Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

951 EURO FOG RACING DRIVING LIGHTS

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2006, 08:28 AM
sweanders
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Doesn't seem as serious as I would expect from a Rennlist sponsor (which the seller is):

"Just makes sure that you are moving along at a good clip with a 100-watt bulb on as they heat up the housings. Don't shine them while being parked!!!!"

They seem to be the basic fog + help beam for the headligths and there is nothing fancy about them. Standard equipment really.
Old 07-27-2006, 09:44 AM
LFA951
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Who said there was anything fancy? The high wattage replaces the standard 55 watts of the pop ups, making a lower beam without sacrificing aerodynamics through the fog lights...
Old 07-27-2006, 09:52 AM
sweanders
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The lights in the "euro" lower lights are used in combination with the high beams and are distance lights with a very narrow light pattern. If you want to improve your low beams get rid of the US DOT lights and put pop-up lights from a "euro" car instead.

The fog lights are useless since they only light up a meter or so in front of the car. I can't understand what they have to do with anything.
Old 07-27-2006, 10:27 AM
ninefiveone
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts

PLEASE don't use euro driving/fog lights as a replacement for the stock headlamps.

A light is more than wattage.

You're going to have the wrong light pattern with either the driving or the fog lamps. As sweanders notes, you won't light anything beyond a meter with the fogs, and with the driving lights you'll have narrow beams blasting down the road that blind oncoming traffic, and don't have the right beam pattern to show you the sides of the road well.

Sacrificing aerodynamics with the stock headlights? Are you regularly driving around at 150+mph? Trying to break a speed record?

As it is, the beam position at the fogs/driving lights is too low but if you insist on this, then at least replace the lights behind the lens with a proper light like MPD47 did.

Yes the euro fogs are lights but that doesn't make them headlights.
Old 07-27-2006, 11:20 AM
EdC
Pro

Don't try to dissuade him. He knows what he wants. They look cool, and he can tell his Florida buddies that he has genuine EURO FOG RACING DRIVING LIGHTS, especially the racing label. You are trying to talk function to a person who makes tire buying decisions on the looks of a black sidewall. For that reason he is apparently not interested in the mere driving/fog light sold at various vendors, many sponsers here, for under $200 @. Neither is he intersted in upgracing the popups to give better performance, which they undoudtedly can be upgraded. (Search Iceshark for headlight upgrade info) He will now come back and argue that these racing lights definitely do exist because they are on EBay. Can't argue with that.
Old 07-27-2006, 11:25 AM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 93 Likes on 55 Posts

I installed the euro fog and deleted my pop up's, my euro fog's have both the distance lights, just like the pop up lights and the normal fog lights. I will take a picture tonight to show you guys.
Old 07-27-2006, 11:32 AM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 93 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by LFA951
To all those who are not familiar with the terminology or know what they are here is your answer...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWA%3AIT

Dude, don't be dumb that's the seller's definition the correct name is "EURO FOG LIGHTS" the racing is BS from the seller.
Old 07-27-2006, 12:01 PM
baldheadracing
Instructor

I found using the 928 fog/driving lights gives a much better beam pattern than the (IMHO) useless factory SAE-spec fogs. However, even if carefully aimed, they will annoy oncoming traffic on hills and such.

However, I have the basic inexpensive Bosch H4 conversion (not legal in the US) on the main headlights, and even with stock wattage H4 bulbs, the visibility is sooo much better than the stock US halogens - especially on high beam. In fact, the high beams work so well that I don't ever use the driving light part of the fog/driving lights.
Old 07-27-2006, 12:10 PM
Ian Carr
That Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ST you are on vacation get off the computer
Old 07-27-2006, 12:10 PM
ninefiveone
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by lart951
I installed the euro fog and deleted my pop up's, my euro fog's have both the distance lights, just like the pop up lights and the normal fog lights. I will take a picture tonight to show you guys.
Yes, driving lights give you distance but there's a reason they are called driving lights. The driving light pattern is a lot like a pin spot. A headlight has a much different pattern and use.

Driving lights have a long throw but a narrow beam. Good for seeing a long way down a straight road but they will blind oncoming traffic, won't light overhead signs well, and don't do a good job lighting the sides.

Headlights have a pattern that balances coverage. broad pattern to the sides, more distance in the center/right, and a cutoff in coverage that keeps the light coverage below oncoming traffic's eyes while sloping up towards the right to light the shoulder and signs.

So again, just because it's a light doesn't mean it's the right light for the job. Combining the fog and driving lights doens't really give you the coverage of a proper headlight AND it's bad for oncoming traffic.
Old 07-27-2006, 12:43 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by LFA951
To all those who are not familiar with the terminology or know what they are here is your answer...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWA%3AIT
Umm are you REALLY this stupid or are you unaware that the poster of the auction used both words in order to trigger a larger number of search hits?
Anyway, the real thing can be bought from Paragon Products.
Old 07-27-2006, 12:47 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by sweanders
Doesn't seem as serious as I would expect from a Rennlist sponsor (which the seller is):

"Just makes sure that you are moving along at a good clip with a 100-watt bulb on as they heat up the housings. Don't shine them while being parked!!!!"

They seem to be the basic fog + help beam for the headligths and there is nothing fancy about them. Standard equipment really.
100 watts in the fog location actually work very well, depending on the proper aim. Ask me how I know. They are bright enough to completely replace the standard headlights...again....ask me....ahh fergettit!
Old 07-27-2006, 01:11 PM
Got Me a Porsha
Racer

Originally Posted by ehall
100 watts in the fog location actually work very well, depending on the proper aim. Ask me how I know. They are bright enough to completely replace the standard headlights...again....ask me....ahh fergettit!
Has anybody ACTUALLY cracked a lens by using 100 watt bulbs in either the fog or driving lights, for no other reason than heat? Let's try to bust this myth!

Two 100 watt bulbs with decent wiring would generate a bunch of heat, in such a small enclosure. I had a mustang gt that came with the small round Hella fog lights in the front facia...and with 100 watt bulbs, upgraded wiring and relay, the heat would desolder the bulb, but never broke a lens from heat.

If so, an 85w bulb would be ideal.
Old 07-27-2006, 01:25 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

5years. no problems. stock wiring.
Old 07-27-2006, 03:50 PM
BigNNasty
Racer

I find it funny, that he says you must be driving fast to use the 100 watt. I mean, these are lights, so they will most likely be used at night. So is he saying to drive even faster at night? Thats really mature! You even said the pop ups sacrifice aero., so you're concerned about losing 2-3mph at 150+, at night?!? With your mentality, your going to wrap that car around a pole...or get an insanely high speeding ticket, and get to know bubba for a night or two!

Secondly, you have obviously bid on these items, so why did you come to ask us? I know that you knew of these items, before, you came here to ask because you copied the auction title. Useless thread, be happy paying that, for those...

Quick Reply: 951 EURO FOG RACING DRIVING LIGHTS