Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

How much boost should I run?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2006, 07:59 PM
billindenver
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the huntley maf, which means I can and have adjusted my fuel to match whatever boost I care to run. That being said, with the stock wastegate I simply disconnected and removed all boost control. At sea level that means 23 psi, but here in denver I'm lucky to hit 19. With large boost comes the need for managing air/fuel and most importantly HEAT. Vented nose panel, ceramic coated exhaust, anything that helps your engine discard the heat the turbo will make on the track (track days I run race fuel, but on the street 93 is fine).

FYI, I've been running my car like this for 7 years or so now, dozens of track days, 60k miles and never any mercy shown. From the head down is all stock, 150k miles. Bolted on large turbo, MAF, injectors (55lb), etc. No head work needed, stock intercooler, stock radiator, stock fuel pump, adjustable FPR and dead bone reliable. My theory has been this. Modify or replace what you need to in order to get the desired results but never assume you know more about what this car needs to run well than the porsche engineers did. So modify ONLY what you need to, and trust the original engineering. Every time a friend of mine has gone ***** out crazy modifying one of these...its just made it less reliable....and my car was still faster.

So, how much boost?

As much as the wastegate spring will hold...which in my case just isn't enough. :-)

Bill
89 GT-3s
Old 07-20-2006, 09:47 PM
BlueRiver86
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You're a smart man Bill, thanks for the wisdom.

Quick Reply: How much boost should I run?