Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

T04E install questions... what next...

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2006, 07:51 AM
PuttingThePoorBackInPorsche
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For a dedicated track-only car I can understand no a/c. For a street car, who gives a rat's **** about 30 pounds? Go on a diet and lose 30 pounds or run with five fewer gallons of fuel. There's your 30 pounds. The whole "well-I-guess-it-doesn't-work-so-I'll-rationalize-my-laziness-by-saying-it's-weight-savings" thing is pretty weak.

I just don't see the logic in a street car - particularly a Porsche - being a sweltering inferno simply because the owner is too lazy (or too cheap) to repair things properly before commencing with performance upgrades.

Like I said, my car is plenty fast, modded and everything (including a/c) works just fine. Yes, it can be done.
Old 07-30-2006, 02:39 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by Luis de Prat
Tom, can you be any more resourceful? Your handiness with repairs on these cars never ceases to amaze me. Kudos to your long-time contribution to these forums. BTW your door panel removal pics and hood shock replacement write-up helped me lots. Thanks!
Thanks Luis! I've taken more than I've given here, but always glad when I can help someone get something done. Having spent years re-inventing wheels in the pre-Internet days, I'm still in awe of the fact that we now have instant access to so much info and personal experience.
Old 07-30-2006, 02:49 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PuttingThePoorBackInPorsche
For a dedicated track-only car I can understand no a/c. For a street car, who gives a rat's **** about 30 pounds? Go on a diet and lose 30 pounds or run with five fewer gallons of fuel. There's your 30 pounds. The whole "well-I-guess-it-doesn't-work-so-I'll-rationalize-my-laziness-by-saying-it's-weight-savings" thing is pretty weak.

I just don't see the logic in a street car - particularly a Porsche - being a sweltering inferno simply because the owner is too lazy (or too cheap) to repair things properly before commencing with performance upgrades.

Like I said, my car is plenty fast, modded and everything (including a/c) works just fine. Yes, it can be done.
Not all of us live where it gets 100+F, so can the crap. This isnt a "Hot areas of the USA only" forum. And some of us would rather have the roof off and the windows down when it is hot anyway.
Old 07-30-2006, 03:02 PM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

PHP Code:
Having spent years re-inventing wheels in the pre-Internet daysI'm still in awe of the fact that we now have instant access to so much info and personal experience. 
I preach this ALL the time, of course the young guys give me funny looks.
That was also back when records skipped...

On topic-

How no one has created a flexible solution to universalize the turbo water discharge piping??? Crap, was I thinking out loud again?
Old 07-30-2006, 05:39 PM
PuttingThePoorBackInPorsche
Advanced

The defrost works a helluva lot better with a working a/c compressor to remove moisture/humidity from the air as well, so this logic doesn't just apply to those in "100+ climates".
Old 07-30-2006, 08:46 PM
hally
Rennlist Member

i've got the alternator wiring mod to cater for the 3 inch inlet. Now i'm starting to flirt with the idea of weight reduction and a/c delete Might give it one more summer and decide then..
Old 07-31-2006, 08:31 AM
J Chen
Drifting

ibkevin,
Better solution, go hunt for a Nissan Sentra Alternator. It's rated
at 95 amps & is much smaller but you'll have to remove your
alternator to compare the mounting lugs as I hear there are
a few variation of the Nissan alternator. Don't ask me for the
part no. cause it's not listed on the one that I have.
Old 07-31-2006, 06:45 PM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks J, I'll add that to my bag of tricks. Hopefully the hump hose does the job.

Suggestions what to do with the stock oil supply hose that is about .5" too long?

Quick Reply: T04E install questions... what next...