Custom header panel Ideas

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2006, 02:28 AM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TRP951
i want to pick up a second hood for my 951 and try to vent it like the 968 this coming winter
Tim, you need to come over to my house then. I bet you'll like what I'm working on with my spare hood
Old 08-15-2006, 09:28 AM
tedesco
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you mentioned that there are a few people around that also proved that a vented nose panel improved intercooler efficiency. Do you have any link to the tests made? Just recently I made some tests myself and found that (at least the panle I used) was bad for intercooler efficiency. The tests were done as direct back to backs. I also belive that there was little that could go wrong with the tests because I just taped the additional vent and later removed it to get the difference. Diriving was done on the same road. I think I called the thread "stock intercooler efficiency".
Old 08-15-2006, 01:52 PM
M Danger
Three Wheelin'

You do have to have ducting and seal it off as well as possible. with out ducting it probably would be worse
Old 08-15-2006, 02:21 PM
tedesco
Instructor

Had some ducting and that even favoured the nose panel because it resticted (stock) air flow once the vent was closed. Still closing the vent was positive. Best ducting does not help if the air does not want to go in (but out).
Look at the GT3RS: It has an opening directly above the fender that looks very similar to the header panel of the 944 we are talking about but on the GT3 this opening is used to get some cooing air OUT. In this area of the front you will see low pressure. It creates lift and this is why an opening in this place is bad as cooling intake but can be use to reduce lift if you can exit flow there.

Once again: Where did you get your data? Reason for me to ask is that I belive a lot of people repeat what they once heard but very few realy do some tests.
Old 08-15-2006, 03:11 PM
testarossa_td
Race Car

I always liked this setup....

http://www.autoanalyser.com/intercooler-duct.jpg

http://www.autoanalyser.com/racing/images2005.html
Old 08-15-2006, 04:34 PM
M Danger
Three Wheelin'

Ive been thinking about what I want to do to this car for a long time, since Porsche Fans, and have read several accounts of people who have done temp testing with positive results, I just remember the info I need. I believe one of them was TurboTim????
im sure you can do a search here and find some info.
The 931 had these vents for engine cooling, along with several other cars in a similar positition.

Quick Reply: Custom header panel Ideas