Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Where to Buy 2.8 Liter Stroker Components?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2006, 03:43 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my vote is for Chris White. there is no question whatsoever that he will do a thorough, professional and honest job for you. He also owns, drives and races 944/951's and is a site sponsor. He's a no bull**** kind of guy.
...or you can go with a company that may or may not be willing to support you all the way.
Easy decision, but good luck either way.
Old 07-08-2006, 08:41 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Andial951
Not true! Just closed the service part.
Good to know, I thought the whole operation was closing.
Old 07-08-2006, 08:51 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by jturbo
Chris,

I had considered a 3.0L engine swap, but I am not certain how to go about doing so. Would it be necessary to replace the following items or would the stock 2.5L components bolt on?

Water Pump
Engine mounting points (Do they need to be modified?)
Clutch
Transmission
This is where it gets interesting!
The three liter block is externally exactly the same as the 2.5 except for the cooling passage connection to the head. You can mix and match turbo and 3.0 parts.
The water pump is a different part for the 3.0 because the belt drive is wider. A 2.5 pump will bolt on.
The block has the same mounting points for the arms going down to the engine mounts.
The crank has the same bolt pattern for the flywheel.
Transmission- an S2 trans will not appreciate the full power of a 3.0 turbo!

Many other parts are interchangeable – oil pan, balance shafts, A/C & Alt brackets, PS brackets, Air/Oil separator, heat shields, bell housing – just about all external bolt on parts.

Chris White
Old 07-08-2006, 09:05 AM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Chris White,
Can the wider S2/968 timing belt be used on a 3.0 block with 2.7 head ? Is it the same length as the stock 2.5 turbo timing belt ?
Old 07-08-2006, 09:10 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

You would have to swap some other parts from the belt drive (crank sprocket, cam gear, and idlers/tensioner. You can update/backdate the drives as long as you use all the parts specific to the belt width. The belts are the same length.

Chris
Old 07-08-2006, 09:16 AM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

I suppose that the wider S2/968 cam gear fits into the 2.5 cam gear housing, then ?
Thanks.
Old 07-08-2006, 11:47 AM
jturbo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Chris,

The 968 turbo S used the 3.0L block, a 2.7L head to match the coolant passages, the 3.0L Crank, 968 turbo S pistons. I'm not sure what rods they used though?

Your 3.0L Senerio #2, which is identical to the above mentioned setup, sounds like it would be the best bet (most reliable, least fabrication, etc.) considering this is the way the factory went.

I am just curious at this point if the remaining 2.5L and associated 944 turbo components will bolt on to the engine?

Also,

How would you prep the 3.0L block? And what would this setup cost for you to create and assemble this small block setup?
Old 07-08-2006, 01:04 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Thanks Chris,

The 968 turbo S used the 3.0L block, a 2.7L head to match the coolant passages, the 3.0L Crank, 968 turbo S pistons. I'm not sure what rods they used though?

Your 3.0L Senerio #2, which is identical to the above mentioned setup, sounds like it would be the best bet (most reliable, least fabrication, etc.) considering this is the way the factory went.

I am just curious at this point if the remaining 2.5L and associated 944 turbo components will bolt on to the engine?
All the accessories will bolt on. I would go with the old 2.5 style belt because it would be easier to put together. I am not sure if the wider belt will fit inside the 2.5 style cam gear housing.

Also,
How would you prep the 3.0L block? And what would this setup cost for you to create and assemble this small block setup?
If we go the sleeved route the cost of the Darton sleeves, JE pistons and rings is $2850 for the parts and machining. For assembly I normally charge $750 for labor and parts at cost - (bearings, seals & gaskets and any other additional steps – magnafluxing, balancing, powdercoating). Basically your are in the $4 to $5k range based on you supplying the block, rods and crank.

Chris White
Old 07-08-2006, 01:43 PM
Diver944
Pro

Originally Posted by Chris White

3.0 engine version 2 – same as the 2.8 but start with a 3.0 block. You will need either a 2.7 head
Chris White
This is the route I took when my turbocharger disintegrated and scored my original 2.5 block. I bought a complete 2.7 engine (the block is the same as a 3 litre) and a 3 litre crank. The block was machined by Perfect Bore here in the UK to accept Nikasil lined steel sleeves that bring the capacity up to 3.2 litre. Custom JE pistons and Carillo rods complete the short block.

The 2.7 head has been machined, skimmed and ported and will use a new set of sodium filled valves. There is no head gasket as such but four copper crush rings will seal the combustion chambers and a modified cometic gasket will seal the waterways. It's been a long project (starting last July) but the engine is now complete and shortly to go back in the car
Attached Images  
Old 07-08-2006, 02:41 PM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Paul, that sounds like a very interesting project!
Please post more pics!
Old 07-08-2006, 03:25 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

Thanks Chris,

Also,

As I understand it, the 968 turbos built by Porsche used a unique head rather than the actual 89 2.7 head. The 2.7 head is the popular choice for the rest of us though.

Few other random comments: Carrillo sells rods directly, but they charge a lot. I bought mine from Andial -- had them on the shelf. I imagine they still stock them. I talked to the EBS guys last month at a swap meet -- they sell JE pistons for this purpose, but only for blocks that have been Nikasil coated at a place like US Chrome. Andial may also still have a few sets of 104.5 turbo pistons from Mahle.
Old 07-08-2006, 06:01 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Chris had just started doing the 2.7 series after jwl did his 2.8L a few years ago or I'm sure he would have given it a good look. Here is the clearance that you get with Carillo rods so you can see where stock rods and the rod bolts would cause issues with the girdle and the front of the oil pan.

Old 07-09-2006, 06:16 PM
jean_noir
Racer

bump 4 later
Old 07-10-2006, 03:37 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

jean,
If you go to the top of the screen, you will find a tab that says "thread tools". Click that and you can subscribe to any thread without posting in it. Responses will pop up in your email if you select that option in your user cp.
Old 07-18-2006, 03:36 PM
Synth
Instructor

Originally Posted by PuttingThePoorBackInPorsche
There's no "cheap" 2.8L conversion, only varying degrees of expensive. There's a shop out of Massachusetts called "Under Pressure Performance" that used to carry the 3.0L cranks for about $1,300 but don't know if they still do.
They are still around, I found them at the website area951.com

Quick Reply: Where to Buy 2.8 Liter Stroker Components?