Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

New Brake Woes

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2006, 08:43 PM
Ronin951
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Brake Woes

Recently I replaced my pads and rotors. I also replaced rear brake lines. Not sure where to go from here..

Rears:

After install I took the car around the block and below is what one of my rear calipers looked like. The rotor also looks to be toast from the caliper/rotor contact.

Fronts:

Jump 2 weeks of car sitting. I jacked the front of the car up and both front wheels aren't spinning freely. They'll spin, but there's a bit of a grinding sound. The wheel has more resistance than it seems should be there. I took one of the front calipers off and there are signs of caliper to rotor contact. Mainly on the rotor. Nothing really stands out on the caliper, but there are rusty streaks on the rotor.

When I initially took the front caliper off the pads were ahead (closer to the rotor) than any caliper part that could make contact; however, the piston could have moved after I pulled the caliper off. Clear...lol?

The pads are Hawk HPS and rotors are Zimmerman X drilled. (Please no flames about the drilled rotors. I concede I should have gotten stock)

To summarize, here's where I am:

1. Serious rear rotor to caliper contact
2. Front wheels that won't spin free
3. Posible mild rotor to caliper contact. Rusty stripes on rear of front rotor.
4. Brake pedal is firm, but brakes don't grab as they should. Could be new pads/rotors haven't seated?

What now???
Attached Images  
Old 07-22-2006, 09:15 PM
luckett
Three Wheelin'

My 968 has two spacers that fit between the calipers and hub. Not sure about your car.

The pads will always be rubbing the rotors and create friction as you try to turn the wheel. When you get off the brakes, the pressure releases, but the pads/pistons don't pull away from the rotors.

Rereading, you're saying both front AND rear calipers are contacting the rotors!?!
Old 07-22-2006, 10:15 PM
Ronin951
Instructor

Yes front and rear. After a close examination of the front I took off, the dust streak is topical and is only half way around the rotor. I only spun the tire about a half turn, so it seems something changed after it sat for a couple weeks. I realize pads should always touch, but I've never seen/heard anything this bad.

I know the spacers you are talking about and they are installed. They are only on the rears if I recall correctly.

The pads do have double sided tape behind them (per clarks-garage), so if the piston retracted for some reason, the pads may come with them. That still wouldn't explain caliper/rotor contact.
Old 07-22-2006, 10:25 PM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Post a pic of the rear rotor(s). And are these the stock calipers?
Old 07-22-2006, 10:38 PM
Ronin951
Instructor

Stock brakes.
Attached Images  
Old 07-23-2006, 02:20 PM
Ronin951
Instructor

Bump
Old 07-23-2006, 02:22 PM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I honestly do not know about a stock car, but I can tell you that I have to large washers between my caliper/hub. I accidently dropped one into the caliper one time and after two trips around the block and two inspections couldnt find it till I took everything apart again and it fell into my lap. Caused the caliper/pads to be seated incorrectly and made a HORRIBLE noise.
Old 07-23-2006, 02:29 PM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Rear:

Are you sure those are the correct rotors for your car? Where did you get them, and what was the part number?

When you tightened the caliper bolts, did the caliper seat all the way against the trailing arm? Or did the caliper hitting the rotor prevent the caliper from seating all the way? Looks like the caliper is scraping against the rotor on the inside, correct?

Remove the rear pads, take a pic down through the center of the caliper while it's mounted. Post a pic of the rear rotor hat as well.

Pics = good. More pics needed.
Old 07-23-2006, 03:59 PM
jacklet
Racer

caliper should be about in the middle of the rotor-center of caliper to center of rotor re-assemble take pics and post em center it from where the pads load
Old 07-23-2006, 04:00 PM
Ronin951
Instructor

I got them from 944online. The only markings I see on them is Front: 151-212-747 min th 260mm, Rear: 151-615-102 min th 220mm.

Sorry, I tried my best to get a good picture, but couldn't. I got the wheel off and was able to see the top back side of the rear caliper. The scraped piece was away from the rotor by ~ 3mm. My guess is that problem has somehow been resolved.

One thing I just remembered is when I originally got everything back together, the parking brake was stuck engaged on that same side. It was locked down so bad that when I drove out of the garage the tire just dragged. I do remember trying to back up and the rear just raising up. I wonder if the parking brake was never the issue and I somehow messed up the spacer.

Now I'm most concerned now about the front. How much resistance should I be seeing? When I give the wheel a good spin it only goes about half a rotation. All other cars I've ever worked on I can spin the wheel pretty much freely.
Old 07-23-2006, 04:25 PM
Ronin951
Instructor

Front
Attached Images     
Old 07-23-2006, 04:27 PM
Ronin951
Instructor

Rear
Attached Images     
Old 07-23-2006, 11:16 PM
jacklet
Racer

hard to tell from the pics back it up a little from what i can see doesn't look bad although i can't see the whole thing

Quick Reply: New Brake Woes