Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

danger of fuel pressure gauge!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 05:32 PM
tedesco
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default danger of fuel pressure gauge!!

Just came back from a blast around the block doing some measurements. When I opened the hood I imidiatly noticed a smell of fuel. Quickly I could trace the reason for that: The fule pressure gauge was leaking and fuel was dropping down onto the engine! I was lucky doing just a short stint otherwise there might have been the danger of an engine fire.

The fuel gauge was almost new and without any contact to other parts (was the one usualy mounted at the front of the fuel rail). After that I strongly reccomend to use those gauges ONLY for tuning purpose and remove it as soon as the work is done. Would be interested if somebody else made the same experience.
Old 08-10-2006, 05:40 PM
Frank@Work
Pro

Received 92 Likes on 50 Posts

I had exactly the same experience with a brand new fuel pressure gauge!
Old 08-10-2006, 05:40 PM
testarossa_td
Race Car

Thanks...any pics of which type you used etc...
Old 08-10-2006, 06:21 PM
por4ever
Instructor

Did you wrap the threads with teflon tape? That's how mine is and it doesn't leak. However I know it is weeping a little since the fuel rail has a slight pink stain around the nut. I'll rewrap it and see if that works. What about some sort of gasket sealing stuff? Would that stand up to the fuel?
Old 08-10-2006, 06:48 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Make sure the teflon tape has "fuel or gas" use on it. Another alternative is Gasoila, which is the non hardening stuff that you see on fueling nozzles.
Old 08-10-2006, 08:32 PM
Andial951
Legend Killer
Rennlist Member

I have had mine on for months with no problem. Which gauge are you using and did u apply the teflon tape?
Old 08-10-2006, 09:02 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

I have a VDO for over a year, no leak. Before, I had an autopwer, the diaphram blew out almost right away with the same results.
Old 08-10-2006, 10:06 PM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

You cannot leave a fuel pressure gauge installed on the fuel rail, it will fail under the vibrations.

Sam
Old 08-10-2006, 10:27 PM
Edman951
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Fuel pressure gauges sometime fail from vibrations.
Best safe solution is a good quality crimped braided hose so you mount the gauge remotely.
Or just don't leave it on like Sam said.
Specially on our car where the gauge may hit the hood. Depending on the size of the gauge and the conditions of the motor mounts.
Old 08-11-2006, 01:01 AM
jy951
Instructor

Originally Posted by tedesco
Just came back from a blast around the block doing some measurements. When I opened the hood I imidiatly noticed a smell of fuel. Quickly I could trace the reason for that: The fule pressure gauge was leaking and fuel was dropping down onto the engine! I was lucky doing just a short stint otherwise there might have been the danger of an engine fire.

The fuel gauge was almost new and without any contact to other parts (was the one usualy mounted at the front of the fuel rail). After that I strongly reccomend to use those gauges ONLY for tuning purpose and remove it as soon as the work is done. Would be interested if somebody else made the same experience.
Dude,

Just buy yourself a nice "dis-connect" gauge. Why have a gauge mounted to the fuel rail? I take my pressure then disconnect the gauge after I've set it. No problems with fuel leaks, etc. and a MUCH SAFER alternative.

Old 08-11-2006, 01:24 AM
DFASTEST951
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Great, I've had mine on my motor for over five years and it's getting hard to read. No problems but now I think you guys just jinxed me...
Old 08-11-2006, 01:53 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

I had a hand-tool fuel pressure tester break on me once while testing the pressure. The gauge face filled with fuel and then started leaking while I was holding it and the engine was running. I pretty much ruled out an on-board gauge at that moment.
Old 08-11-2006, 04:01 AM
tedesco
Instructor

Some points to clearify:
-it is not the thread but the gauge that is leaking
-the gauge was about 1/3 filled with fuel when I found it leaking
-think it is an autopower, not quite shure
-gauge was working fine for about 1/2 year
-certainly a hand held gauge would avoid the danger of leakage but first I just were not aware about the danger and now I would leave it mounted only for adjustments

I do not wnat to frighten anyone but to mention that I see a certain risk of useing a fuel mounted gauge permanently mounted. Some might like just the looks of it but than be aware what might happen if it lets go...
My decision is clear now.

Quick Reply: danger of fuel pressure gauge!!