Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

WTB - dual port or clubgate?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2006, 03:31 PM
maximus951
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WTB - dual port or clubgate?

I want to use the stock CV but maintain whatever max boost the LR turbo-S chips will allow. Any opinions on either setup? Also, can you run a dual port without an MBC?
Old 07-28-2006, 04:39 PM
RK951
Rennlist Member

Get the dual port wastegate. You can always use it just like a Clubgate and it has a stiffer spring. Whether you can use the wastegate with the CV installed depends upon the chips you are using so consult with the vendor.
Old 07-28-2006, 04:57 PM
maximus951
Advanced

What do you do with the control port? Block or vent?

Thanks!
Old 07-28-2006, 05:08 PM
RK951
Rennlist Member

If you are planning on using it in single port mode you vent the side port to atmosphere. The Clubgate is exactly the same as the dual port version except that the dual port version has a stiffer spring. The Clubgate comes installed/includes a fitting for the side port that has a 1/8in hole for venting to air. You could just an easily install a regular fitting in a dual port version and have the same result with a stiffer spring which is exactly what I'm currently doing.
Old 08-04-2006, 12:28 PM
maximus951
Advanced

Pulled the trigger on the LDP WG - very nice looking piece! Swapped parts Tuesday morning and immediately noticed that I was boosting up to 20PSI (hard to miss with wheelspin in 3rd gear) anyway, realized that the LBE was probably causing the spike so I took it out to allow full signal to the CV. In that configuration, I'm only getting 12psi - hmmm. Bad CV? Put the LBE back in and adjusted it back to the stock position but I'm still getting spikes to 18psi. I had the head O-ringed in march but that's still way too much boost for lindsey chips and a 3 bar fpr. I'm ready to test the CV with a new part this weekend. How do you have yours setup? Any ideas on the boost spike?
Thanks!
Old 08-04-2006, 01:06 PM
RK951
Rennlist Member

We replaced the stock wastegate with the LR DP version, side port is vented to air as mentioned above. My chips control boost pressure which is set at 15psi, no boost controller or boost enhancer required. It works quite well. I have a day scheduled for dyno in two weeks which should be interesting.
Old 08-04-2006, 01:33 PM
951North
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RK951
I replaced the stock wastegate with the LR DP version, side port is vented to air as mentioned above. My chips control boost pressure which is set at 15psi, no boost controller or boost enhancer required. It works quite well. I have a day scheduled at the dyno in two weeks which should be interesting.
How can your chips control boost pressure? there has to be some mechanical device for that? Pressure regulator (MBC) or solonoid (EBC). Of course you could use just the spring in the wastegate could you not, which in the case of the LR DP WG is 15 psi, correct?

on the spiking thing, isn't there some sort of relief hole (really tiny) in the LBE if it were clogged I'd expect it to spike.
Old 08-04-2006, 01:52 PM
maximus951
Advanced

The KLR controls boost pressure via the cycling valve - if knock is detected, the DME can retard timing and the KLR signals the CV send more pressure to the WG which bleeds or limits max boost. My problem is with the stock cycling valve and the DP WG in single port mode, I'm only seeing 12 PSI. Does this sound like a bad CV? I'll test it using a new CV and I plan on installing the Lindsey Venturi delete kit while I'm in there.
Old 08-04-2006, 02:04 PM
RK951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 951North
How can your chips control boost pressure? there has to be some mechanical device for that? Pressure regulator (MBC) or solonoid (EBC). Of course you could use just the spring in the wastegate could you not, which in the case of the LR DP WG is 15 psi, correct?

on the spiking thing, isn't there some sort of relief hole (really tiny) in the LBE if it were clogged I'd expect it to spike.
I assure you there is no external MBC or EBC installed in my car. My DME/KLR chips control boost pressure just like the factory ones do except that the boost pressure is raised from ~11psi to ~15psi. The improvement was quite obvious and we installed a boost gauge to confirm the boost pressure is consistent. There are lots of ways to improve your car, I thought this was the most elegant solution for a street car.
Old 08-04-2006, 02:24 PM
Dave951
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RK951
I assure you there is no external MBC or EBC installed in my car. My DME/KLR chips control boost pressure just like the factory ones do except that the boost pressure is raised from ~11psi to ~15psi. The improvement was quite obvious and we installed a boost gauge to confirm the boost pressure is consistent. There are lots of ways to improve your car, I thought this was the most elegant solution for a street car.
In other words the stock cycling valve is doing the boost control.
Old 08-04-2006, 02:26 PM
RK951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dave951
In other words the stock cycling valve is doing the boost control.
Yes, thank you. I'm also guessing the stiffer spring in the wastegate contibutes.

Quick Reply: WTB - dual port or clubgate?