Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Gnarly vaccum leaks

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 09:59 PM
chapstic951
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Gnarly vaccum leaks

I just built my self a pressure testing aparatus ala el cheap-o way to go-o. It is a PVC end cap and copper fitting for my air compressor. Ferdinand Porsche would be proud.

Anyhow, on to my problem. After putting 10-psi to the system to the IC opposite the TB, I found a considerable number of leaks. The most notable being the brake boost lines across the back of the firewall and DV. The brake boost line is fixed and the DV is better, I need to add a second clap to that one.

There are two spots I need guidance on. The first being where the intake runners meet up with the cylinder head. I have all the bolts torqued to spec and there is still a slight hiss. Is there a sealant recommend to ensure a tight seal?

Secondly, should I be hearing the air pressure being relased out of the exhaust pipe?
Old 08-10-2006, 10:12 PM
Andial951
Legend Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

do you have a pic of your pressure tester?
Old 08-10-2006, 10:21 PM
smac951
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm interested in that apparatus also.
Old 08-10-2006, 10:47 PM
TRACKIN951
Burning Brakes

They are simple to make. A PVC end cap, drill a whole in it and screw in a "Valve stem" or something. Question though, how do you know what you are pressurizing it too? Do you have a gauge on your air compresser?
Old 08-11-2006, 12:17 AM
PuttingThePoorBackInPorsche
Advanced

How does one hear over an air compressor for leaks?
Old 08-11-2006, 01:39 AM
Giantman
Racer

chapstic951 can you please post pics of your device and where you placed on the car? I have been wanting to test for leaks myself but have no idea where to start

Thanks
Old 08-11-2006, 01:41 AM
Cra$h
Instructor

Put this in the end of the hose that connects to the output of the turbo.

Cut a groove in the cap so it won't take your eye out when you pressurize it to 20psi. The groove gives the rubber from the hose something to grab onto. total cost, $3.50. (Ideally, pressurizing the turbo itself would be useful too, but trust me, you'll like find plenty of leaks this way.)

EDIT: removed irrelevant comments
Attached Images   

Last edited by Cra$h; 10-17-2006 at 02:20 PM.
Old 08-11-2006, 01:53 AM
Cra$h
Instructor

Originally Posted by chapstic951
There are two spots I need guidance on. The first being where the intake runners meet up with the cylinder head. I have all the bolts torqued to spec and there is still a slight hiss. Is there a sealant recommend to ensure a tight seal?
have you had the manifold off? did you re-use the gaskets?
Secondly, should I be hearing the air pressure being relased out of the exhaust pipe?
did you put a cap over it? no? then yes.
Old 08-11-2006, 01:58 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

Sealant should not be needed on the intake gaskets. Make sure the mating surfaces are clean, and always use new gaskets. If it still leaks after that, then check that the head and intake mating surfaces are flat and damage-free.

Hissing out the exhaust just means the cam is at an overlap part in one or more cylinders -- i.e., both the intake and exhaust valves are open.
Old 08-11-2006, 11:51 AM
chapstic951
Pro

Crash and Tom, they are new gaskets, but since I want to go under the manifold to double check my hose claps on the ICV and CV I will check to see that the intake and cylinder head are flat.

Regarding the hook up. I removed the IC pipe from the turbo to IC and put the PVC cap in the IC side. My air compressor has a regulator for the pressure and I set it down to 10psi. After connecting the hose to the quick release barb I immediatly heard leaks. So many little ones, it is difficult to here exactly where they are. Next step is to get a spray bottle with soapy water and spray, looking for bubbles.

Have any of you had problems with leaks with a billet DV? I cannot crank the claps down enought to stop that leak. I can actually feel it on my hand it is so bad.
Old 08-11-2006, 11:56 AM
chapstic951
Pro

Originally Posted by PuttingThePoorBackInPorsche
How does one hear over an air compressor for leaks?
One of two ways. 1) Get a long hose and either keep the car outside and close the garage or put the compressor outside. 2) Let the compressor fill up with air, then unplug it so it does not try to retain the tank. @ 10psi, my 20-gallon tank hold the charge for a while with slight leaks.
Old 08-11-2006, 11:58 AM
Andial951
Legend Killer
Rennlist Member

Will putting the PVC cap in the IC side reveal all leaks or is there another place where the PVC cap shoudl be placed and the system presuurized? I'm going to try this technique this weekend........I just know there is going to be hissing coming from all over the place.....lol
Old 08-11-2006, 12:00 PM
Andial951
Legend Killer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chapstic951
One of two ways. 1) Get a long hose and either keep the car outside and close the garage or put the compressor outside. 2) Let the compressor fill up with air, then unplug it so it does not try to retain the tank. @ 10psi, my 20-gallon tank hold the charge for a while with slight leaks.
I only have one of those small compressors to inflate tires.....will this be sufficient......or as a last resort could I use a bike pump like the ones kids use to inflate their bike tires?
Old 08-11-2006, 12:46 PM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

PHP Code:
How does one hear over an air compressor for leaks
If the compressor can't stop long enough to SEE the leaks, you might want to have it towed to the mechanic's garage, or get a bigger compressor.
Old 08-11-2006, 12:55 PM
chapstic951
Pro

Originally Posted by Andial951
I only have one of those small compressors to inflate tires.....will this be sufficient......or as a last resort could I use a bike pump like the ones kids use to inflate their bike tires?
In my case the leaks were pretty obvious, but when the compressor kicked on, it did make hard to hear. You may want to consider what ibkevin said and take it somewhere that has a larger compressor. Alternatively you can go and buy a 25-foot hose and put the compressor far enough away to where the motor isn't as audible.

You may want to get one of those hand held pressure control handles to make sure you are not blasting the engine with more than 20-psi. if you tire compressor does not have an adjustable regulator.

The other way to note leaks is to use a spray bottle with some soap. Air leaks with soap makes bubbles.

Quick Reply: Gnarly vaccum leaks