Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

15PSI with SciVision chips vs. 15PSI with external boost controller?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 04:33 PM
RK951
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 15PSI with SciVision chips vs. 15PSI with external boost controller?

We installed a Lindsey dual port wastegate in my car this weekend and wow what a difference. To my surprise, the SciVision DME/KLR chips I have installed work exactly as advertised and keeps the boost pressure at 15PSI without an external boost controller. So now I am wondering, is there any advantage to removing the cycling valve and using an external boost controller if I'm going to set my boost level at 15PSI anyway? The boost pressure limitation is a reality of California 91 octane.
Old 07-17-2006, 06:42 PM
Transaxle
Instructor

Without the CV the KLR has no chance to reduce boost in case of knocking.
Old 07-17-2006, 08:27 PM
RK951
Rennlist Member

I completely understand that to use an external boost controller would mean loss of the CV's ability to respond to knock. This is going to sound like a backhanded compliment but I can't figure out why more people aren't using your chips as with a good wastegate they work exactly as presented. While I've caught your attention, does the FQS switch have the same functionality with your DME/KLR chipset as stock ones?
Old 07-17-2006, 08:47 PM
Transaxle
Instructor

Originally Posted by RK951
..., does the FQS switch have the same functionality with your DME/KLR chipset as stock ones?
Yes - exactly the same. The additional power is based in the KLR chip. The DME chip delivers the coresponding fuel and ignition with the known corrections through the FQS settings. The overboost protection in the DME is adjusted to the new boost curves in the KLR.

The "biggest problem" with these chips is that they do not work with worn CV or wastegates. You may "repair" a wastegate with 2-3mm shimming but you have to replace a CV if it is worn.
Old 07-18-2006, 05:59 AM
danny951
Three Wheelin'

What's the latest on your 1.2bar KLR chips?
Old 07-18-2006, 11:51 AM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 93 Likes on 55 Posts

We installed a Lindsey dual port wastegate in my car this weekend and wow what a difference. To my surprise, the SciVision DME/KLR chips I have installed work exactly as advertised and keeps the boost pressure at 15PSI without an external boost controller. So now I am wondering, is there any advantage to removing the cycling valve and using an external boost controller if I'm going to set my boost level at 15PSI anyway? The boost pressure limitation is a reality of California 91 octane.
Rick, I am in california as well and I run 19psi all the time with pump gas and a mix of 20% xylene.
Old 07-18-2006, 02:12 PM
951North
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With this setup is there any advantage using the DP wastegate, or would a new "Clubgate" WG from lindsey do, assuming you put a 15# spring in there? If one never planned to go past 15 psi that is?

Otherwise can you run a DP on a otherwise stock system?

Still learning here

Thanks.
Old 07-19-2006, 12:03 AM
RK951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lart951
Rick, I am in california as well and I run 19psi all the time with pump gas and a mix of 20% xylene.
Hey Luis,
I recognize its possible to run higher boost by using race fuel or mixing in xylene or toluene with premium 91, however using just premium 91 octane gas ~15PSI is the upper limit. Of course the exception to this is Laust whose car is doing 23PSI on regular 87 octane although he has a very unique setup.

Jason,
The only differences between the Lindsey dual port wastegate and the Clubgate wastegate are
1. Dual port has stiffer spring
2. Clubgate includes a fitting in the side port with a 1/8inch hole for venting to atmosphere.
3. Dual port has red finish, Clubgate is blue. Mine is black
Unless you are planning on competing in PCA events which require stock parts, get the dual port version as you can always use it like a clubgate, which is essentially what I am doing.
Old 07-19-2006, 04:53 AM
Andial951
Legend Killer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by danny951
What's the latest on your 1.2bar KLR chips?

ahhhhhhhh....yes.....I have been waiting for the answer to this question for a while.

BTW - Scivision..........I am still waiting for my MAF to be returned......Should it take more than 2 weeks from Germany??

Quick Reply: 15PSI with SciVision chips vs. 15PSI with external boost controller?