thier opinions on other manufacturers.
Old 08-14-2006, 08:22 PM
TRACKIN951
Burning Brakes

You have Speed force racing , lindsey racing , B&B.

Lindsey will probably be your least expensive, SFR best qaulity from what ive heard
Old 08-14-2006, 08:49 PM
JE_951
Pro

I have the B&B and love it. Its not too loud but is a deffinate improvement over stock sound. Fairly low but healthy sound. A friend of mine has a full 3" with borla (which is what lindsey is mostly using) on hiw 944 n/a and his is much louder. Too ricey IMO. I cant get a vid of the car/sound if you want, just pm me.

I didnt have a stock exhaust on before it (bought the car with the b&b) so i cant tell you number's or if it made a huge improvement, but im sure it did.

As stated above, SFR will most likely ahve better build quality but lindsey or B&B may be a better bet if you are on somewhat of a budget. All 3 will give you improvements.
Old 08-14-2006, 09:00 PM
jgporsche
Drifting

3" exhaust, no cat, no muffler, wastegate dumped to atmosphere. The BEST exhaust!!!
Old 08-14-2006, 10:39 PM
Blueman33
Pro

A 'test pipe' is straight pipe replacing the cat. Bursch test pipe is $300 i think and $150 on ebay sometime. It's the lower end, but does the trick.

If you are progressing in stages and the car is stock, the exhaust is definitely NOT the first thing to change to get a dedicated track car.

Chips and boost controller would be a better place to start than exhaust, IMO

A boost controller and a set of Vitesse chips will do way more for power than any exhaust system and for much less $$$.

Then suspension and maybe a replacement oil cooler or aux oil cooler, brakes, oil pan baffle, belts, .....there are a lot of things that would help you go around a track faster and safer than exhaust upgrade. There are a lot of guys who could put you on track..........pun intended....if you posted an 'order of mods' question.

good luck and welcome to the group
Old 08-15-2006, 01:02 PM
tmayst
AutoX

The exhaust is dead on my car..there is no tip...it rusted off. So I have to replace it to make sure I can pass emission tests and not get pulled over on the street. I realize it's not the most important mod to do, but it's a necessary one for me at this time. That's why I'm looking into what will be the best.....consensus seems to be SFR is the best....anyone argue that?
Old 08-16-2006, 02:29 AM
HIGHBOOST
Pro

For me, Hands Down, you should get one custom fabricated. Go to a well respected exhuast facility, and you can tell them EXACTLY what you want. If you want crush bent or madrel bends, WG dump etc. I have a full 3" from downpipe back w/no cat. and WG dump along w/race magnum bullit muffler. I only paid $405
Old 08-16-2006, 04:22 AM
2bridges
Drifting

$405 HUH......

In my part of the country you can't get any exhaust shop to touch an exhaust with no cat for any price.... Last attemp the guy told me $50,500.00 ..... 50K was the fine he has to pay if caught.

I built my own exhaust for a few cars... napa actually has mandrel bent 3" in stock, 45s, 90s, etc.
They are very pricey $25ish per bend, but then you just weld up exactly what you want. Last one I built cost me <$300 for full 3" dual exhaust all mandrel bends

Quick Reply: Exhaust