Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

200 lb Weltmeister Springs on Stock Struts. Bad Idea?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2006, 10:41 AM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts
Question 200 lb Weltmeister Springs on Stock Struts. Bad Idea?

My car is an '86 951, it currently has 31K miles. The PO installed 200 lb Weltmeister springs on the stock struts in 1992 (7K miles ago). The car handles great, I have no suspension problems.

However, as far as I know lowering the car only with springs is not good for the shocks. And even though I have no problems just yet I might in the future. Can anyone suggest what struts I should buy? The car is only used on weekends and will see AutoX and road course events a few times a year.

Pic for views:

Old 08-03-2006, 11:51 AM
TheRealLefty
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

200# Welts are great springs and the lowering involved should not create any problems with the struts. Yellow Koni's are solid choices for replacement inserts. I've used the 200# Welts on my NA for three years now and they've been great.

Depending on how much street use the car will see, you might consider even stiffer springs at some point, but be alert to the need for balanced stiffness between the nose and tail. Front springs are cheap and tempting but at some point the tail will need either torsion bars or coil-overs to pace with the increased stiffness in the front...or the car will pick up increased understeer...and suspension work in the tail of 944/951 is a true PITA.

Quick Reply: 200 lb Weltmeister Springs on Stock Struts. Bad Idea?