Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Fidenza vs. Lindsey Racing aluminum flywheels?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2006, 06:24 PM
2bridges
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't supose anybody has, or has seen dyno data - before and after lightened clutch/flywheel??

I have no doubt rpm will come on faster, but I would love to see dyno pull as I would expect it to be clearly evident.
Old 07-14-2006, 07:27 AM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Not on one of these cars, but I've done the dyno comparo with a few others - the power difference isn't large, 1-2%, but is repeatable and consistent across the chart.

Sam
Old 07-14-2006, 11:16 AM
ninefiveone
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 26 Posts

You should always rev match at the track. It's always bad to just dump the clutch when downshifting at the track. You're managing your contact patch and weight transfer and rev matching is important to both. There isn't a clutch/flywheel combo out there where that isn't true. Without rev matching, the effect isn't all that different from pulling on the parking brake in your braking/turn in zones. Good formula for a spin and definitely not conducive to low lap times.

I've had my fidanza and spec 2 clutch for a couple years now. the clutch doens't chatter much anymore after breakin.

You're not going to see a big difference in power with a lightened flywheel but you will see a difference in how easily the car revs.

Measure the reference pin height very carefully with the fidanza! Don't just measure the pin height from the surface of the flywheel. The fidanza isn't the exact same diameter as the stock flywheel. Measure pin height from the center or you'll be chasing poor running, hard start issues for a long time.
Old 07-14-2006, 01:45 PM
2bridges
Drifting

great stuff guys!

Sam - I was thinking the dyno may show the difference how fast pulls through rpm... but that really is not going to demonstrate any diffence as the dyno will load...... hmmmm....

Anybody know a different method to capture decreased time through rpm due to lightning clutch/flywheel??
Old 07-14-2006, 02:29 PM
mtnman82
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

This is one of my concerns with the Fidenza flywheel - the reference pin height, and also there was a post not too long ago about the ref pin (?) being drilled in the wrong spot (off like 7 degrees if I remember correctly). I guess I'm going to have to check the ***** really really good. I'm sure I'll be posting when I have it in hand and am doing the job - to make sure before it goes in. You'd think if they were CNCing these things there wouldn't be any difference between units, but what do I know ...
Old 11-03-2006, 06:44 PM
facboy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mtnman82
I considered the KEP, but didn't hear from anyone using one with a cup or 930 disk, didn't find that combo when I was searching old threads, and I wasn't sure I wanted to bite the bullet on an exotic disk (wasn't sure what I'd really be looking for or wanting). Plus, I jumped - maybe a little too early - on saving a few bucks when I got the pp + disk. If (when?) things start to slip when I finally get the stage 2 turbo on, that's probably the route I'll take (KEP pp + ?? disk). I guess I'm gonna be a guinnea pig for the board
there's quite a few of us using KEP with a cup disc. i have a stage 2 with a cup disc which i street on a daily driver (well, used to be daily driver, i dun drive so much nowadays). no issues. i don't have a fidanza though, i have a lightened stock.
Old 11-04-2006, 11:08 AM
Red1
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mtnman82
I considered the KEP, but didn't hear from anyone using one with a cup or 930 disk, didn't find that combo when I was searching old threads
There are several people on this board with clutch setups like that. Mine is the cup disc, KEP pp and Spec flywheel. Runs flawlessly on the street. I love it. Zero chatter. So smooth my wife could drive it - if she weren't so afraid of the car...

Quick Reply: Fidenza vs. Lindsey Racing aluminum flywheels?