Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Transmission...is it shot?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2006, 06:57 AM
Guns951
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Transmission...is it shot?

Okay guys, the mechanic called and said the gear selector teeth are totally worn down (checked into after installing a Speed 6 short shift kit, then I couldn't select gears all of a sudden). So is it the end as the transaxle knows it or is there a simple fix? TIA!
Old 07-20-2006, 09:30 AM
jyoon
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it's probably the dogteeth. not sure if they are available separately. they are about $200 each on a 928. if you have the patience and time to take it apart, it's not that difficult to fix tranny problems. you will probably need a press.
Old 07-20-2006, 10:25 AM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Did the mech do a tear down, or is he just guessing at a shifting problem? Was it grinding when shifting? For which gear set? You can easily chew the dog teeth up when the synchro is shot.
Old 07-20-2006, 10:36 AM
Guns951
Race Car

Just guessing, I'm still in AFG and was looking forward to coming home to work on my baby and enjoy a blast before I came back....hmmm. So I guess I'll just have to have them tear it apart then!
Old 07-20-2006, 10:40 AM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

What were the shifting problems/symptoms?
Old 07-20-2006, 10:59 AM
Guns951
Race Car

Before the short shift install everything was fine, afterwards the shifting made a thump when put all the way over left and up to first (on the move left it sounded like something inside the tranny was hitting the wall, or possibly the linkage in the tunnel). Then all of a sudden it was very difficult to shift into any gear, all the movement and feeling of the slots was there, but when I would go from the first position to second and back it would go from 1 to 2 then to say either 3 or 5! Now it seems my mech can't get it to even shift at all....*sigh*
Old 07-20-2006, 11:15 AM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

I had also assumed that the mech was refering to the gear dog teeth on each gear pair, but he may be refering to the cam/lug on the gear selector shaft, or the mating channels (for the selector shaft lug) that are on each of the 3 fork shafts (rods).

But I would first take a very hard look at the short shift components and the external shift linkage on top of the trans. It doesnt sound like you have an internal problem. I would reinstall the original/factory shifter and see if the problem is with the short shift kit.

Also, you say that its a 6 speed short shift kit, Im assuming you have a 6 speed 968 trans installed (?) - youre not using a 6 speed short shift kit with the standard 944T 5 spd trans, correct?
Old 07-20-2006, 11:37 AM
caster951
Three Wheelin'

Speed 6 is a seller of the Schnell short shift kit, which is what he said he has, not a 6 speed.
Old 07-20-2006, 11:43 AM
Guns951
Race Car

The gear selector teeth on the selector plate (from where the linkage goes into the tranny) are worn down and its stuck in gear...says tranny is shot and needs to be replaced...Speed 6 brand short shift kit.
Old 07-20-2006, 01:29 PM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Sorry for the confusion, Ive never paid attention to name brands of short shift kits.

Im a little uncertain of what is being referred to as gear selector "teeth" on a "selector plate". Only thing I can think of is he must be referring to the gear selector shaft, saying that the cam/lug is worn out, or that the slots/keys in the fork rods are worn out.

I think that would be a very unusual failure. I had a couple high miles transmissions apart before, and they never showed any noticeable wear on those components. I would expect a fracture or broken failure before anything would wear out.

And I dont think that would be possible to determine that w/o pulling the selector shaft out. And it would not be very easy to pull it out, with the trans in the car. Did the mech take anything apart?

Do you have access to PET? If so, look up the trans illustrations 302-00 item #21 and 304-00 item #1, 2, 5, 7.

The gear selector can be replaced w/o disassembling the trans, its actually very simple with the trans out of the car. I dont recall them being an extremely expensive part, maybe around $100.

If the slots/keys on the forks are shot, that would require disassembly and replacment, and my guess is that a full fork set would be pretty expensive.

But saying that the tranny is shot and needs replacing sounds a little extreme.

Still seems like an odd coincidence that it shifted fine before the short shift kit was installed, and now it wont work at all (?).
Old 07-21-2006, 12:13 AM
jacklet
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

put your stock linkage back on and see what happens-u might be surprised-if you are surprised find a new mechanic i have really only seen 2nd and 3rd synchro wear and that's after a lot of abuse-a lot of it

Quick Reply: Transmission...is it shot?